What's new

Thank-you HD DVD and Toshiba (1 Viewer)

JeremyR

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeremy
The fact that they are abandoning HD DVD does not pose well for their future making any kind of player with HD DVD capabilities.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Not necessarily. It only means that they are abandoning any future development of the format, meaning no new features. They are continuing support for those who bought into the format, and arguably that could include combo players.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David

I would hope that you are right, but I have a sinking feeling that Jeremy may be correct with his assumption. I would love to be wrong and admit I very well may be. I just got the sense that Toshiba was moving on and looking to develop the "next thing".

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David

I may well do that David. If it weren't too much of a pain to haul my gear, I'd even consider running the test with my audio class when we discuss compression. The disc probably won't be out in time anyway. Oh, well.

Oh, and I absolutely agree with you that 640 kbps DD vs lossless is a no-brainer. I'd add that 640 kbps DD versus a 1500 kbps DD+ track is also a no-brainer. It is the other comparison we have been discussing that is more difficult.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Maybe. I think it's more likely that, when it comes time to manufacture their first Blu-ray player, they'll see that including HD DVD capability is pretty close to free (they don't have to include any components that wouldn't be found in a Profile 2.0 BD player), and doing so will make their players more desirable to the couple hundred thousand or so people who have HD DVD collections than their competitors'.

JeremyR

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeremy
That would be a great deal, if we knew something fairly soon it might even prevent me from buying a backup standalone and just waiting for that and putting my standalone HD DVD player in storage for backup. I don't find the Samsung and LG's particularly appealing.

VicB

Agent
Real Name
Victor Bullara
Thank goodness I did not buy an HD DVD player.
htf_images_smilies_banana.gif

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S

Actually LG said today that they will continue supporting HD DVD with combo players. So there may still be hope for a combo player in the future. Link

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David

Well this seems as good a time as any for me to use the laughing smilie for the first time:

:laugh:

David Coleman

Supporting Actor
Great thread and so true!! I agree BD wouldn't be where it is had it not been for the competition from HD DVD. My hopes for BD now is that BD Live and bitstreaming become a staple of all BD players from henceforth!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks