What's new

Thank you! (1 Viewer)

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Yes! Thank you, HTF owner(s) and admins, for returning this section back to the front for better visibility (and hopefully, better traffic). :emoji_thumbsup:
htf_images_smilies_banana.gif
htf_images_smilies_dance.gif
htf_images_smilies_rock.gif
:D

I was starting to think I need to go back to visiting dpreview's forums regularly or maybe even the SPOT (when I don't want the insanity over in dpreview :D). Talk about format wars. It's constantly Canon vs Nikon (or the world) over there -- and there's just no letting up since the introduction of the Nikon D3.
htf_images_smilies_chatter.gif
:P I still need to drop by over there once in a while for news and small bits of rumors (and maybe the Gallery forum for an occasionally interesting photo or two), but don't want to do it for actual chat...

Thanks again!

_Man_

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Hopefully some good info here. I've learned to filter DPREVIEW enough to be usefull, but I'm personally attached to POTN and NikonCafe....

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
There certainly is not the amount of activity here that you see at dpreview, but there is a lot of insanity there to sift through. I can do without the Canon - Nikon wars, and there are some very knowledgeable photographers here at HTF. Hopefully, we'll get enough activity to warrant Ron and Parker's action of restoring this to full forum status.

I plan on upgrading to a Canon 40D this spring (from my current Canon Rebel XT), so I should be an active participant. I do not get to shoot much this time of year, though, since the weather is so dreary. It seems like we do not see the sun at all from December until March in Michigan.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
This is something you guys obviously wanted and
Parker and I were happy to oblige!

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW

I used to visit those 2 also, but haven't in a long time. Well, since I didn't go w/ Canon for my DSLR gear (and didn't continue to use their compacts either), my stay at PotN was shortlived of course. :D The folks (and the general environment) at NikonCafe are very pleasant, IIRC, though a couple of them do sometimes get into unnecessary spats on dpreview's forums over the Canon vs Nikon thing. :P

And yeah, I just try to filter out all the "noise" when I do visit dpreview forums on occasion nowadays. One thing good about their forum software/format is it does make it easier for me to pick-and-choose which sub-threads to follow in each discussion (based on the posters involved and the post/reply title) instead of having to wade through pages and pages of "noise" and whatever OT stuff -- that makes even the super "hot" threads somewhat manageable. Unfortunately, the search function there isn't so useful though.

BTW, would it make more sense to rename this forum section "Photography and Videography"?

_Man_

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
All that Canon vs. Nikon crap dates back decades before digital, believe me. It basically started during Vietnam when those two companies were in a blood feud over photojournalists. If you want to know my feeling, the easiest way to tell a clueless "photographer" is when they harp over brands.

Since the late 70s I have owned and used every 35mm brand made (many of which no longer exist) and many medium and large format brands, and it makes virtually no difference. You just have to make sure you have good optics, regardless of the brand, and know what you are doing.

Crap, my eyes glass over whenever someone goes into how superior they are becuase of the hardware they bought.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

The introduction of the XSi has not changed my plans. The 40D still has advantages over this new model that are important to me: (1) Better high ISO performance, (2) ISO 3200, (3) better auto focus performance, (4) better ergonomics and controls, and (5) compact flash memory support all come to mind.

As my photographic skills have advanced, I've begun to struggle with my Rebel XT's interface when trying to adjust numerous settings. The 40D (and its predecessors) allow for easier access to many of the control settings I need. For example. shooting in manual mode is cumbersome on the XT, since there is a single scroll wheel used for adjusting both aperture and shutter speed, and I'll constantly press the wrong button when trying to adjust aperture in manual mode. The 40D has separate controls for adjusting these settings.

The 40D has already dropped some in price. It can be found at reliable online retailers for about $1,150 (body only). I've been waiting for another price drop, too, as I will not be using the camera much until April. I'll probably make my purchase in another month or so, looking for an enticing sale.

Marianne

Supporting Actor
I'm still favoring the 40D, just want to check out the XSi before I buy. I guess I can wait until April!

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David

I thought you guys were talking about how this site is so different from dpreview.com. :) I get tired of trying to sift through all of the 5D replacement threads, rumors, etc. over there. And of course everyone of those threads ends up with some Nikon/Canon crap. At times it makes me long for the days of the civility of the big HD DVD/Blu-ray "war." :)

BTW, I just recently bought a second 5D so you know the mark II is imminent.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

I'd love one, but that's a little out of my price range, especially considering I'm an amateur hack :) . The 40D is really stretching it, and should be more than enough camera for my needs. Fortunately, there is a co-worker who wants to buy my Rebel XT and Sigma 17-70mm lens, so the upgrade will not hurt too much.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David

Hey, that 40D is a nice camera. There are times I wish I had it for the crop factor and the FPS. It is a great camera for shooting sports, wildlife, family stuff, etc.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

David,

Yes, the crop factor can actually be a benefit in many cases. That's another reason I'm not looking to move to full frame. I can get more reach for a reasonable price on telephoto lenses, and I do like to take a lot of wildlife photos when we travel. A quality 600mm Canon lens is way out of my price range, but I can justify adding a much more affordable 400mm f/5.6 lens to my kit in the future. With the 1.6 crop factor, that gets me a 640mm FOV equivalent. And a 400mm lens is a lot easier to travel with than a 600mm lens on an airplane. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks