The '70s hard rock remasters thread

Discussion in 'Music' started by Jeff Ulmer, Oct 5, 2003.

1. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

I figured we could use a thread on 1970s albums that are being/have been remastered, since these tend to creep into distribution with little fanfare.

Has anyone heard about any more Blue Oyster Cult coming out? I have the first three and Agents of Fortune, but really want Cultosaurus Erectus and Mirrors, and Spectres needs a remaster badly.

I'm still waiting for a Styx-Equinox remaster.

How about the whole BTO catalogue, including the long out of print Rock 'n' Roll Nights and Street Action?

Where are the first and second Prism albums?

Will the first Boston album and Don't Look Back ever be remastered?

how about the Max Webster catalogue - without the "featuring Kim Mitchell" on the cover"

2. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

Boston's first album is on Hybrid-CD-SACD, is it not?

Does anyone know if and when we will see high-rez (100+ khz / 24-bit stereo/5.1) DVD-Audio remasters of Led Zeppelin? Those are a real Holy Grail for fans, I'm sure and I'd love to hear those great albums again.

Stooges/Iggy Pop in SACD would also be awesome. Especially Raw Power.

Oh - Ace Of Spades by Motorhead is out tomorrow on DVD-A in Britain - and the US?

Gordy

3. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

The Motorhead back catalogue (not including the first disc I think) up to Iron Fist was remastered a few years ago on CD, with Ace of Spades getting the original UK running order.

There are the Deep Purple reissues as well, which are pretty nicely done, and I highly recommend the first two Captain Beyond albums.

I also want to see remasters of the early Heart material, Dreamboat Annie through to Dog and Butterfly.

4. DaveDickey

DaveDickey Stunt Coordinator

Zeppelin's "How The West Was Won" will be out in DVD-A on November 11th. I believe it will be 96-24, but don't quote me.

AC / DC just remastered all their CD's. Very good results for a standard resolution format, IMO.

Also, King Crimson's "In The Court Of The Crimson King" is coming in SACD format. Not sure if it's a hybrid disk (import). The only place I've seen it mentioned is on the musicdirect website.

5. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

6. Joel Fontenot

Joel Fontenot Supporting Actor

Joel Fontenot

7. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

8. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

9. PhilBoy

PhilBoy Second Unit

Exile On Main St. is better on the Virgin remaster... but a dvd-a release would 'Shine A Light'.

Diamond Dogs & The Joshua Tree would also be welcome...

10. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

I kinda doubt Tom Scholz is on speaking terms with the folks at Sony, as the last I heard they still owed him in the neighborhood of $30 million in royalties.

I would agree that Low or before would be much more desireable than any of Bowie's sell out period stuff, but having bought the last set of remasters, I'm in no hurry to shell out yet again.

I would agree with Joel on the quality of modern remastering, but would argue that the '70s material usually fares a little better since it was produced with the compression heavy radio play in mind to begin with, so squashing it to death gives it that "over the air" sound. Just give all the good stuff to Bob Ludwig, easily the best mastering engineer out there IMO.

11. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

12. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    I'm purr-dy content listening to the original vinyl of the period. I will buy some SACD's or DVD-A's but so many of my fav's have never even been put on CD, much less been remastered over and over.

13. Paul_Medenwaldt

Paul_Medenwaldt Supporting Actor

I know KISS has been turning out the remasters of their 70's and up to the mid 80's albums.

Paul

14. DaveDickey

"How The West Was Won" is a kind of live mish-mash put together recently by Jimmy Page. It's not as good as the original Zeppelin releases, but if you're big on Zep, then it's kinda nice to hear some new stuff. Why Atlantic chose to release "How The West Was Won" in Hi-Rez before the studio albums is a mystery.

"Automatic For The People" is only 48 khz, but it sounds great, IMO. The engineer who remastered it must have had a really good day.

The Stones' ABCKO remasters are all hybrid stereo SACD's. I'm not sure if the CD layer sounds much better than the previous issue, but the SACD layer sounds clean...opens up quite a bit.

Also, The Van Halen remasters from a couple of years ago sound great for standard rez. They sound better than some of the DVD-A disks I've heard.

15. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

16. ElevSkyMovie

ElevSkyMovie Supporting Actor

I just read a review of the MC "Toto IV" SACD, and evidently the reviewer thought Scheiner was having a bad day when he mixed that disc.

17. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

18. ElevSkyMovie

ElevSkyMovie Supporting Actor

I was just putting that out there. I haven't heard any of his MC work. I think Scheiner is amazing, one of the top engineers in the world.

19. Joel Fontenot

Joel Fontenot Supporting Actor

Joel Fontenot

20. DaveDickey

Do any of you guys know if Scheiner remastered REM's DVD-A release "Document" as well? If so, I'm gonna buy it. I have the remastered CD now, but judging by the improvement in the "Automatic" release, it would be worth the bucks.