What's new

Testy Area 51 (5 Viewers)

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
I saw a spoiler-filled plot summary of that one back when it was in theaters. It looked to me like a pretty blatant rip-off of The Lady Vanishes, which was one of Hitchcock's most popular British movies of the '30s. I don't remember if you're into older movies or not, Rick, but if you like Hitchcock you should check that one out. Criterion is re-releasing it in a couple of months, but their original release of it looked pretty good, and I assume it's still on Netflix.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
huh wha? someone say my name?? NANCY DREW!! What?
Flightplan was your first netflix? [snicker]. Kidding, it was alright. I like Jody foster in the motion pictures.
tonight I might see Fantastic four Silver Surfer thing. Depends how pooped I am after the gym. I'll let you all know.
I saw a really good romance movie this weekend "The Whole Wide World". It's about the true story of Robert E Howards romance with a school teacher. Observant Droogs well remember my obsession with pulp writers, Howard created Conan. anyways, thios worked as both a romanace and a bio pic, and Howard was shit house bonkers, so it was pretty good in a movie of the week thing.
and yup, I'm training new staff, so my access will be limited. Miss MEEEEEE! :P

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
Haggai said:
I saw a spoiler-filled plot summary of that one back when it was in theaters. It looked to me like a pretty blatant rip-off of The Lady Vanishes, which was one of Hitchcock's most popular British movies of the '30s. I don't remember if you're into older movies or not, Rick, but if you like Hitchcock you should check that one out. Criterion is re-releasing it in a couple of months, but their original release of it looked pretty good, and I assume it's still on Netflix.
I love Hitch, and thats one i have not seen. Thanks Haggai i will add it to my Netflix.
Yea Russell, Flightplan was 5th or 6th on the list to rent, but the first available. I didnt put things in any order of importance. I even have some real B movie shlock from the 50s...Robot Monster.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
mna, my list is all schlock, like "the Curious Dr. Hump", stuff like that. I think I have all of "Something Weird Videos" catalog on it.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
James Ellroy said:
Fuck Russell Crowe! THAT'S Bud White!
(Talking of course about "LA Confidential")
DECOY though, wow. It went from noir, to almost sci-fi with the ID exchange, then HOLY SHIT is this broad for real? Lot's of fun.
"They Live By Night" I loved as well, a nice tragic romance, if a tragic romance can be nice. "Side Street" was a little familiar after "They Live", but still enjoyable. I really like Granger, kind of a softy over sensitive version of James Stewart.
The only ones that kinda left me flat was the disc with "The Big Steal" on it. I can't even remember the other title on it. :P Not terrible movies, still 3.5 star efforts, just not as gripping as the others, for me anyways. I think this might be the best Noir set Warners put out. I still have 2 more to watch, and can't remember the names, the other Mitchum one and I think "Tension"? I'll get to those Tues weds :D
OH! I bought the horiffically offensive Dragon Dynasty version of Hard Boiled! It showed up on the 2/$30 rack at HMV, so I also picked up that origianl Godzilla twofer with the Japanese and american versions. I remember people getting their panties in a knot over that one too. Oh well. They're mine now!! I have to hold off on watching Godzilla though, I want to do the Horror Challenge again this year, despite last years nearly killing me, so I'm saving all my horror/monster/exploitation films for October. :P

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
[sniff] I miss Russell... oh wait he's still here. ;) I popped in at the weekend, no one here except rolling tumbleweed and some chirping crickets. You'd think Area 51 would be busier at weekends, naah.
Love The Lady Vanishes, my favorite of Hitch's Pre-Hollywood output. I watch it at least twice a year.
Flightplan was okay, whatsername is always watchable.
Saw The Bourne Ultimatum, good stuff, but to be honest there's not really much to this series, it's all pretty superficial, much ado about nothing, the three films could easily have been condensed into a pretty good 130min action thriller. But this way we get hours and hours of loud frenzied action, more of Joan Allen looking concerned, more of Julia Stiles looking frightened and confused, even more dizzying shakycam, and through it all Matt Damon trying his darndest to look lethal when we all know 72 year old Chuck Norris can snap his neck in the blink of an eye, without even getting up from his seat. :P

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
Glad you liked Decoy, Russell. I posted a big review of it for a noir-buff forum that I sometimes post to. You can check out my review here, which even works in an Enter the Dragon reference. :P The "NOTW" at the top of the review stands for "Noir of the Week," which is a feature on that forum where people sign up to do a review of whichever noir they want to talk about. I signed up for that week knowing that I'd be posting about Decoy, even before I saw it.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Seriously Haggai, that's a really good review. Your a good writer.
I always wanted to be a movie reviewer, but rarely have much more to say then "I liked it." It always impresses me to read reviews from people who I don't have any idea that they can write like that. :D

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
Thanks, Russell. The reason I wouldn't want to be a movie reviewer is that I'd have to watch tons of tons of movies that I had no desire whatsoever to see. Much easier to just stick with whatever you want to watch.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Haggai said:
want to be a movie reviewer is that I'd have to watch tons of tons of movies that I had no desire whatsoever to see. Much easier to just stick with whatever you want to watch.
See I could live with watching movies I don't want to see, just to get a bunch of free movies. :P You can pawn the copies you don't like right? I have a sneaky feeling though thats it's next to impossible to make a living as an online reviewer.
Did you take writing as a course in school, outside of like, normal high school english and that Haggai?

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
I FINALLY watched "Infernal Affairs" last night. Wow, good movie, though it was confusing at times even though I'd already seen "The Departed". Andy Lau is always so Mr. Cool. Anyway, I found the differences with "The Departed" quite interesting. And this Hong Kong DVD release had a version with an alternate ending, which would have totally ruined the film.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I was confused a bit by Infernal Affairs as well. I really preffered "the Departed".
well, I went and saw "Fantastic Four : the Rise Of The Silver Surfer". Here's my review copied from my round up.
"Better then the first, but that's kinda like saying that hard poo is better then runny poo. I still hate all the actors, the Silver Surfer makes no sense, and really, it's all about a giant cloud. Stupid. Read the books. 2.5/5"
I should probably copy Haggai if I'm going to review things :P

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
Russell, thats how i feel just by watching the previews to the 2 FF4 movies! They both look like crap! I hate the actors too. Jessica Alba does NOTHING for me. Id kick her out, along with Paris Hilton, or Jessica Simpson, but thats all another story. I loath every second of preview i saw for EACH of the FF movies. I hate The Shield! I hate that the Thing was played by him, and that he looks like a guy in a rubber suit. Dr. Who has better rubber suits! Worse are the lame jokes that kiddy-fy the previews.
I should have been paid just to have sit in each of those previews. How is that for loathing a movie? :)
I could feel my IQ drop just talking about it!

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Whoa and I feel my IQ dropping just reading your posts guys, so negative and angry over what exactly? [shakes head] :D
Rick, previews? Here in Britland seeing a preview means seeing the entire movie before everyone else. I assume you meant the trailer?
Rassle, you gave FF2 a generous 2.5/5 which is more than most of the glum sourpusses did on the forum, and thats about how much I'd give it too, I'm glad you enjoyed it, don't forget it was made especially for you and your ilk. Not quite as good as Ghost Rider, but than, what is? ;)
I watched Infernal Affairs again a few weeks ago, I enjoyed it more the second time but I still don't know what the fuss was about. I have II and III here too, haven't watched them yet. But I prefer The Departed, if I had to choose between the two.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
Previews = trailers, yep.
I am not a comic coinsure. But i never like it when they think 10 year olds are the target. Even if a ten year old IS the target do you have to write the thing so dopey? The Incredibles was a smartly written movie. Fantastic Four made me wince to many time during the trailer that i couldnt stand the thought of seeing it.
The new fantasy movie with Dustin Hoffman coming this fall made me feel the same way when i saw that trailer before Ratatolli, or whatever its called.
I know i like so many movies that are shlock, but not to many of those cost 100 million. 100 million buys you lines like "whooooaaawww, thats hot!"
Course i dont hate it so much that i lose sleep, or want every copy burned. I just know it could have been better, for what it cost. Like most movies these days.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Rick, there's something funny I've noticed on the forum during my walkabouts, there's a newbie named Paul KTF or something like that, only been here a couple of weeks and he's already started 19 different threads!
4 of which are Wizard of Oz themed, now here is where it gets strange, he only posts in his own threads! Never in any one else's. He sits there waiting for someone to post in one of his threads and if he gets bored he starts another thread. Wow I've never encountered that kind of behaviour here before. If he ever does post in someone else's thread I think we should all jump in and post dancing bananas. ;)

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
they did a horrible job to Fantastic Four:
Reed Richards is a bumbling goof, instead of the strong goto guy.
Thing is a whiney bitch
Sue is a dumb bimp instead of a scientist on par with but not as smart as richards
Johnny they pretty much pegged
Doom is just an abomination.
Incredibles is a better Fantastic four movie. :P
And I've been wanting in on a thread invasion for ever, lead the way Master Christou, lead the way! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.