What's new

The 4400 ongoing thread (1 Viewer)

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Well, since no one seems to have commented this week, thought I would.. a passing episode. Makes me wonder where exactly this is all going. I wish that USA would repeat the program more often, ala TNT, SCIFI, etc. in order to get people to see the darn thing.

I was really surprised when they announced this week's episode would be the season finale.. making this a season of 5 episodes? :) More like a miniseries :)

Anyway, we'll see, they sa "big shocking things" ahead, who knows. I predict the boy from the hospital (who woke up from the coma) is "the one"

CaptDS9E

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joey
Actually it is a miniseries. It did so well they just probably decided to call it the season finale because they are gonna green light a regular series

capt

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
I thought last week's episode was better than the week before. I liked the guy saying: You do NOT have the right to an attorney! What you say WILL be held against you! And living in the Seattle area, it's always worth a laugh, knowing the places they're at do not actually look that way.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey

I read this too but even though I like the show that means that we probably wont get a payoff during the season finale so they can carry it on and on and on. I dont think they should make it a series. Why cant they leave things along? It got good ratings so now they have to milk it.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Well, we got some of the mystery answered, only to be left with quite a few more questions:

Lily's baby?

The true impact of the powers bestowed upon the 4399?

Will Kyle be grounded?

Jason Walstrom

Supporting Actor
4398. remember the florist? I remember after the first episode called the main agent a low rent Keen Eddie and now we have the real Keen Eddie. Only he's more like Jerk Eddie.

AlexanderS

Second Unit

Dammit, thats where I knew him from. Its was driving me nuts all night.

Anyone else think that this is a rip off of the SciFi miniseries Taken? Adbucted people, magic baby, crazy people out to get them. Hell even the cast overlaps in Kyle's dad.

Shea

Stunt Coordinator
I originally thought after seeing the preview for awhile before the first episode came out that this was just a TV movie, I don't remember any indication that it was a series or mini-series..But missed the first one..so never watched any other episodes. Disappointed because it looked cool. Watched the marathon today and it was disappointing. Seems like a direct Taken ripoff only not nearly as good with a little X-Files and X-Men tossed in. I think this should have been a mini-series and tied it all up after this 5th episode(we actually didn't really learn ANYTHING)..don't think it will be interesting as a series.

Andres Munoz

Senior HTF Member
So is it official that this is going to be a regular series?
They've got to. Way too many unresolved misteries.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Don't you mean 4401? I mean, remember, his kid, who was left there in a coma, was not part of the 4400 number so that adds 1, then we've had 2 dead.. ok, yeah, 4399.

Lots of things unsolved. Reminded me a lot of "Alien Nation"

I think it could go somewhere.. so where is this "coming gloom" has to take hundreds of years if it waits until Humans are so advanced they can time travel..

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
I enjoyed it. Most shows are a bit simular to other shows. X-files was a bit like Close Encounters with a a big of Kolchack thrown in. We had already determined that this was simular to Taken so either you keep watching or you dont.
I am curious to know if they had always planned to go to a series since there were some questions left open.
Anyone know where I can find out who sings the theme song?

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Regarding who took them:
Well, humans from the future are behind this. That was one I never heard discussed. It was between aliens or God. At least they told us who took them before the show ended. Although, my wife is pissed about having to wait to find out what is up with the baby.

Does anyone know when the show will come back? I know the dvd has been unofficially announced.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
From what I have read, they are in talks now to continue the show but if they go ahead with a second season they wont air until the beginning of next year.
Personally, if they do go ahead, I think it should be half a season like Nip/Tuck and instead of a 4400 a week like they have been doing, I think they should delve more into the whole mythology like they discussed last night towards the end.

Michael Harris

Screenwriter
This show was, for me, one of the TV highlights of the summer (others being The Grid, new season of SG-1, and even SG-A).

At first I thought, "Oh no, not another alien abduction" but the real reason was a nice suprise and left a lot for a new series. Personally I would like to see another limited run series rather than a traditional full run so that they can focus on the core story arc rather than a "problem of the week".

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
But the "mythology" aspect is the least interesting part! I mean, we all know how this is going to turn out - it's a predestination paradox (it never would have happened if Billy Campbell's character wasn't part of the 4400) that they somehow manage to avert.

The idea of people from all over the 20th Century adapting to life in the 21st, though, that's nifty. They can do dozens of variations of Rip van Winkle, whether it be a Communist true believer returning home to Eastern Europe or comparing the difficulty of an eight-year-old from 1938 adapting to that of a 30-year-old form 1983. I thought the idea of the 14-year-old girl "catching up" to the 17-year-old she had a crush on was something they could have done a lot more with. They dropped the pregnant woman's first child way too quickly, too.

That's the nifty idea that made The 4400 unique and potentially compelling drama, with the superpowers and reason why they were taken/returned window dressing. And that's what I'd like to see when/if the series returns, though they may have made that difficult with the six-month fast-forward (most will have acclimated somewhat by then).

Speaking of when/if it returns, who'd be in charge? Co-creator Rene Echevarria is working on Medium, so I assume it would become Ira Behr's show; I wonder if he'd see the show's direction differently than its creators did.

Michael Harris

Screenwriter

I assume you mean its the least interesting part to you. :D

What I meant by the "problem of the week" is that it is too easy to lapse into cookie cutter scripts.

I do agree with most of what you say in that these 4400 can bring about some interesting stories that were only hinted at. The closing scene of the car driving away with the trees bending toward it makes me want to know more about the reason these folks were returned.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey

But why? That was the best part about last night's episodes, getting some answers and people wanted more answers. I too feel that exploring everyone's powers each week and then rwrapping that up was already getting old after 6 weeks. Think what a whole season would be like.

I suppose the show could go either route but I think most people are hoping to find out more about what Kyle was talking about in the last scene.

What was shocking to me about the other message boards was that people were so upset about the interracial pair up on the show. I thought we had gotten past that years ago. I guess not.

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
Well, I don't know what they were trying to pull off here, but I did expect to see a six hour show, with an ending. If they want to make it into a series, that's ok with me, but when it ended last night it left me with questions too, and if they are going to pull off stuff like that I just won't watch any more of their mini-series.

Screw them!

Glenn

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Probably more interesting than just telling one story about trying to stop some vague impending doom. I've seen a lot of that, and I'm not fond of chosen ones (which is basically what the kid is looking like) or precognative abilities either. If Behr & company came up with interesting superpowers and, more importantly, interesting stories about how these people are adjusting to their one-way trip forward in time, they can tell interesting stories every week.

So far, they haven't really been stretching in that direction, and with the last scene taking place about nine months after the start of the miniseries, I think they may have missed that opportunity.

Garrett Adams

Supporting Actor
I have to say though at the end I dug the trees bowing to the fetus as the car drove by. Not really an elaborate effect but quite telling.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.