What's new

Testy Area 51 (3 Viewers)

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
RickER said:
In the middle of the South Pole you have a big sink hole with a tropical jungle. Some people in a helicopter crash it it. They have to repair the chopper before their ship leaves them. They also find a survivor of another expedition.
Wasnt their a movie also called Unknown Land? Unknown Island? Fathom Unknown? Phantom Unknown, 20,000 Unknown Islands?
do they find Ka-Zar?
htf_imgcache_25177.jpeg

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Steve Christou said:
I've got a whole bunch of MST3K's here Russle, including Danger Diabolik, Hercules Unchained, Rocketship XM, Incredible Melting Man, This Island Earth and Gorgo. :)
I'm yet to watch the regular versions of those :P

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
wooo...Rocketship X-M had a MST3K? I didnt know that. I used to read Turok, the Indian living in the caveman/dinosaur days Russ. Talk about a crap comic, but i loved dinosaurs!

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I couldn't imaging a regular comic of his. I only ever read him when the Fantastic Four ended up in the savage lands, or the X-Men help him out... he seemed to be a bit of a puss needing a lot of superhero help... I think Tarzan probably could of taken him.
ELIZABETH! What movies you seeing this weekend? I might have a movie date this week and need sugestions! Where is that girl?

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
Russ, i took a date to see Rambo part II, 25 years ago. If it worked then, it would work now. What, you dont need my recommendation?!

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
Russell G said:
ELIZABETH! What movies you seeing this weekend? I might have a movie
date this week and need sugestions! Where is that girl?
Yes, Russell? :D What are you deciding between?
I'm probably skipping going to the movies this weekend. The last one I saw was "Cassandra's Dream" last weekend. Wow, Colin Farrell and Ewan McGregor together :). It was quite involving despite some awkward dialogue delivery by McGregor, but OH -- what a clumsy ending!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
ha ha! I have no idea what the options are really. I already saw Rambo, so no chance of getting her to see that one. :P You tend to pick the classy titles...
last one I took her too was "There Will Be Blood"... I might be premature in this movie date based on that one... XD

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
If she likes romcoms, there's "P.S. I Love You" or "27 Dresses". Not my genre, but I liked "P.S."
This is one of the worst times of year for movies! "The Orphanage" is a good one if it's playing there -- eerie without being very graphic and concludes on a very emotional note. I forgot if you saw "Michael Clayton", but it's been rereleased and she can look at George Clooney for a couple of hours. :) If you HAVE to, "Atonement" might do, but it is SOOOOOOO overrated.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
She saw Atonement and decreed it a bit much. She did get it a bit confused with "There Will Be Blood" though. She was telling me about it and then talk of preachers and oil would slip in and she'd get all confused and go "no wait, thats not the english one! That's the other long one!"
I think I ruined her with my movie pick. XD

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
ELIZABETH! The Golden Age, I quite enjoyed recently. The great Cate Blanchett was majestic as the Queen gaining two Oscar nominations for playing Elizabeth I, one in 1998 and another for this sequel. I'm trying to think of other actors who have had more than one Oscar nomination for playing the same character - Paul Newman as Eddie Felson and Al Pacino as Michael Corleone, are two that come to mind.
Clive Owen plays Errol Flynn, sorry Walter Raleigh in Elizabeth the Golden Age and is suitably dashing. The Spanish are the nasties in this slice of history and epic battles at sea form the climax, all done in computer of course. The film is enjoyable even if real events have been messed around a bit for dramatic license.
htf_imgcache_25245.jpeg

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I never saw the first Elizabeth. I don't know, those costume dramas are a tough sell for me. they always end the same anywya with someone getting their head cut off so I never watch them. :P
I did watch the legendary in Testyland "Hillbilly Gamera" last night though. I threw it on to show some friends and we got too lazy to turn it off. Funny stuff, I wonder how much the english dub cast made to do that? I wonder why all monster movies can't be dubbed into southern texan, with the plots transposed to Arlington. XD
We also watched guilty pleasures "Barry Gordon's The Last Dragon" and Burt Reynolds in "Hooper". I used to watch these all the time on the movie channel. They stiull mostly hold up too. Not a bad movie night. :P

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
I love The Last Dragon and Hooper, fun movies, I must have worn out my vhs tapes of those two back in the video days. Howard the Duck is out soon on region 2, woohoo! :D
Forgot to mention I saw Cloverfield last night with some friends, Sandra wisely stayed home. An interesting take on the monster on the loose genre, but one is enough no more shaky cam monster movies please! You do get a little nauseous after a while, the camera does shake a lot, especially when they're running and filming at the same time. You do get glimpses of the monster, but you have to wait till nearly the finish to get that one good lingering look at it, and it's an ugly beast. A shame, the monster was kind of wasted in this film, it would have been a memorable beastie in a more conventional movie.
There can't have been more than 5 mins of monster footage in the entire film, less is more seems to be the movies mantra. The monster seems to shed large spider-like parasites which pounce on people and bite them to death? I didn't care for any of the characters, the film is so frantic you don't get to know them that well. An interesting experiment but I wish I'd waited for the dvd.
The Cloverfield monster looked a bit like the one in the Korean movie The Host, a lot bigger though. The Host was a much better movie. The first 15 minutes when the monster appears on the beach and everyone starts running is a fantastic piece of cinema.
htf_imgcache_25363.jpeg

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
I need to rent The Host. I will rent Cloverfield when it comes to DVD. So Russ, did you not have your date? I never get to have many people over to watch cheesy stuff with. Everyone works to much.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I never did see the host either. I think the 2 disc sets on the cheap wall at HMV, I'll have a peek on monday.
Date? Sheessssssssssh, testyland is going to turn into Peyton Place, I can just see it. We'll get all the ladies viewing us, and the "Star Wars Collectables" thread will cry. XD no date this weekend, maybe this week. It's a big if, but really, no need to get more soapy :P
Every Saturday night is movie night with the guys, pretty much open to whoever wants to show up at my cousins. sometimes we watch good stuff, or at least popular stuff (last weekend was "Oceans 13", "Fracture" and "Death Proof"... guess which one I suggested? ) this week, not so much. The rooms pretty much what I imagine MST2K to be like, good times. :D

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
The British Academy Awards are on tonight. Have to watch them I suppose, Atonement has 14 nominations and is sure to win big, at the very least Best British Film. Daniel Day-Lewis and Julie Christie are the front runners for top acting honours.
Biggest surprise is seeing The Bourne Ultimatum nominated as Best British Film, I know it had a British director but surely it's an American film. Eastern Promises is in the same category. Sunshine, 28 Weeks Later and Hot Fuzz aren't listed though. :P

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Everyone says Atonement is crap. Bourne Ultimatum wasn't all that great, so it really doesn't say much for British Film since it got a nom... I'll cheer for Eastern Promises since it has a Canadian director. :P
I had high hopes for hot Fuzz, but found it a bit long. Still pretty good. 28 weeks Later was bit goofy in plot but decent and I never saw the Sci Fi one. not sure it even played here. Where are the goofy Brit filoms we never hear about? Surely there's a movie out about (real) football that was a big hit?

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Yep Hot Fuzz was too long, still funny though, Shaun of the Dead was better.
There are cheapie Brit films that get released, but they come and go fast and no one remembers them by awards time. It won't be long before they start labelling every film that has a British actor in it as a British film. There Will Be Blood? It's got that Daniel Day-Lewis in it, let's put it in the British Film Category. Indiana Jones? Hey that cockney git Ray Winstones in that, British Film? yeah! :D

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
:D I haven't watched Bionic Woman, it's funny they picked a young British tv soap actress to play that part. Well I find it funny. America's a huge country and when it came time to cast the part of Bionic Woman they wanted whatsername from Eastenders? [falls off chair]
htf_imgcache_25379.jpeg

Atonement lost a whole slew of BAFTA awards but did win the big one, Best Film. Daniel Day-Lewis won Best Actor and Best Actress was won by Marion Cotillard, who? Javier Bardem won Supporting Actor and Tilda Swinton Supporting Actress. Best Director went to the Brothers Coen. Last award went to Sir Anthony Hopkins who was awarded the Academy Fellowship.
htf_imgcache_25380.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.