What's new

The '70s hard rock remasters thread (1 Viewer)

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
No word on additional BÖC remasters (I check their web page at least once a week). There is a remastered version of Cultosaurus Erectus from Japan but I held off hoping for a domestic remaster w/ bonus tracks. If you are SACD capable the Multichannel Agents of Fortune is way cool!

Besides BÖC, I am dying for a remastered and expanded (and SACD multi-channel hybrid) version of Humble Pie's Performance: Live at the Fillmore.

BTW Why are you guys talking about 1990's REM discs in a 70's hard rock thread?

DaveDickey

Stunt Coordinator
I'm not quite sure why the thread ended up with REM talk. Can't help you there, sorry. As far as BOC is concerned, "Some Enchanted Evening" is not out in Hi-Rez yet, so the best of BOC is not available.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
All the AC/DC remasters I have are pretty good, including Back in Black. I don't think the style of music allows for an amazingly revelatory audiophile sound, but it's pretty tight.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Any word on Supertramp albums such as Crime of the Century or Breakfast in America getting a High-Rez remaster (5.1 or not)?

Not really in the hard rock category but any word on 70's music that I think would lend itself rather nicely to 5.1, the 70's Tangerine Dream Virgin catalog?

Ken Stuart

Second Unit
Stooges/Iggy Pop in SACD would also be awesome. Especially Raw Power.
The problem with Raw Power is that Iggy decided to remix the album in the 90's to make it sound like their early live sound, ie straightforward hard rock.

The current US Sony CD is this remix.

As much as I like Ig (and I've met most of the Stooges), I think that Bowie's original mix added a crucial element of dark mystery to the sound - it has the feel of an underground midnight ritual (which is only enhanced by the stylized cover photography where only the foreground figures are illuminated).

So, I think that it is highly likely that any Sony SACD would be the new Iggy remix, and I wouldn't bother to even buy that.

PS The UK "Castle Communications" CD pressing is the original Bowie mix, and of course, LP pressings are all the Bowie mix (unless there is a brand new LP mastering, which I doubt).

Ken Stuart

Second Unit
- Led Zeppelin's How the West Was Won (1972) was released a few days ago on DVD-Audio (it is 48/24, btw). The reason this came out first, is that they worked on both the CD and the DVD-A at the same time. IMHO (and many other fans' as well), this album is their best live material. However, I still prefer their studio recordings - and the master tape of LZII is audiophile quality.

- Bowie's Ziggy Stardust... (1972) will be released as a Hybrid SACD on October 21st, at normal CD pricing (Amazon has it for $13.99).

- Pink Floyd's Live at Pompeii (1973) is coming to DVD-Video on October 21st. IMHO, this is easily the best Pink Floyd period. Some of the best hard rock guitar performances ever.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Bowie's Ziggy Stardust... (1972) will be released as a Hybrid SACD on October 21st, at normal CD pricing (Amazon has it for $13.99).
But will it be the same remaster as the whatever anniversary edition with the audio reversed?

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Just an FYI that most of the Prism library has been released. They are available from A&B Sound, or direct from the band's webstore at a higher price.

The first album and See Forever Eyes are must buys (already have Armageddon). Young and Restless is $8CAN a A&B, but I still don't know if it's worth it.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Another "Heads Up" that BTO's long OOP Head On is being reissued with a bonus track in November, and I see Amazon also has added records for Street Action and Rock 'n' Roll Nights, both listed as OOP.

Here's hoping the entire catalogue gets a decent remaster to go along with the double disc Brave Belt collection. Perhaps we'll even see Ironhorse and Union some time.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks