What's new

The Almost Official 2004 Austin GTG Announcement & Invitation (1 Viewer)

Chris Quinn

Screenwriter
Curtis-

The Salt Lick has a second location in the airport terminal. You can start on BBQ before you get your bags.

CurtisSC

Screenwriter
Yeah....and then meet everyone for drinks and dinner.

Do I have to bring my own bib?

You know, the BBQ is what pushed me over the edge for this Austin thing. :D

Scott Oliver

Screenwriter
Good news the Onix equipment is on its way to my abode.

Even better news is that I finally have my own personal cabling issues resolved - it was a 4 month period of frustration waiting on the manufacturer to produce them while he kept missng his self-imposed deadlines. In the end, my dealer is in all likelihood going to drop the line and they gave me their demo units with a few upgrades thrown in. My system is alive again!

Victor.Y

Stunt Coordinator
I have again updated the post #2 with the responses sent in. If I've missed anyone, please let me know.

Curtis, BBQ is Saturday night. You'll need a few bibs. :) Feel free to have a snack on Friday, but Hula Hut will have plenty of drinks and chips and salsa to keep us entertained until we get seated.

County Line:

Speaking of BBQ, David Hoffman has suggested we look into BBQ at County Line instead. CL is right up there with Salt Lick, in terms of Austin's finest BBQ. The location on 360/2222 has a great view (though Salt Lick is arguably the most authentic experience), but only 10 minutes away instead of 50 minutes each way. David did some legwork and it appears we can phone ahead for seating so there will be minimal wait time. This will allow us to extend the listening session until 6:30p (extra 1.5 hours) if everyone is interested.

If we have 25 folks for dinner on Saturday, we can reserve a private room for about $2/person @ CL.

In all cases, we are talking about familiy-style *all-you-can-eat* BBQ dinners. Expect about $20-ish/person + drinks.

Thoughts? I think more listening time and less driving would be nice.

--Victor

PS - Salt Lick is unique that it is in a dry county, bring your own beer. County Line is in town; you can buy beer/drinks normally.

Nhan_H

Second Unit
Hmmm...I'd be up for less driving. 50 minutes does seem kinda far away, and so we'll have a greater chance of getting separated. It's great you can BYOB, but I don't know how much beer I can drink during a BBQ buffet :) Maybe we should save the drinking till afterwards :) But that's just one person's opinion.

BradJudy

Stunt Coordinator
I've been to the Salt Lick - good stuff, but I remember it seeming like it was in the middle of nowhere. It was a kick to see a BYOB restaurant. Should be a good time.

Nils Luehrmann

Senior HTF Member
Someone get a rope!

CL is OK, but I think among BBQ aficionados it ranks about 3rd-4th among the other Austin venues with Salt Lick securely in the #1 spot.

Salt Lick did open a second location (not including the one in the airport) at Davenport Ranch on 360 just South of 2222 and the 360 bridge - which is just about a mile or so away from CL. The only problem I have with that location is that the decor is all restaurant instead of the authentic classic Texas ranch ambiance of the original location. Instead, it has all the look and feel of a typical upscale hip restaurant. They also have a fairly large private room, but it may already be booked.

Of course if convenience and ambiance is preferred, then CL is an excellent choice and their BBQ is no slouch. If CL is the final choice, I'm sure no one will leave dissatisfied, but I will be sneaking in a bottle of sauce from Salt Lick as it is one of the best in the country. :emoji_thumbsup: (and yes, I'll share). :)

Scott Oliver

Screenwriter
Nils,
I'll respond in the appropriate venue concerning the vinyl and poker. :D

Well since I for sure can't join you guys Saturday night at the Salt Lick for dinner, but have a snowball's chance in hell to catch you eating at the County Line I might have to change my vote. Nils is right the Salt Lick is better, and verrry Austin. However, the ability to reserve a room at the County Line and its much closer proximity to Victor's house makes a lot of sense.

Salt Lick 360 could be an option as well, but I am not sure they offer the all-you-can-eat family style platter. Plus it is kind of like BBQ for the yuppies, not very Texas. Who eats BBQ with white linens and fancy wine and cocktails???

Victor.Y

Stunt Coordinator
I just had Salt Lick 360, and it's veerrry yuppie. A definite no-no for authentic feeling Austin BBQ. :) Again, I'm up for options, personally the experience and BBQ at Salt Lick can't be beat.

I'm not sure about y'all, but if more listening time is needed, we could do 2 channel in the afternoon; and a home theater session at night...

Yet, Austin has much to offer in the way of night life, so it would indeed be a shame to miss it... i.e. coffee/dessert at Mozart's or La Dolce Vita, the view from the 360 bridge or mt bonnel....

V

CurtisSC

Screenwriter
I don't really care where we go.....I am sure anything you guys pick is better than any BBQ I can get out here.

DavidMHoffman

Auditioning
I for one will never argue against Salt Lick having some of the best bbq in town. They at least have the best sauce. My concern was the hour long drive and the fact that we only had 5 hours of listening time scheduled for the weekend. County Line on the Lake has really good food, a great view of the river, and still has a great Austin vibe to it. If we are sure of at least 25 people we can reserve their private room. Otherwise we can just call ahead for a big table.

Salt Lick 360 does offer all you can eat in the party room but is the least "authentic" of all the places mentioned.

If we're going to be bbq-ing any speakers, they better be made of mesquite. This is Texas after all.

Victor.Y

Stunt Coordinator
Oak? Mesquite? I can volunteer those old particle board Pioneer speakers for the BBQ after we know we won't need them for a stand. :) heh...

It's now less than one week and counting...

I don't think we have 25 folks for dinner on saturday, so we are not going to reserve a private room ahead of time. The folks who show up for the Saturday session -- we can make a group decision in the afternoon.

I'll begin on maps and directions and send that out by e-mail soon.

Please post or e-mail me any questions... I can almost taste the fun!

Victor.Y

Stunt Coordinator
Ok the "all-you-need-to-know" visitor's packet I've made so far has 8 pages and I could still use some contributions from the locals...

Please send me suggestions for places to visit around Austin, etc... with maps and directions. I will combine these all together into the packet for everyone.

I'm hoping to send it out through e-mail Tuesday morning. Sorry for the short notice.

Also -- folks driving in and local -- we could use a few folding chairs for additional seating. Please bring a few if you have room.

Thanks! T-minus-5 days!!

Victor.Y

Stunt Coordinator
If you are attending and did not get the following, with attachment, let me know so I can resend it to you.

------

Hello!

Well... the time is getting near! The festivities begin this Friday, and I look forward to seeing each one of you. Attached you will find a welcome packet -- with maps, directions, contact information, itinerary, and places to visit around Austin.

See you soon!

Take care,

Victor
Austin, TX

Nils Luehrmann

Senior HTF Member
I realize Audio and the Austin lifestyle are the main attractions for the GTG, but if anyone is interested I was able to get a demo unit of the new AE700 (HDFP LCD) from Panasnic. This is a very high profile projectr that is in great demand right now.

I have been taking it around for others to demo and would be happy to do the same for those interested.

Regardless, I look forward to seeing you all soon!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks