What's new

Testy Area 51 (2 Viewers)

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Wait, the Coen Brothers won? I'm sure they were American Jewish brothers, not Brits. :P
nice to see that Daniel Day Lewis won, he totally carried that film. The film was great too, wonder why it wasn't up for best film? :P
Who is the bionic woman, the bird (look at me being all Brit) from 300? That's probably why they picked her. I recognize Swindon, and think she is quite good. What did hopkins win an award for? not dying? Can't be for fracture, that was a goofy ass film, though he was good in it. Gosling sucked though, with that goofy southern "y'all" accent.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
oi that fit bird from 300 is in the Sarah Connor Chronicles Russle, not Bionic Woman. Anthony Hopkins won a sort of lifetime achievement award like they do at the Oscars with the um whatsit award. :P
So glad to see Day-Lewis pick up an award and not mention Heath Ledger, let's hope he can contain himself at Oscar time. Ledger and Brad Renfro made an appearance on screen along with other dead celebs in a tribute segment.
One of the biggest cheers of the night was when Sylvester Stallone appeared to present an award, seems the Brits have a soft spot for ol' Rambo. :)
htf_imgcache_25419.jpeg

Roy Scheider 1932 - 2008 RIP :frowning:

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
LEdger and Renfro died THIS year though? Does that mean they get 2 years of tributes? What the hell? :P
Shame about Scheider. I can't claim to be a huge fan, but he's one of those guys who shows up and is really good. One of my favorite bits of his was in "The Rainmaker" where he's the big bad. Comes off elegant and threatening all at once. Nice bit of work there.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Well like the Oscars, it's whoever died since the last awards show. I'm sure Heath Ledger will be mentioned at the upcoming Oscar show, Roy Scheider too.
Jaws was and still is one of my top favorite films. I saw the film many times at the cinema in the mid 70's, queues round the block I'd never seen anything like it. Jaws was the first film to gross $100m in it's first run in the US. Roy Scheider was great as Chief Brody and I think I'll watch the film again this weekend in tribute.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Yeah, I might give old Jaws a spin to. I hadn't seen it till it's first DVD debut, but had alwas really liked Jaws 2 *ducks brick*. Having rewatched Jaws 2, no, I don't know what I was thinking. Actually, I'm going to track down "Blue Thunder". LAzurika did an SE of it for DVD, and I loved it when it came out and haven't seen it since the 80's. :emoji_thumbsup:
I never realized the death tributes were between award shows, and not in the past year. I've only been watching the oscars for about 23 years, I should of picked up on that.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
How old were you Russell when I was watching Jaws at the cinema in the mid 70's? ;)
I like Jaws 2 too, not in the same league as the first but it was fun seeing those kids getting picked off one by one by another great white, John Williams score was a plus. Jaws 3 was bad, the shark was about 35ft long in that one which got a bit much. And Jaws the Revenge has a permanent place in many film fans lists of worst films ever made, along with Superman IV and [whispers] Ishtar! :P

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
how old was I? Lets see... the national internet says Jaws came out in 1975, I was 1 year old or so? :P The first Jaws film I remember in the theaters was Jaws 3-D, and I was sad since my bum eye ment 3-D wouldn't work for me. Then I saw it on Superchannel and wasn't sad anymore, it's the Michael Cain one right? I hated Michael Cain for years after seeing him in that. XD First movie I saw in the theaters was "Star Wars". Ruined my life! I collect movies like junkies do heroin and have zero appreciation for live theater, all because of Star Wars. XD

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Kung Fu Cinema was my favorite movie genre for a while back in the 70's, until Star Wars came along and sci-fi ruled. :P
Dennis Quaid was the star of Jaws 3, Michael Caine was in the next one Jaws the Revenge. Sir Mike appeared in an awful lot of crap in the late 70's and 80's, Beyond the Poseidon Adventure, The Swarm, The Island, The Hand, Dressed to Kill, Escape to Victory, Jaws IV... Ben "call me Sir dammit!" Kingsley has been trying his darndest to beat Caine's string of razzie contenders. :crazy:

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
De Palma's x-rated Dressed to Kill is a guilty pleasure, fantastic use of widescreen as is usual in De Palmas films. A riff on Psycho, the shock climax has to be seen to be believed, bonkers mad, and so is the film. :)
htf_imgcache_25420.jpeg

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
Very sad to hear about Roy Scheider. He was a favorite in films like "Marathon Man", "Sorcerer", "52 Pick Up" and "The Seven Ups". I even saw "Last Embrace" at the drive-in just for him!

Is that Marion Cotillard in the photo up above at the BAFTA's with Javier Bardem?

I watched "The Game Plan" this weekend. A little too "family friendly" and sappy for me, but I like The Rock. The little girl was pretty annoying.

I'm now working on my Season 1 boxset of "Big Love" starring Bill Paxton (who is NOT my avatar), Jeanne Tripplehorn and Chloe Sevigny. I find the interaction between Bill and his 3 wives, as well as amongst the wives very interesting; the side stories about his parents and business conflict drag it down a bit. Strange that Bill shows his butt in every episode but the women are never so exposed.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Elizabeth S said:
Is that Marion Cotillard in the photo up above at the BAFTA's with Javier Bardem?
Yep that's her, she was almost speechless when she won, she looked stunned.
Tony, the format war is practically over, but did the best format win? oooh :)

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Elizabeth S said:
Strange that Bill shows his butt in every episode but the women are never so exposed.
Some where, Jean Claude Van Damme sheds a tear over never landing a TV series...
Are the formats really all that diff? Ones blue, ones red, big deal. Neither of them seem to actually work without daily firmware updates. :P

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
WOAH!! Whats with the weird header thing popping out at me at the top of the screeen???
I'm scared! not WAPLAND scared, but scared all the same!
*bites Steves fist*

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
Russ is a young pup. Damn sad to hear about Roy Schider. Tony, your link went to no place. Guess the thread got locked. Sorry i mssed it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.