What's new

The Archive of Incomplete TV DVDs - Buyers Beware! (Updated 3/27/05) (1 Viewer)

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter
Real Name
Christian Preischl
Dane, the song replaced from Dawson's Creek Season 1 is "I'm the only one" by Melissa Etheridge. The new song is "I wanna be your underwear" by Bryan Adams and was also featured in the international airings of Dawson's Creek. The episode in question was 1x10 "Double Date".

For a comprehensive list of music changes check out Dawson's Creek Music.

Chris

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter
Thanks, Chris. Thanks for the link, too!

Rhoq - I couldn't even find a record of that DVD on Amazon or tvshowsondvd.com so I would have been suspect in the first place.

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
Some corrections to the master list and clarifications on all the parts my earlier post that didn't get put into the master list:

Buffy the Vampire Slayer: The Complete Third Season: "Anne" and "Dead Man's Party" feature the old theme music. As originally broadcast, there was new theme music at the beginning of season 3. Here, the new theme music starts on episode 3.

Buffy the Vampire Slayer (seasons 2-6): On the US releases, the previously segments are missing on all episodes from 2x02, "Some Assembly Required," forward.

Babylon 5: Information about the two versions of "The Gathering" can be found here.

Babylon 5: The Complete Second Season: Details on the re-dubbed line here. Big spoilers if you haven't seen Babylon 5 up to this point. Bottom line is it was to fix an error, so not a bad thing.
Also, "Points of Departure" and "Revelations" have the same credits sequence as the rest of the season. Originally, they were given a slightly different sequence to avoid giving away spoilers for happenings in the latter episode.

Chappelle's Show: Season One: Episodes 3-5 and 7-10 have had musical guests removed for rights reasons.

Clerks: Uncensored: Re-adds a bunch of jokes that were cut out of the ABC airings for PC reasons such as the clip from Flintstone's List.

Forever Knight: The Trilogy Part 1: Only part 1 of the pilot is the shortened US version. The rest of the episodes are the original Canadian versions.

Futurama: Volume One: In "Space Pilot 3000," an alien gets into a cab. He originally said to take him to JFK Jr. Airport. This has been redubbed to Radio City Mutant Hall.

Roswell: The Complete First Season: Popular music has been given cheaper replacements in all episodes.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Starsky & Hutch - Season 2: There were two feature-length episodes in this season when the show originally aired, but the syndication two-parters have been used instead (Las Vegas Strangler and Murder At Sea).

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter
Real Name
Christian Preischl
The two Best-of Wonder Years releases from Laserlight have most (if not all) of the music replaced.

Chris

Randy*S

Second Unit
Real Name
Randy
I have a question... Has there ever been a perfect set released?
I feel like we're in a rock and a hard place.
I mean most of us wait since our youth for our favorite shows to be released but when they're finally are they're "edited"!
I mean what do we do? Enjoy what we get, complain, or do without altogether?
Do the studios even listen to their customers or even care?
What do we do?
Sometimes I think we just gripe too damn much but then editing a cartoon like jonny quest for crappy PC reasons really sucks! A cartoon!
Good/bad, black/white will always be good/bad, black/white for me!
Anyway I feel like we're being too negative, are we?

Michael Sliger

Second Unit

Yes, there are a few trims. Using ol' Google to jog the memory...

- a line by Biggles in Episode 33 ("Salad Days") was accidentally cut off (it is very jarring)

- the word "masterbating" is trimmed from the first sketch of Episode 31 ("The All-England Summarize Proust Competition")

- in episode 38 ("A Book at Bedtime") the closing trailers "Dad's Doctor" and "Dad's Pooves" have been cut (A&E's mastering team was fooled by the early credits apparently)

- the famous "gangrene" overdub is in place in Episode 19 ("It's A Living" or "School Prizes") instead of the original "cancer" line (which AFAIK was only heard in the first broadcast and has never been heard again)

- and supposedly a Party Political Broadcast sketch somewhere in Season 3 is heavily edited, but the location is incorrectly stated by several reviewers on the Internet.

As for Firefly, the episode order may have required some small changes to the recaps, but they are still missing and should be mentioned in Dane's list.

Rhoq

Supporting Actor

I recall TVShowsOnDVD having it listed on the site not too long ago. I just checked, and it seems to have been removed.

I just checked Amazon and I was able find it on their Canadian site. The 5 Disc-Set was only released in Canada...

The Outer Limits: Best Of Seasons 1 & 2

Here is a link to the set on Koch's website: http://www.kochcan.com/05_catalogue/...V-6515&frame=1

It also appears that they will be releasing the "Complete Third Season" in October: http://www.kochcan.com/05_catalogue/...V-6517&frame=1

Vincent-P

Second Unit
The X-Files: Season 2
During the opening credits of "Ascension", the tagline says "The Truth Is Out There", instead of "Deny Everything"

The X-Files Season 5
During the opening credits of "Redux II", the tagline says "The Truth Is Out There", instead of "All Lies Lead To The Truth"

During the opening credits of "The End", the tagline says "The Truth Is Out There", instead of "The End"

24: Season 1
The American release is missing about 1.5 minutes from the last 5 episodes. These scenes were added for UK broadcast to pad the running time and are featured on the UK DVD set.

The messed up X-Files sets really bug me. I have tried getting in contact with people at 1013 and Fox, but have been unsuccessful. I would like to start a campaign to get them fixed.

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
Six Feet Under has all of the previously segments, Next on segments, the full uncut episodes, all in their original aspect ratios, with the original music.

The only sucky part is the retail price for each season is 100 bucks...

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter
I agree with Dan RE: 24 Season 1. The DVD is concurrent with the original U.S. broadcast in that regard.

Six Feet Under and Dick Van Dyke Show season sets have been mentioned as basically perfect sets. How about Freaks & Geeks though? All of the music (a lot of it quite costly) has been retained and all of the episodes are complete (the Pilot is a slightly longer director/producer-approved version, the only change that can be noted). Not to mention tons of special features.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I would object to the categorization of the Garfield and Friends episodes as "incomplete," as this is how they aired outside of the US (presumably the Canadian distributor supplied them). The "US Acres" title was only used in the U.S.

Jeff Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

The American version is the original one. I don't care how they aired in other countries. (These are Region 1 DVDs anyway.)

From the package:
"Each episode contains a Garfield sandwich, featuring two slices of 'Garfield' and a chewy center of 'U.S. Acres'..." Having the cartoons retitled "Orson's Farm" is false advertising.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Fair enough, but the 1989 and beyond episodes were originally 1-hour long in the US, but not on the DVD.

MattHR

Screenwriter
"Charlie's Angels" Season 2 has the first two episodes ("Angels in Paradise" and "Angels on Ice") presented in their altered 2-part syndicated formats. They were originally broadcast as 2-hour episodes. The liner notes list their original airdates correctly, but indicate them as two parts. It implies that they were each broadcast in two-parts on a single evening.

Strangely, each part runs the correct time of approximately 50 minutes, except "Paradise-Part 2" which runs only 46 minutes. To accommodate the extra opening titles, closing titles and re-caps required for the two-part edits, quite a bit would have been cut, not to mention the normal editing for syndication shortening. The new opening titles for "Part 2" are played over re-cap footage (about 5-6 minutes) from "Part 1", but awkwardly blends into footage from "Part 2". There are also a few noticeable edits within the episodes, but I have nothing to compare them with to know if they are intentional.

According to charliesangels.com a scene where Sabrina (Kate Jackson) visits guest-star Don Ho is missing. Don was singing a song in this scene, which may explain its omission.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks