3D The 1980s 3-D Revival

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Richard--W, Sep 5, 2011.

1. GregK

GregK Screenwriter

In the early 80's when I saw PARASITE in single strip (over and under) 3-D, the print had some improper splices or printing, where certain segments were shown in reverse/flipped 3D where the right eye sees the left image and vise versa. Our group flipped our 3D glasses to view it properly while I alterted the projectionist. The image was switched to the correct L/R orientation, but later flipped back again. We flipped our glasses accordingly, but the rest of the packed theater watched on, seemingly unaware. Sadly, they probably just chalked it up to "bad 3-D" or "3-D" in general.

2. Richard--W

Richard--W Banned

The persistence of Anaglyph as a cheap substitute for authentic (Polaroid) 3-D has caused no end of confusion. Not only are consumers ignorant of the basic facts about 3-D, they are thoroughly confused by the proliferation of Analgyph. It screws with their memories. Even studio executives share in the confusion and misconceptions. If studio executive's minds were lucid, all the stereoscopic films would have been released in Polaroid field-sequential 3-D years ago.
    It does not help matters when the studios agree to Anaglyph conversions of classic Polaroid 3-D films for broadcast and home video releases. A lot of damage is done when Paramount releases crap like this:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I've hung out with the camera and stereoscopic crew who made Friday the 13th Part 3-D . They are proud of the stereoscopic photography and staging, which they worked very hard to achieve. It must have been disheartening for them when Paramount issued a muddy, murky, discolored and dim Anaglyph version.
    Dim projection was the most common problem in the 1980s. To see 3-D properly, projection must up to SMPTE standards for brightness. But most theaters project below the standard anyhow, thinking, incorrectly, that it saves on the electric bill.

3. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    No, polaroid glasses were tinted like sunglasses.They didn't have different colored lenses.

4. GregK

GregK Screenwriter

The 3-D DVD and BluRay release of FRIDAY THE 13TH PART III had a lot of problems besides the "normal" issues associated with color anaglyph 3-D encoding.
    Here's my full 3-D breakdown from roughly two and half years ago of the then just released 3-D DVD version:
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/t/282097/htf-dvd-review-friday-the-13th-part-3-in-3-d/30#post_3508124
    Now, of course, there is an agreed on 3-D Bluray standard, so hopefully along with proper alignment, Paramount could and likely would skip anaglyph completely.

5. Phoebus

Phoebus Stunt Coordinator

Have to say, my introdution to 3D in was in the 80s with an anaglyph version of Arnold's Revenge of the Creature.
    Think I then went on to see an 80s feature, Parasite, perhaps. This was polariod, but not of the standard I later experienced via revival houses having rare fifties 3D events in london. Not sure if I did any other 80's features from memory. Majority sounded too uninteresting for me to bother. Plus ca change.. eh? :)

6. Mike_G

Mike_G Screenwriter

Mike
    I still have the glasses from Spacehunter in the attic. No reason to keep them,really. Just fun.

7. Mark Edward Heuck

Mark Edward Heuck Screenwriter

REVENGE OF THE SHOGUN WOMEN is 21st Century, not 20th Century Fox. A mistake no doubt that the founders of the company were happy to encourage. :D
    Reportedly during the '80's revival, Aerosmith participated in a 3-D concert film that was ultimately shelved. Jeff Joseph, who mounted the excellent 3-D festivals at the American Cinematheque, said footage does exist, but would be a licensing nightmare to clear for public release.

8. Louis Saphire

Louis Saphire Auditioning

There is only one good thing about the Friday III 3-D disc, and its a bit of a secret, is the 2D version that everybody ignored. Once you have a copy of this "craptacular" edition, all one needs to do is go find the original DVD 2D release. Once that has has been accomplished you now have both the left and right views - from here it shouldn't be too difficult to figure how to create a SBS or O/U 3D print of your very own. There is a quite a bit of software around (even in places you don't expect) these days to help one make there own 3D Blu Ray. Now aren't you all glad you have two frigging copies laying around collecting dust? If a studio like Paramount can't get their crap together, well at least we now know how.

9. Richard--W

Richard--W Banned

bumped

10. FarleyFlavors

FarleyFlavors Auditioning

I've heard a few people (including a couple in this thread) claiming that they saw Jaws 3-D and/or Friday the 13th Part III in anaglyph at the cinema in the Eighties.
    While it's feasible they're all misremembering, is it possible that a few anaglyph prints were struck for theaters who didn't want to go to the expense of installing a silver screen ?

11. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    It's also possible that when the 3D boom hit again in the early 1980s, TV got into the act and began showing some Golden Age films using anaglyph technology. The only time I've ever seen any kind of 3D of Gorilla at Large, for example, was on TV using those red/blue glasses. Maybe folks are mixing up the theater and TV showings of various movies. They were happening simultaneously.

12. Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek Insider
    Insider

No, they're mis-remembering.
    Just like the nearly 60 year old memories of seeing HOUSE OF WAX in anaglyph in 1953. See Myth #1: http://www.3dfilmarchive.com/home/top-10-3-d-myths

13. KMR

KMR Stunt Coordinator

Kevin
    I'm quite sure that when I saw DIAL M FOR MURDER in 3D at the Music Box Theater in Chicago in the mid-1990s, it was an anaglyph print. I recall using paper-framed glasses with red & blue lenses, because it was the first time I had ever experienced them in a movie theater (and wasn't expecting those kinds of lenses for watching a color film).

14. Richard--W

Richard--W Banned

It's not possible that anaglyph prints were struck for theaters.
    MattH is correct that people who claim to have seen anaglyph prints of Jaws and Friday the 13th 3 are confused with television or home video presentations, or they're making stuff up.
    The advent of classic 3-D films on Blu-ray should lead to more polarized releases and eventually all the confusion should clear up. Once people see how good polarized 3-D is they'll lose interest in anaglyph.

15. KMR

KMR Stunt Coordinator

Kevin
    It was definitely in a theater, since I have never seen 3D on television (except briefly at a demo in a store last year). And the glasses definitely had red & blue lenses. However, I suppose it is possible that I am confusing DIAL M with some other movie, although I can't think of what it would have been. (I did see DIAL M in 3D, and I did see a movie with red/blue lenses, but I won't swear on a Bible that it was the same screening. But I've seen so few 3D movies that I can't imagine what other movie it would have been.)

16. RolandL

RolandL Producer

Roland Lataille
    I remember a whole group of people coming over my house to watch 3D movies (Hondo, Gorilla at Large, etc.) broadcast on TV. The 3D was terrible.

17. Richard--W

Richard--W Banned

Moderator:

is it possible to re-instate the images and formatting into these studio-by-studio 3-D threads? Some of the images are instructive, and it would be nearly impossible to recover all of them.