What's new

THE ABYSS anamorphic release? (MERGED THREAD) (1 Viewer)

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
I have heard rumors that the abyss: enhanced for widescreen is coming out.... hopefully be out later this year.
I really cann't say anymore then that.

Jacob

Frank M

Stunt Coordinator
DVD Producer Van Ling has confirmed a new anamorphic transfer. It's coming, but no date set.

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
Bill BR-- you're completely right. I never got the DVDs (I have the LD box signed by Jonathan Pryce!) for that very reason.

andySu

Senior HTF Member

Just how long as the studios been aware of the techniques of producing there films in the enhanced “16:9” format, or are they doing this to wined us up!?

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
Andy, most DVDs were NOT anamorphically enhanced in the early days of the format (Warner has been doing it from day one; however, being anamorphic doesn't necessarily mean it holds up today. BLADE RUNNER, anyone?). Studios gradually came around to the practice: Fox was kinda late to the party; however, they did release some stellar non-anamorphic transfers (THE ABYSS and PLANET OF THE APES, for example). I have no problem with their original 2000 release of THE ABYSS being non-anamorphic. What I have a problem with is Fox re-releasing the title 2 or 3 times since 2000 with the same damn transfer. It still looks really good on my 36" direct view set, but it turns to shit when it's blown up on my 57" widescreen rear projection set. A film as big as THE ABYSS really shouldn't be confined to a small TV. C'mon Fox!

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
Yes, Craig and what further puzzles me-is that the US is a huge market-and most would re-buy an enhanced edition of nearly anything-thus making the bean-counters very happy.

But the odd thing is-it is the smaller markets like say, S Korea, HK, Australia, and some EU territories that will exclusively issue or re-issue a title anamorphically enhanced, without making a big fuss about it-ie: here, most of the time it seems that companies think they must wait to do a full blown SE before they will 16:9 enhance a title... a shame.

andySu

Senior HTF Member

Craig

Yeah, now that you mentioned that, I have noticed the same thing hear in the United Kingdom, Fox as done it with so many and some of the above mentioned ones, what is there game?

I guess till the day I can afford a video projector, with 16:9 technology, at an affordable price of under £800,00 pounds, that is the only time I would see the films quality on DVD or the newer format looks like its been tried behind the back of a car and dragged for a few blocks?:D

Lee-c

Supporting Actor
What's the latest word on the new anamorphic DVD of The Abyss that's supposed (according to a post here some months back) to be coming out fairly soon? :)

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
I heard near the christmas holidays.. I have not heard anything since then.

Jacob

Lee-c

Supporting Actor
Well, we're getting pretty close to Christmas, so we should be hearing some solid details pretty soon. :)

BrettGallman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett
Waiting for an anamoprhic version of "The Abyss" is like waiting for a new transfer of "Blade Runner." You might as well give up.

Oh wait...

:)

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
My favorite Cameron movie. Count me in if they ever release an animorphic version... Though by the time that happens I'll probably be in the next format.

Jeremy Little

Supporting Actor

You guys keep bringing all these things up that *should* be released. Well, they'll go back and fix all these mistakes whenever the DVD format is nearing its run as a highly profitable business and right about the time that sales start to dip for the first time ever. Uhhh, oh yeah!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks