What's new

The Amazing Race Season 19: Meet The New Cast (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I think personality-wise, the teams haven't made much impact on me either. It was too bad the twins were so far back, had they been able to sneak into the 2nd to last place, it would have been interesting if karma would have rewarded them with not going the begging for money route, and enduring the on-foot travel route (the cameraman must have hated all that on-foot racing while carrying his gear too).

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
It just seems like $150 seemed awfully a lot for a cab ride in Thailand, which is why I thought something just did not seem right. That, combined with the fact that cab drivers have the reputation of ripping off tourists. But then, there is that factor of some teams that had to go back and forth on the 2nd roadblock, because I just remembered how those teams that had to do that, ended up with money troubles at the bus station.

Paul D G

Screenwriter
Just watched the 2nd half of the show again. Yep, they offered $100 and the woman in green had a calculator with her and said they had to pay $150. Currently, 4500 Baht = 146USD. Expensive, maybe, but I don't think we were told how far they had to travel.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
Originally Posted by Paul D G

Just watched the 2nd half of the show again. Yep, they offered $100 and the woman in green had a calculator with her and said they had to pay $150. Currently, 4500 Baht = 146USD. Expensive, maybe, but I don't think we were told how far they had to travel.

Yeah, I just watched most of the episode myself, and you are right in how things went. I must have caught up on Ernie going off at the "terrible" driver, immediately assuming he was right and what the driver did was wrong.

Also, funny how I pick up some things on a second viewing that I did not on the first. It is more clear how much of a dick Laurence was to his son, with the whole note-taking thing. Also, some of the things that one of the snowboarders said while doing the 2nd roadblock... well, that may violate HTF rules.

And very smart of Jennifer to snap photos of the temple, before taking it apart.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
I would have no idea where Malawi is located on the map. And I am a bit of a geography nerd.

David_Jr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
I thought it a bit odd that she could use the cab driver's phone to take a picture, but the first team could not consult with each other when the two had memorized opposite halves of the sculpture. Rather than consulting he went all the way back by cab to take another look. But it was okay to use the cab driver's camera phone? Odd. Also, those beds must have been heavy because they really slowed most of the teams down while carrying them. Glad Amani and MArcus didn't get eliminated, but another team goes from first to worst!

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
"This is a High-Speed Race and this is the opposite of a High-Speed Race."

Good week. Enjoyed the African leg of the race. Shame that
frontrunners were sent back because they didn't pay their driver.

Right now Bill & Cathi are my choice to win, and hopefully, age

won't be a factor in finishing the remaining legs of the race.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
Originally Posted by David_Jr

I thought it a bit odd that she could use the cab driver's phone to take a picture, but the first team could not consult with each other when the two had memorized opposite halves of the sculpture. Rather than consulting he went all the way back by cab to take another look. But it was okay to use the cab driver's camera phone? Odd.

I didn't find it any different than taking notes, which was what most of the other teams did. I'm sure if it was wasn't allowed, the clue would have said so. Just like in the 1st leg, with the memorization roadblock, when the clue specified that racers were not allowed to take notes. Also, I didn't think the other team member was allowed anywhere near the one doing the roadblock, as I noticed the ones not doing it, had to wait in a designated area.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
One of the more exciting legs of the race thanks to the near
photo-finish between Ernie/Cindy and Andy/Tommy.

Though not my favorite team, you really have to admire
Andy/Tommy for their consistent first-place finishes.

One thing that confused me....

Why did Laurence and Zac do a U-Turn on Amani and
Marcus who clearly just passed them?

I am still rooting for Bill and Cathi and immensely
enjoying this show in the process.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
Originally Posted by Ronald Epstein

One of the more exciting legs of the race thanks to the near
photo-finish between Ernie/Cindy and Andy/Tommy.

Though not my favorite team, you really have to admire
Andy/Tommy for their consistent first-place finishes.

And they won more cash again. Sucks for Ernie & Cindy to use the Express Pass, and still not finish 1st in the leg. Just like what happened last season, with Gary & Mallory. It gets annoying after a while that the same team keeps winning leg after leg, and although Andy & Tommy has not done much to rub me the wrong way, I still have a bit of a hard time rooting for them. Can't exactly put my finger on it, though.

Originally Posted by Ronald Epstein [url=/t/314354/the-amazing-race-season-19-meet-the-new-cast/30#post_3868007]

Yes, they did U-turn a team that was ahead of them. Just shows that Laurence is not only an douche, but an idiot as well, clearly picking the wrong team. When a team is walking in the opposite direction of you, chances are, they already reached that spot (in this case: the U-Turn box). Luckily for them, there was one team that they were way behind them, and the option to U-Turn Jeremy & Sandy, which he knew, were behind.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Can't exactly put my finger on it, though.

I'm with you. Difficult to warm up to these guys.

I don't like the personalities. Sort of a surfer dude thing combined

with a bit of cockiness.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
Always having a little problem figuring out the Quote system. Anyway, just more thoughts on the last leg...

At first, I thought it was another piece of cake Speed Bump, and sure looked like it. It was a piece of something all right, as it seemed hard and frustrating, which just makes it more remarkable that Amani & Marcus was able to recover from that, and choosing the harder Detour, and still not get eliminated in the race. And they can thank Jennifer for that.

Speaking of which, while it was sad to see Justin & Jennifer to get eliminated, they have only themselves to blame. Well, just Jennifer, as it was a risk waiting around, hoping for another team to come along. I mean, I would have thought the natural instinct would be, if your teammate has the clue, then you go back and read the clue. At least, Justin did not go off on his sister, and was supportive of her.

Also with the Double U-Turn... teams are so lucky that it did not happen to any of them, as both Detours were very tiring. I bet a team had to do a 2nd one, they would probably have a mercy elimination there. And now, it has been computerized, which may take some getting used to. I was expecting some kind of product placement there.

Jeremy & Sandy cutting it close again, always finishing second to last in the last few legs. They are just lucky another team just had all kinds of bad luck and finished way behind. Also, very interesting to see Sandy & Laurence trying to work together at the Roadblock, considering what happened in the last leg. I guess they may stick around until the final 4, but I just find this team very bland.

So with the remaining teams, my rankings from most liked to least liked...

Bill & Cathi

Amani & Marcus

Ernie & Cindy

Andy & Tommy

Jeremy & Sandy

Laurence & Zak

Looking forward to next week.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Originally Posted by Ronald Epstein

They thought that Amani/Marcus "were lost," and were "going the wrong way," which makes no sense at all, but that's what Laurence said as the teams passed each other (as opposed to voice over after-the-fact), so I guess he honestly thought it. In any event, it was stupid. Though, I guess their thinking was sort of reinforced by the fact that a few of the teams were crossed out on the screen, but Amani/Marcus were not (I assume because someone updates the app as teams checked in).

Ultimately I guess I don't understand the thought process of some (most) of these teams. You have an instance where you can literally see another team behind you, a team which is arguably the strongest in the competition to-this-point, and you choose not to U-turn them on one of the rare days where you have two punishing, physical challenges? This is how I would have played it: as soon as you find out it's a double U-turn, you use the express pass. On the way to the mat, if you happen to come across the U-turn board (as they almost certainly would have today), you use it on the strongest team.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
My apologies to Ronald, for not reading your post properly and answering your question incorrectly. (Edit to add - somehow I misread "Why" as "Did")

Originally Posted by Josh Dial

Though, I guess their thinking was sort of reinforced by the fact that a few of the teams were crossed out on the screen, but Amani/Marcus were not (I assume because someone updates the app as teams checked in).

Missed that part the first time, so I rewatched that part, and found that it was only the eliminated teams that were crossed out.

Wished I could find a screenshot of that.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Is this the screenshot that you were looking for?

(Click on photo for larger image)

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Nice! That makes more sense, then, and further shows just how stupid their decision to U-turn someone who passed you was :)

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
The leg in Copenhagen, which looks like a nice place. The climbing of stairs and the view of Old Town, just making me itch for another trip to Europe, even if it is tiring.

Quite a few facepalm moments in this leg, involving 2 teams. And yet, they are both still in the race.

Plus one of the few times I was fooled by the editing.

I'll write more tomorrow morning.

Paul D G

Screenwriter
***Index Page Spoiler Space***Index Page Spoiler Space***Index Page Spoiler Space***Index Page Spoiler Space***

We really had no problem seeing Laurence get Philiminated this week. He just never seemed to like it when Zac did a challenge and more often than not his comments just made him look like a dick.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks