What's new

That Thing You Do! Director's Cut question (1 Viewer)

Mark Silver

Stunt Coordinator
I gotta say I am surprised there are no additional performances added. I would have bet money that there was going to be extra state fair footage. Especially the one where the stage is the big playtone record.

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
Agreed. That's kind of what I thought all those extra minutes would largely consist of, and that would have been fine for me. It would slow the story down, but that's okay. I've listened to the soundtrack many times and having more "concert" moments and complete songs in the film would be a nice alternative version to watch. I'm really not too interested in a lot of extra character exposition and stuff like that.

Matt Lucas

Stunt Coordinator

So, was the song submission extra another bonus feature that didn't materialize?

Cheers,
mattl

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member
I've never seen this movie but I'm a big Beatles/60s music fan and I own and love the soundtrack...worth a blind buy?

Derek Miner

Screenwriter
I finally got through the entire extended version of the film. I enjoyed a lot of the new scenes, but some sections did get a bit too long with the reinstated footage. What this really seemed like was the assembly version: all the scenes as written in the script. And in all, for something of that sort, it held up pretty well. I always liked the attention to detail throughout the film, including all the little moments given to characters and the overall sense of true innocence and wonder (no pun intended)... the longer cut for the most part just adds more of that stuff.

I did catch one sort of continuity error, though.
In one of the added scenes of Tina at the dentist's office, the radio is playing the song "She Knows It" in the background. But based on the soundtrack album, this song is actually by The Heardsmen, the band formed by Jimmy AFTER the Wonders.

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
I like the subtle joke of the name of Jimmy's follow-up band being the "Heardsmen." He's the one who pushed for the play on words with "Oneders."

Derek Miner

Screenwriter
Ah, but if you notice the note pad where he writes "Oneders," you'll see that Heardsmen was in consideration back then as well.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
What is up here? This disc doesn't seem to be widely available where I am. I checked Best Buy's inventory online and it's not in stock at any of my local stores despite being put on sale Tuesday, and Circuit City's web site said it is "available for shipping only." I know it probably isn't going to sell huge numbers like the DVD of a more recent theatrical release would, but considering the somewhat cult-classic status of the film you would think it would be stocked somewhere. Also, none of the three big chains put either this or Big in their circulars. It seems awfully weird to me for Fox to put in the work to bring these out again, in significantly extended cuts no less, and then just dump them out there with no promotion.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Jake: I reported in this week's Weekly RoundUp (Coupons & Bargains) that I had a difficult time finding a copy of That Thing You Do.

They had a few copies at my local Circuit City. That came after being shut out at Target, BJs Wholesale Club and FYE (TransWorld).

Can't wait to report on my impressions...but they will have to wait until after Tuesday night (May 29th). We actually have a family party planned around the viewing! :D

Maybe we'll all head out to Villapianos! You know...out by the airport... ;)

Derek Miner

Screenwriter
Since there seem to be several big fans of this film here, I thought I'd share an observation that occurred to me this morning.

Assuming the Wonders had been able to hold it together as a band, is it not possible that Play-Tone needed the Wonders more than the band needed the label? There's nothing overt in the movie that suggests this, but I think there are a lot of subtle cues that this was the case. The "Play-Tone Galaxy of Stars" as seen in the movie included Diane Dane, Freddy Fredrickson and The Chantrellines. Mr. White pointed out that Diane Dane had not been having chart success recently. Guy mentioned that the first record he had bought was "Theme From Mr. Downtown" by Fredrickson, which places his hit sometime in the past. Also in the extended version of the film, Sol Siler is asked if it was true that he turned down the Beach Boys. It would seem Play-Tone was in dire need of an artist that could compete with the British Invasion bands and the Beach Boys. And the credits reveal that Jimmy eventually returned to Play-Tone as an artist AND producer, something that would seem highly unlikely considering the unpleasant nature of his departure from the Wonders. To overlook something like that, I think, would require at least a little desperation to recapture that magic of the song "That Thing You Do."

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
I, too, was unable to find this DVD at any store. I picked up the new "Big" DVD from Best Buy with No Problem, but they didn't have "TTYD," and neither did Target. I just came home and ordered it from Amazon.

JR864

Auditioning
Real Name
Joe
okay, back to the missing commentary question for a moment --

not only is the commentary listed on amazon and other sale sites, it's also listed on the foxhome.com store site

is it possible that it was recorded and left off accidentally (though it is NOT listed anywhere on the packaging....

I tried to send an email on the site, but they only accept emails from customers who ordered thru them...

2nd question -- I watched the extended version tonight...in several places (mainly the musical takes, but also the Rita Wilson scene) the audio sync is just slightly off -- did anyone else notice this?

James Luckard

Second Unit
Real Name
James Luckard
Wow, I can't believe Tom Hanks signed off on allowing them to release this extended version. The original cut is one of my favorite movies from the 90's, but Derek Miner was right, this feels like a first assembly of the film, with absolutely everything that was shot included, no matter how redundant.

Nothing that was added needs to be there, and it detracts tremendously from the film's perfect pacing. I find it hard to believe this is any sort of "director's cut." These scenes should have been placed on disc two as extras. I found it interesting to watch the longer version, but only because it increased my appreciation of the economy of storytelling in the original cut, which is the only one I'll ever watch again.

Derek Miner

Screenwriter
I think it's a mixed bag. There is stuff that's redundant, but also a few moments that I adore. I particularly liked the guys coming out on the stage in the empty theater in Pittsburgh and being in awe of the size. They had a ton of scenes in that theater that didn't make the final cut, though, and I certainly think it clashes a bit with the actual performance going badly. Also, there's a lot more foreshadowing with Faye and Guy that, as the final cut attests, was not really necessary. And the fire extinguisher sequence was likely an early trim, as it's a bit weak.

But all in all, I'm pro the new DVD because I always thought the original movie felt like following the experiences of the characters and not like a structured story. Most of the new scenes don't necessarily make the movie better or worse, they just make it longer. I probably could easily cut 10 of those new minutes out, but after that, it would be hard for me to go all the way back to the original final cut.

You know, I decided to look up "That Thing You Do" at Box Office Mojo the other day and was incredibly shocked that the US gross was less than $26 million. The budget isn't noted, but I can't imagine they made the movie for less than $30 million. It's not a "Bonfire of the Vanities" disaster, but a shock when you consider everything Tom Hanks was in starting with "A League of Their Own" through "That Thing You Do!" had grossed at least $77 million ("Philadelphia" was the low number in that bunch, the only film in this period to not reach $100 million). And there wasn't another sub-$100 million film from Hanks until "The Ladykillers," either.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

That is surprising!

The hype and publicity surrounding the film was intense. I especially remember this as I was hospitalized at the time and remember EVERY show was saturated with the premiere of That Thing You Do--all the morning shows, Entertainment Tonight-type shows, late night talk shows, etc. When you are stuck in a hospital room...alone with your TV (rather than "alone in your principles") you tend to remember these things! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks