What's new

The "Absolute, Bar None, No Holds Barred, Best Recording You Own" thread (1 Viewer)

Jeff Pryor

Supporting Actor
CD: Fleetwood Mac's 'Rumours' sounds pretty good.

Vinyl: I've got a promotional copy of Mazzy Star's first release song 'Blue Flower' that sounds great.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Since quality is critical and I don't have many vinyl left (let alone a good rig to play them on) I'd have to go with a DVD-A.

I'd put in Queen - Night at the Opera even though I prefer The Game. NatO has more stylistic range for demo purposes.

However, assuming that by the time the aliens landed I could have DVD-A/SACD surround mixes (I like the depth of soundfield) of similar quality then I would probably switch to one of these 3 albums...

ELO - A New World Record (do have on vinyl, but its old not in good shape)
Thomas Dolby - The Flat Earth
Bob Marley - Live!

Jean D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jean D
To demo my system to an alien, Id probably say

Porcupine Tree - In Absentia (DVD-A)

George See

Second Unit
I have some great vinyl but sadly I don't have a good setup for vinyl so i'll go with DVD-A and say Natalie Merchant Tigerlily.

I would have to add as runner ups DSOTM (SACD) Blue Man Group DVD-A, Queen A night at the Opera DVD-A....i'm most likely biased to Tigerlily as that was the first DVD-A i'd heard and I love the album so much anyway.

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee

It was actually Mark Levinson who got me into DSD and Super Audio. I met him through some industry contacts in New York and had a nice demo one afternoon at his store near the Whitney. It was clear he was onto something good. A few weeks later I found the J&R Music deal on the SCD-777ES I have now. Been happy ever since. Since then I have been able to listen to DSD and live microphone feeds as well as pure DSD "hard drive" playback from the Tascam DSD98.

On this particular Red Rose disc listen to the crickets at Mark's home in the Hamptons. They are in the background on "A Dogs' Day" poem read by his then wife Kim Cattrall. Talk about atmosphere...:emoji_thumbsup:

As you can tell by my signature, I'm also quite fond of DSOTM in Super Audio.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
After many days of internal discusion (between my ears) I'm going with one from out in left field. Alice Coopers "Welcome To My Nightmare" on DVD-A. "Only Women Bleed" is particularly good. And while half asleep, the song "Steven" woke me up and scared the HELL outa me! :eek: It sounded like "a big man" was in my living room! I think the aliens ( :alien: ) would be scared straight back to Mars! But they would take a copy back with them. This one was done right :D .

Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm

Supporting Actor
Hmm. It's hard to vote against Two Against Nature. And a perverse part of me wants to say Def Leppard's Hysteria, which just sounds freaking great even 17 years later.

But I really love the sound of Sam Phillips' Fan Dance. Minimalistic production by T-Bone Burnett and sparse arrangements really bring the structure, melodies, and lyrics to the foreground. That's what good production should do, in my opinion. This album completely changed a lot of my beliefs about music production, and seriously affected the way I engineer music in my own studio. I wish I could go back and produce my album again.

Brian L

Senior HTF Member

Why can't you? George Lucas is still dicking with the 1st three SW films:D

Note the previous statement was inetned as a JOKE!

Seriously, this thread has thus far exceeded my expectations, although it has generated a "must buy" list that will need to be dealt with over time!

BGL

Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm

Supporting Actor
:D

Awesome. No, I'm leaving the old stuff alone. The way it was recorded is part of the music, in my experience, and I'd rather spend the time on new songs.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks