What's new

THATS ENTERTAINMENT trilogy - anyone? (1 Viewer)

Erik_H

Stunt Coordinator
There are many differences between the laser and DVD versions of the "That's Entertainment!" collection.

While the DVD set includes a slightly expanded version of the third film and has features not included on the laser set (including the outtake musical numbers listed in an earlier post, an excerpt from the "Mike Douglas Show" promoting the second film, etc.), most of the extras from the laser set were not included for DVD.

The laser set featured a fifth disc entitled "That's More Entertainment!" with 25 musical numbers not included in the trilogy (and different from the numbers included on the bonus DVD disc) and four numbers from "The Wizard of Oz" presented in stereo. Also, extra musical numbers followed the first and second films. Finally, the laser version included a separate audio track on two of the discs with alternate versions of musical numbers, outtakes, etc.

In terms of picture quality, the DVD versions are clearly superior to laser. The first two films in particular benefitted from remastering for DVD---the prints used for the laser version were surprisingly worn and washed out in spots, especially in the segments with Kelly, Astaire, Rooney, et. al. filmed in the 1970s.

A toss-up as to which version is preferable. While the DVD version offers a noticeable improvement in picture quality over the laser version, there are far fewer extras in the DVD set compared to the laser version. On the other hand, I found most of the laser extras to be forgettable---although there are a few gems, many of the extra numbers are mediocre.

P.S. If anyone is interested in purchasing the laser version, see my post in the "Software for Sale/Trade" forum.

Roger Rollins

Supporting Actor
I haven't even finished watching everything on the DVD set, so I must reserve final comments...

However, I cannot agree that the DVD vs. the laser collection is a toss-up...

The vastly-improved picture quality on 1 & 2, no less the thrill of 16x9 enhancement on all 3 films makes it for me right there. Additionally, the extras on the DVD are far more exciting and impressive than on the LD set overall.

Certainly the audio recordings on the LD were nice to have, but virtually all of them have since surfaced as part of soundtrack CDs, and the 25 musical numbers in THAT'S MORE ENTERTAINMENT, (which was really a promotional piece with flying VHS boxes in and out of every song)were, in many cases, a big yawn.

What I had hoped for, years ago when the LD came out, was to see the original 1974 premiere special that ran on ABC, that I thought was something I'd never see again...but here it is on the DVD, recalling the thrills I experienced watching it late-night on TV as a little kid. The Mike Douglas Show footage is fascinating, and the new (just for DVD) documentary about all the geniuses behind the scenes on the MGM musical front is not only beautifully done, but also justifiably honors so many unsung heroes that contributed to these films.

The one jewel that was on the TE LD that is sadly missing from the DVD is the magnificent MGM Jubilee Overture short.

However, one's sadness can easily evaporate, by purchasing the new 2 Disc restored SEVEN BRIDES FOR SEVEN BROTHERS 50th Anniversary edition, where the short can be found not only in 16x9 2.55 aspect ratio, but newly remixed to 5.1.

Also, the WIZARD OF OZ sequences in stereo were an innovation in 1995 when the LD came out, but now that there is a complete version of the film with a 5.1 track derived from the original multi-channel studio music session recordings, the value of that material is highly diminished.

I deeply respect everyone's different opinions here on the forum, but as a fan that is passionate about these movies, I must say that this is a must-have release.

I can't imagine anyone who already has the LD collection being disappointed with this superb new DVD package that Warner has assembled with such obvious care, and likely at great expense. Meanwhile, I paid $125.00 for the LD collection, and $35 for the DVD set. I like that difference...most definitely. For me personally, this upgrade was not only a no-brainer, but will likely rest as my number one DVD of the year!

ArthurMy

Supporting Actor
I totally agree with Roger Rollins, and thank him for his excellent post. I can't wait to get this - I've been going to all my usual haunts trying to get an early copy but others have grabbed them all up.

DeeF

Screenwriter
I got this set, and I've watched it.

I have some questions:

I had heard, perhaps erroneously, that when That's Entertainment was first released, many of the older numbers were cropped for the widescreen, meaning, they were cropped top and bottom.

Now I have heard that the musical numbers are restored for this DVD.

But when I played the "widescreen" version, which is enhanced for 16:9, I saw something really strange -- some of the numbers are indeed cropped, and some are presented in their original ratios, with black empty areas right and left. Sometimes a number will appear widescreen and another number from the same movie will appear in its OAR.

What's up with this?

I wonder if the "tags" are screwed up on the disk.

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
Trust me = Mr. Monotony was shot for Easter Parade. Mr. Monotony was recorded during the Easter Parade sessions on November 12, 1947 along with " I want to go back to Michigan". The number was filmed November 21 and 22, 1947. Supposedly the numnber was cut for the very reason y0u mention - the costume is out of period.

Roger Rollins

Supporting Actor
There is an earlier thread that makes reference to this...

In the original theatrical presentation of all three THAT'S ENTERTAINMENT films, certain sequences were "opened up" to widescreen ratio. For example in TE 1...the very first example is A PRETTY GIRL IS LIKE A MELODY, where Frank Sinatra says "If anyone could afford to film an extravaganza like this today, maybe it would look something like this...." and the image widens. The VARSITY DRAG from GOOD NEWS becomes widescreen at one point. The ATCHISON, TOPEKA opens up to widescreen. The SHOW BOAT sequence is widescreen. There are a few other examples.

Of course, this violates the OAR of the original photography, but it was a creative choice to take advantage of the wide screen in the original theatrical presentations.

In the theater, it was very exciting.

Most of the 4x3 sequences are untouched in that regard and have black bars on their sides.

The 16x9 transfers represent the Theatrical OAR of the three THAT'S ENTERTAINMENT films, which by using this process did take liberties with aspect ratios by blowing certain sequences up. (Rarely, and I thought effectively).

For those home viewers who don't want their aspect ratios tampered with, the 4x3 version (FULLSCREEN) on the B side of the discs offers all the 1.33 clips unaltered, and the 1.85, 2.35, and 2.55 clips letterboxed, albeit without 16x9 enhancement.

As someone who thrilled to TE 1 & 2 in 70mm as a kid at the Ziegfeld, I'm delighted to have these 16x9 versions. They look amazing!

DeeF

Screenwriter
Yeah, after I posted that paragraph about "Mr. Monotony," I removed it because I really answered my own question. It obviously belonged more to Easter Parade, because it's a song by Irving Berlin, and that's what Easter Parade had (Roger Edens pulled out all these old songs by Berlin).

And then I realized that maybe it was cut because it was so stylistically out of place, both the costume and the song. It's too jazzy for 1912, for one thing.

That's the song that got put in and pulled out of a lot of things. It finally was heard onstage in Jerome Robbins' Broadway.

As to the widescreen question, maybe it worked well on a real big screen, in 70mm. But I think it's a real weird choice when viewed on a DVD. One wants to see every shot exactly as it was originally done. I'll have to watch the full-screen version, to see if I like it better (I'm sure I'll hate Seven Brides barn dance number in this one).

Which, by the way, is a problem with the whole movie, at this point (for me). I have a lot of these movies already on DVD, and many of the numbers in That's Entertainment were cut way down. For instance, Sinatra introduces the ballet from An American in Paris at the end, calling it the very pinnacle of MGM musicals. Maybe it was, but they only show half of it, the second half. I had to get out the DVD of the movie, to see the whole thing, which really is much more effective.

DeeF

Screenwriter
Another song that went in and out of projects:

Boys and Girls Like You And Me

First written for Oklahoma! (the stage musical) but replaced by a reprise of People Will Say We're In Love.

Then it's in Meet Me In St. Louis, sung by Judy to Tom, but cut later. Hugh Martin's mother told him it was the best song he ever wrote (by Rodgers and Hammerstein -- that must really have stung Hugh!)

You can hear it on the MMISL disk, but they couldn't find the footage.

Then it goes into Take Me Out To the Ballgame, sung by Frank to Betty Garrett, again removed. This footage (missing the dialogue) is on the DVD in the jukebox section.

The song finally made it into a show, the stage version of State Fair, on Broadway in 1996.

ArthurMy

Supporting Actor
DeeF: As Roger has stated, this is That's Entertainment, not the other musicals within it and so it's being shown in the ratio for which it was designed. Sort of damned if they do damned if they don't. Why would they change it now? This is a compilation film and the DVD simply replicates its theatrical ratio. To do anything less would leave the OAR folks up in arms. You really can't think of That's Entertainment in any other way - it is its own film.

Jefferson

Supporting Actor
Cant wait to get it...
Three of my faves...
Sorry that they didnt include IS IT A CRIME
from bells are ringing,
but perhaps it will indeed be part of the BELLS dvd
release..whenever that is.

MGM=Musicals Glorious Musicals

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
I believe there were one or two numbers cut from Part 2 after its 70 MM showings. One was Lonesome Polecat from 7 Brides for 7 Brothers. Was this restored for the DVD ?

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Hey! Its smilin' Jefferson! Dude!

This was in my hands tonight....just hours before its official release. But, it will wait until tomorrow when I can find it for a much better price! ;)

The original That's Entertainment holds a special place for me as I took my mother to see it during its original theatrical run. I was 15 in 1974. We saw it in one of the great old movie theaters in the Albany area--the grand Hellman Theater on Washington Avenue. It must have held several hundred people. It was later split into a two-theater movie house a few years later. I remember the hugeness of the place and the sweeping red velvet curtain which opened to reveal the wide screen! What a perfect motion picture for me to see there.

I also remember walking out on the 1976 King King during its intermission in that very same theater! :D

Roger Rollins

Supporting Actor
I finally finished watching everything included in this set last night. It took me so long to go through everything, especially since I watched certain portions more than once (the 1974 premiere special and the new docu particularly).

In short, this collection is nothing short of stupendous.

An amazing amount of work and care went into it, obviously, as the three features look and sound better than ever, and the copious extras are truly mind-boggling.

Anyone who appreciates great Hollywood filmmaking owes it to themselves to pick up this set. Going for $35 at Amazon, for four discs, it's almost like free!

BradWOO

Stunt Coordinator
Picked this up for $35 at BJ's Wholesale Club. I can't wait to dig into it this weekend!!

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Any songs by Mario Lanza on the discs? Strange that none of his movies have ever been released on DVD. I guess the VHS tapes did not sell that well?

DeeF

Screenwriter
Yes, you can see "Be My Love" sung with Kathryn Grayson, from The Toast of New Orleans. It's in TE 1.

I'm taping many of the musicals shown this month on TCM, Mad About Musicals.

P.S. I've loved watching That's Entertainment in this splendid form -- I even bought it early out of major anticipation for it, and it has not disappointed.

Drew Salzan

Second Unit
Great collection. The three films have never looked and sounded so good. The bonus disc is particularly interesting. Even for those of you who have the laserdisc box set, this collection is a no brainer purchase. Highly recommended.;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks