What's new

Directors The ACADEMY AWARDS 75 Years - Draft (1 Viewer)

Steeve Bergeron

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steeve Bergeron
We all know that George will pick The Apartment, so I'll go ahead with mine:

Vivien Leigh - Best Actress (1939)

Evan Case

Screenwriter
I agree with Vickie on:

two writings (though I don't think that it need be one of each)

song/score split

visual effects split from makeup/sound/art/etc

wild card for anything not related to acting, writing, directing or picture, including lifetime achievement awards or special stuff like Chaplin's "genius" Oscar for the The Circus or Disney's Snow White Oscar with the seven mini statues.

I don't know about splitting the Foreign Film/Documentary award simply because I wonder how many have seen 16 Oscar-winning documentaries. I guess this might be offset by keeping the live-action/cartoon shorts with the documentaries.

If you split foreign/documentary it will give us 21. To get back to 20, I'd consider dropping one of the cinematographies, letting only the five "Oscar Sweep" categories have two choices.

Evan

ChuckDeLa

Senior HTF Member
Yowza, and I thought 16 was already too many rounds.

Well, it's all cool with me, except the separate documentary category.

I would also suggest keeping Visual Effects and Sound together (the geeky tech stuff) and Art Direction/Makeup/Costumes (the artsy pretty stuff) together.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Well, a tad presumptuous on Steeve's part, but since LOA is taken :frowning:, I will take

1960 Best Picture - The Apartment

:)

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member

Well to be honest I though 16 was a little much. 20 seems like overkill but I'm up for it as long as I get some other opinions first.

I originaly wanted 2 picks each of the Supporting Oscars but knocked it down to 1 each.

Splitting the sceenplay is fine with me. Splitting the songs/score is also ok with me.

The one thing I don't agree with splitting is Foreign Language/Docs/Shorts though. Speaking for myself (& I know there are probably others) I just don't watch many Shorts(animated/live) & the Oscar Winning Documentaries I've seen I can count on one hand.

Again I'd like more feedback before I start expanding this thing. :)

Dome is up

On deck
Evan Case
Ric Bagoly
Jeff Gross
Vickie_M
Gabe D
Wes C x 2

Evan Case

Screenwriter
I can see how 20 seems like a lot (just look at all the drop outs/complaints in Dream Girls), but the thing that this one has on it's side that Dream Girls and all the other drafts don't is variety. There's also a nice bit of strategy inherent here which is generally absent from the others.

Do you grab your favorite performance instead of your favorite remaining Best Picture or director, thinking that they'll outlast the former? You can snag high honors in the acting categories this way, but you risk winding up with a less-respected Best Picture.

I think examples like that will be occurring constantly, keeping the draft fresh and interesting.

Evan

ChuckDeLa

Senior HTF Member
I would prefer this:

1) doing away with the double picks (Picture, Directors, Actors, Actresses, Cinematography)
2) splitting Score/Song
3) splitting Screenplay
4) splitting up that monster Visual Effects etc category
5) adding a "wild card" slot

That would bring the total # of rounds to 15.

Evan Case

Screenwriter
Jim, I PMd you my upcoming pick(s) in case I'm away when Dome posts.

Rob, I can see why 20 might be a lot, by I think the diversity of the categories makes this more like 15 or so mini-drafts. Just look at it in that manner :).

As to Chuck's point, I support dropping one of the cinematography picks, but I think that double picks for the five "Oscar Sweeps" are essential, otherwise one Holy Grail pick like The Godfather or Lawrence of Arabia can unbalance the whole thing. At least with the double picks someone who grabs The Godfather with the first pick is going to have to wait at least 30 rounds before getting to choose a second pick. This can provide balance, with the 1st Drafter getting Best Pictures 1 & 32 and the 16th Drafter getting Best Pictures 16 & 17 (theoretically, of course--some may take acting or directing along the way, and there's no set objective value to Best Pictures). Nevertheless, 1 & 32 vs. 16 & 17 is a lot more fair than 1 vs. 16. IMO.

Evan

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
I'd like to see 2 picks in the major categories (film, director, actors), but I think 1 might be fine in most other categories. I don't really care about how many rounds total, except to point out, that even in the best run and most interesting drafts, interest inevitably peeters out after a while, and the longer you go, the more that's likely to happen, so as a general rule, I think shorter is better (both in # of contestants and # rounds).

Evan Case

Screenwriter
Dome, you bastardo.

Godfatha II was mine!

Oh well, guess I gotta go for an actor instead.

1970 - George C. Scott - Patton

Evan

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
even in the best run and most interesting drafts, interest inevitably peeters out after a while, and the longer you go, the more that's likely to happen, so as a general rule, I think shorter is better (both in # of contestants and # rounds).
Everyone please take note because this doesn't happen every day:

[rant]I agree with George![/rant]

Thank you for your time!

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
The one thing I don't agree with splitting is Foreign Language/Docs/Shorts though.
The reason I mentioned it is that I have favorite foreign films and favorite documentarys, so it would be hard to choose. I don't know many shorts, but I guess I can live without choosing one I do know (Tin Toy, wheee!).

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
I don't. I don't see why we shouldn't just go all out. Make it count. You're involved anyway (why join if you didn't want to participate?),...
:rolleyes

Who said I didn't want to participate? Equating the fact that I think 20 rounds is too much as "not wanting to participate" is a bit ridiculous in my opinion.

As it sits, we have already doubled what the original tournament was going to be...now we are going to expand it even more? I still think interest will start declining rapidly even before round 16, never mind round 20.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks