International The Agatha Christie Mystery Collection

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Blushots1, Oct 2, 2013.

1. Blushots1

Blushots1 Auditioning

Ryan
    The four main Agatha Christie films - Murder on the Orient Express, Death on the Nile, The Mirror Crack'd and Evil Under The Sun are to be released on bluray in a boxset in November 2013 in Italyhttp://www.amazon.it/gp/product/B00F8J3E42/ref=s9_simh_gw_p74_d4_i1?pf_rd_m=A11IL2PNWYJU7H&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=07GHYDGA7N091Y3PPNEC&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=312234127&pf_rd_i=426865031Hopefully this will also come to other countries but I'll still be purchasing. Can't wait to see Nile in glorious HD, I just hope they do a real good job on the PQ.

2. Mark-P

Mark-P Producer

Mark Probst
    Wow. I hope it's region-free. I see that 3 of the 4 are coming out as singles in Japan which is region A, so that might be an alternative if the Italian box set is region B-locked.

3. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    Which one is missing from the Japanese offerings?

4. Mark-P

Mark-P Producer

Mark Probst
    The best one, of course, Murder on the Orient Express. :(
    Here's a link.

Matt Hough likes this.
  5. Blushots1

Blushots1 Auditioning

Ryan
    Odd that Express is missing, wonder if there's a distribution rights issue.As much as I enjoy Express, Nile is my favourite. It was the first one I saw on tv at Christmas back in about 1984 and from then on I loved it and grew to love Christie in general.

6. Mark-P

Mark-P Producer

Mark Probst
    I'm sure that's the reason. For region 1 Orient Express is Paramount and the other three are Lionsgate.

7. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    Thanks, Mark. I figured it would be Orient Express since that seems to lie within Paramount's purview. I was just getting into Christie at the time of this film, and I was so glad that I hadn't read the book before seeing the movie. I hadn't read the books of any of the four classic Christie films before seeing the films so I could pit my sleuthing skills against Poirot or Marple. I did figure out the killer(s) in two of the four but not Orient Express or Evil Under the Sun.

8. Blushots1

Blushots1 Auditioning

Ryan
    ChromeJob likes this.
  9. Mark-P

Mark-P Producer

Mark Probst
  10. Blushots1

Blushots1 Auditioning

Ryan
  11. Jari K

Jari K Producer

12. Blushots1

Blushots1 Auditioning

Ryan
  13. Erik_H

Erik_H Stunt Coordinator

I watched "Orient Express" over the weekend. Nice transfer, although the absence of supplements that were included in the US DVD are disappointing (but not surprising as the US DVD was a Paramount release and the Spanish Blu-Ray is from Universal).

A major error in the end credits, though. Albert Finney's name is missing; a remarkable omission given that he was top-billed and his name was the first to appear in the end credits of the theatrical and DVD releases (Finney's name continues to appear in the main credits on the Blu-Ray). An error such as this could prompt a recall.

14. Sumnernor

Sumnernor Supporting Actor

Sumner Northcutt
    I looked at the web site and it is coming out Dec 4

I also looked in Amazon.de and the Italian set is listed there. I will probably get it here in Munich and can test for region code. The audio and subtitles have english

15. Blushots1

Blushots1 Auditioning

Ryan
    The Italian release was delayed till Dec.The Spanish set is region free

16. Jari K

Jari K Producer

It seems that these CanalStudio transfers are released all over Europe. In Scandinavia they're released separately.

17. haineshisway

haineshisway Producer

Bruce
    I'm afraid a fail for the first two films - Orient Express and Nile. Orient is a newer transfer than the one Studio Canal did for the overseas four film set on DVD - cleaner and decent detail but with color that's just not right. The Paramount DVD has perfect color - a couple of the scenes in the Blu are so off in terms of timing it's really not good. Unsworth shot the film with really heavy diffusion so one must account for that, which I do, but the color is kind of unforgivable. Obviously Paramount has an element with the proper timing and Studio Canal doesn't have the timing notes or didn't use them.

Nile is an older transfer and looks it - no real detail at all, although obviously more than the DVD. But very substandard for a Blu-ray and again color that's a bit too yellow and a transfer that does no justice at all to Jack Cardiff's spectacular photography. There is nothing "clear" about the Nile transfer.

I'm expecting Mirror Crack'd and Evil Under the Sun to be the older transfers, too - if they begin with the older Canal logo they will be - that's how Nile begins.

And Finney missing from the end credits of Express isn't the only problem - Colin Blakely's name is misspelled in the front credits. It's all correct on the Paramount DVD and one wonders exactly how something like this could have happened.

Will Krupp likes this.
  18. Will Krupp

Will Krupp Screenwriter

Will
    I'm sorry to bring this thread back up again but, just so I'm clear...if I order the Italian set is it Region A playable?

19. atfree

atfree Cinematographer
    Supporter

Alex
  20. Will Krupp

Will Krupp Screenwriter

Will
    Thanks atfree I DID see that and I'm hoping that it was our very own Mark-P that did the confirming!