What's new

The Almost Official 2004 Austin GTG Announcement & Invitation (1 Viewer)

Victor.Y

Stunt Coordinator
I have sent an e-mail to all the registered attendes -- if you did not get an e-mail, or have not signed up yet, please let me know.

Thanks!

Victor

Nhan_H

Second Unit
Actually, they sell their own speaker selectors. I think they're a little bit above the ratshack models :)

http://www.htd.com/htdspeaksel.html

I guess we should try the 8-zone ones, since they have a max of 200 Watts/speaker cutoff point vs. 140 watts for the 4-zone one.

Re: this past weekend. Must have been fun for ya. I went out drinking for a bit Friday night (before that, Monday, Wednesday, and Thursday...had the week off). Stayed in Saturday, since I didn't want to be around my depressed UT buddies :)

Yup, the West End is always fun to hang out at. As a matter of fact, I've not been there (until last Wednesday) for about a couple of years :frowning:

Nhan_H

Second Unit
How will we be handling the bookshelf speakers? I didn't want to have to bring my piano-finish ones and risk scratching them. Can we use just a pair or 2 and take the bookshelves on and off, as needed?

Also, the HTD guys volunteered a couple of spools of speaker wires and some banana plugs, just in case we need some.

Victor.Y

Stunt Coordinator

For the bookshelf speakers, I think we'll be using the secondary area. One idea is this: I have two useless floorstanding speakers (old Pioneer 12") with a big base... we can use those for "stands" if that's ok. I will lay protective linen to protect your speakers.

Ghetto, but entirely workable solution ;) We are going to have only a pair or two set up at a time...

Scott Oliver

Screenwriter
Surely someone who is already providing a bookshelf speaker can bring their stands as well (non-piano finish, of course). 28" is a bit too tall for most bookshelfs to ideally perform, plus the fact that the woofers beneath can act as passive radiators equates to badness for judging sound characteristics. Rotating speakers on a decent 20-24" stand will be easy enough to accomplish in a quick time frame.

Jimmy, I posted a while back that I have already been in contact with Mark of AV123 and he will be shipping to me enough gear to run the second bedroom system; Onix H34 tube integrated, CD-1 player, and their Reference cables. (Don't know why the A-120 keeps getting mentioned?)

I think someone needs to put together what will be used to power the main living room system. We will have the Sherwood receiver, do we want a second option for amplfication? The Parasound Halo stuff is listed as possibly being there, do we for sure want them to bring this and go through the hassle of unplugging it all? For source of this primary system, someone is listed as having the Perpetual Tech P1 and P3 DAC system, to me this makes sense as our best choice of analog conversion and then we can slave whatever DVD transport to it. Cabling it looks like we will have Audioquest type 4 speaker cable and some stuff from HTD. What about IC's and digital cables? We will probably need two of each whatever the brand.

Also on post#2 their seems to be a whole lot of duplication in terms of the speakers that will be present as it currently stands. If we narrowed that list down to one of each type then it looks much more manageable:
Rocket 550 mk 2 - Victor
Rocket 750 - Victor
Axiom M60, M22 - Steve Furrer
HTD's and Minipods from HTD - Nhan H
RAD Micros - Chris
Ascend 340, 170 - Chris
I think Po-Ming Fung has both the Rocket 250 and Onix Ref1, if we can get only one of these I think the Ref1 would be the better choice
Hsu VT-12 (these are speakers and not a sub right?)

Also listed are some dipole surround speakers, do we really need these since I would assume almost all listening of music will be done in 2-channel and if we need surrounds we will have a ton of other options that can work as both fronts or surrounds?

Then lastly there are a ton of subs listed: Hsu VTF-1, Hsu VTF-2, 2 DIY subs, Sunfire Truesub, Rocket UFW-10, and last but not least the ACI Maestro. That is a whole lot of sub for two systems that we really don't even need subs for ,since to truely compare the speakers you need to be running them full range anyhow. I think it would be prudent for only the subs that are being provided by manufacturers specifically for this event should really be the only ones brought over, like the ACI sub.

To make this listening session be somewhat manageable, we just can't have too many variables, and right now we seem to have a whole bunch.

CurtisSC

Screenwriter
FWIW....the recommended stand height for the Ascend CMT-340 is 24", for the CBM-170 between 28" to 31" I think.

As long as we get the tweeters close to ear height, I think things will be fine for our purposes.

Victor.Y

Stunt Coordinator
If we have stands available, we will definitely use them. If not, I think the speaker boxes should be fine. Everyone's a different height anyways.. perhaps I should start gathering phone books for height boosters (me). :)

As for main amplification, I believe we will be using the Sherwood. As nice as the Halo stuff might be, it's a part of Brian's system (and quite heavy) so it's not necessary for him to bring it. If the P1/P3 are not available, I trust the Sherwood's DACs as being sufficient for our informal listening.

As for the speakers coming, please only refer to the "confirmed equipment" section... the others next to folks' names are just notes to myself in case we need additional speakers.

I agree -- the dipoles are not required... (Paul - perhaps next time?)

Regarding subwoofers, I will have to agree that our listening sessions will not revolve around subs... those folks that have subs (not manufacturer sponsored) don't have to bring the subs if they don't want.

However, we should not deny any equipment that has been lent to us by manufacturers. Subs can play a part in mixing with the bookshelf speakers, or perhaps a scene or two on the home theater setup after everything's done. If certain folks are interested, we can still host additional listening time for home theater - with the sub as the only variable.

Having the subwoofers give us flexibility in case folks want to switch from 2 channel to some HT. I personally wouldn't mind trying out some of the subs on Sunday...

Thanks everyone!

Scott Oliver

Screenwriter
That sounds good Victor, I just saw like 6 different Rocket 550's, etc. in the list and saw people talking about overflow speakers and hotel space needed and got worried that all of that stuff was coming. Seemed wasteful, but it sounds like you have got it well under control. Cool, but do try to get those Ref1's up here over the 250's. The 250's will have similar sound signature as your 550's and 750's, but the Ref1's are suppossed to compete in a different ballpark.

BTW, I saw an amazing show last night at the Hogg Auditorium, Mariza! She is from Portugal and sings Fado, which I would describe best as a mix of flamenco, folk, opera, and the blues. An absolutely beautiful and powerful voice did she possess. Highly recommended if she comes your way.

Nhan_H

Second Unit
So when did HTF started adding these keyword links, like subwoofer (currently links to Partexpress), bookshelves, and even phones (earthlink)???

CurtisSC

Screenwriter

Agreed. I suggest that we use the subs with the Sherwood/Newcastle R-965 since the auto setup feature works well. We can level match a full 7.1 system in a few minutes....so 2.1 should be a snap.

Best to use the setup microphone with a tripod which I'm sure Victor has.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks