What's new

The All-New Super Friends Hour DVD (1 Viewer)

Tim Tucker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tim Tucker
I was thinking that these episodes had the wrong opening titles, even though they do have a 1977 copyright. At least with a split season release, there is the possibility of getting the correct titles on Volume Two (that is if they still exist) at least as an extra.

And to clarify things, this set has Episodes 1-6 and 14 out of the 15 total. Here is the correct broadcast order:

1. The Brain Machine/Joy Ride/Invasion of the Earthors/The Whirlpool
2. The Secret Four/Tiger on the Loose/The Mysterious Time Creatures/The Antidote
3. Invasion of the Hydronoids/Hitchhike/City in a Bottle/Space Emergency
4. Doctor Fright/Drag Race/Day of the Plant Creatures/Fire
5. The Monster of Dr. Droid/Vandals/Super Friends vs Super Friends/Energy Mass
6. The Enforcer/Shark/Planet of the Neanderthals/Flood of Diamonds
14. The Marsh Monster/Runaways/Will the World Collide?/Time Rescue

You can determine the correct order from the "next time" teaser at the end of each episode. It appears that WHV sequenced these according to their current syndication order.

All the episodes time out at 46+ minutes, which sounds correct. I did notice one discrepancy -- at the end of Episode 1, the teaser mentions "Attack of the Giant Squid" (which is in Episode 8), but gets the rest of the stories for Episode 2 correct. Was this error from when the episode was first broadcast? There is no sign of it being edited this way just for the DVD.

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
The weird thing is if these were syndication prints, wouldn't they have been cut? And if they aren't syndication prints then why are the syndicated titles on them? I heard that the network used to send local stations uncut prints and then let the stations cut them themselves.

ChadZ

Grip
I have a few episodes of this series from original broadcast (taken from 16mm). The opening titles are original and correct. The only time "The All New Super Friends Hour" title pic was shown was when the show entered or exited commercial breaks. These episodes are uncut.

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Chaz. I wonder if they'll release the Superfriends shorts from 79-84? I hope so.

ClassicTVFan1981

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Benjamin Edge

Both Super Friends: The Legendary Super Powers Show (1984-85) and its final 30-min follow-up The Super Powers Team: Galactic Guardians (1985-86) were both already released most recently.

We're rooting on The World's Greatest Super Friends (1979-80) as well as the 1980-82 and 1983-84 short subjects. They'll get to them soon... oh, and we're also rooting on them for the release of the original 1973-74 hour-long series that started at all.

Aaron Handy III

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Aaron Handy III

I should've guessed. At first I'd thought that that was the title card for TANSFH and the main title opening used was for syndication...until Boomerang aired the one-hour versions in July 2002. I take it, then, the ANSFH commercial intro/outro title pic (attatched below) was left off of the set, in addition to the next week promos?

Oh, well...I'll check it out anyway. BTB...dig my new profile pic! 8)

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
Yes, that bumper is left off the set (as most bumpers are.) However, all of the teasers/next week on promos are there. It's a great set. WB might have jumped the gun a few years back on when their closing logo appears (sometimes the HB logo doesn't even fade out all of the way when the WB logo appears), but all small quibbling aside, this set is just a dream for SF fans.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks