"The Alamo"s Status?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Allansfirebird, Oct 10, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Timothy E

Timothy E Supporting Actor
    Reviewer

Timothy Ewanyshyn
    This week finally saw the official announcement of a release of the roadshow version (more or less) of It's A Mad Mad Mad Mad World by Criterion.Wouldn't it be nice to see Criterion release the extended version of The Alamo? How about the same release with The Last Command included as a special feature?(If you are going to dream, then dream big.)

2. Richard V

Richard V Cinematographer

Richard
    Dream REALLY big!! Have "The Man from the Alamo" as another added feature, to bring a "coda" to the Alamo saga.

3. atfree

atfree Cinematographer
    Supporter

Alex
    If I'm gonna dream big, then I'd have to dream of the roadshow version of "The Alamo" and a new, non-DNR'd "Spartacus" from Criterion in 2014.

4. JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes Cinematographer
    Supporter

Ray
    If Criterion did release the roadshow version, I'm fairly sure that they'd sell lots and lots of copies.

5. Ed Lachmann

Ed Lachmann Supporting Actor

Edmund Lachmann
    YES! Count me in on SPARTACUS times seven for all the recently blu-rayed friends who I'll birthday gift it to! Criterion, we need you to make it right! Please!

6. Paul Rossen

Paul Rossen Supporting Actor

The ALAMO and of course SPARTACUS...

7. Mark Pytel

Mark Pytel Second Unit

Mark Pytel
    Hopefully, if it is feasable, they could use the same restorative techniques used to create the Roadshow version of It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World and use those to recreate the Roadshow of the Alamo.
    Perhaps they can only use the 70mm print for just the scenes that are not in the theatrical cut. Considering it is a john wayne film and that it is the LAST surviving print of this longer cut, It sickens me to know that thus far MGM is not helping out or willing to to much with it. It's sad. Granted I know that MGM has been bought and sold and that the current owners dont give a hoot, but can't some film historians and lovers like Martin Scorsese step in and help out? If it costs a million to restore, i;m surprised he or other lovers of movies and film restoration don't chip and and do something. I always hear that there is legal issues and logistics with doing this, but really your telling me that if I or anyone else showed up with the money needed that they wouldn't or couldnt take or use it? What if I left it on Robert Harris' doorstep with a note from anonymous ;)
    Granted I wish I could, but sadly not rich. Far from it actually, but I wish I could help fund these. MGM has a TON of movies that need to be remastered properly for tv and home video use. They have way too many old full frame analog masters for a lot of their niche titles as we have seen with some of the fullframe and older transfers that Shout has used on some of their bargain sets. One day this film will not be usable and it WILL be lost. I can't imagine how that doesn't scare anyone at MGM.

8. revgen

revgen Supporting Actor

Dan
    The 70mm print is in pretty bad shape. MGM has been dragging it's heals forever on this. Hopefully if IAMMMMW sells well, maybe they'll change their mind. And hopefully not too late.

Everett Stallings likes this.
  9. sonomatom1

sonomatom1 Stunt Coordinator

Tom Martin
    Back in the days when I had a laserdisc player, I eagerly purchased the "Roadshow" release of "The Alamo". Although I don't remember a lot of particulars about the quality of the print, I remember it as being quite good, but to my queston. Why isn't it possible to copy the LD version of the film to DVD/Blu-ray? I understand that there is bound (perhaps) to be some degradation, but isn't that a more reasonabl solution that to invest millions of dollars for Mr. Harris to try and restore cans of badly deteroriated film stock?

10. John Hermes

John Hermes Screenwriter

John Hermes
    T
    The laser disc is standard def. Upconverting that source material would not make a real Blu-ray. It would essentially be the same thing as taking your standard DVD of The Alamo and playing it in an upconverting DVD player. The film needs to be restored from the original elements as much as possible using all the latest technology. It is expensive and I don't know who would pay for it, but that's what needs to be done for a Blu-ray release.

Jacksmyname likes this.
  11. Jacksmyname

Jacksmyname Second Unit

Jack Walder
    Ok, to whom do I make out the check, and where do I send it?
    MGM? RAH?

12. Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein Filmmaker

T R Wilkinson
    What would happen is what happened with Mad World - You scan the film elements to get the resolution and you use the SD LD masters to get the color back in.

sonomatom1 and Stephen_J_H like this.
  13. battlebeast

battlebeast Screenwriter

Warren
    Can we start a kick starter to fund a restoration of "the Alamo" like they did with "Manos: the hands of fate"?

14. Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein Filmmaker

T R Wilkinson
    No, because MGM wouldn't take the money.

15. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder 映画ファン

Malcolm
    Not a problem, we can pay the bar tab with it instead.

16. battlebeast

battlebeast Screenwriter

Warren
    I thought the whole problem was MGM wouldn't restore and release "The Alamo" because of the cost. If it was FREE (ie, kick starter funded) why WOULDNT they jump at the chance?

17. Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein Filmmaker

T R Wilkinson
    Because then they look bad because someone gave them the money. Better in their mind to let it rot

18. davidmatychuk

davidmatychuk Screenwriter

David Matychuk
    Not knowing any of the people who might possibly be involved, this still rings true, given what is often the corporate mentality. But maybe it would just require one person, the right person in the right corporate place, to change everything. We live in a world where "they" changed their minds about "It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World", after all, despite the forest of "maybe's" and "possibly's".

19. Jari K

Jari K Producer

Kickstarter is not exactly "free". You give certain amount of money and get something later on. With Alamo, you would donate x amount and get the "special Blu-ray" (or similar) later on. The idea is not that you give them money, they say "thanks" and you have to buy the film from Amazon.com.

20. Vincent_P

Vincent_P Screenwriter

This was already attempted a few years ago but MGM nixed it.

Vincent

Moe Dickstein likes this.