What's new

Testy Area 51 (3 Viewers)

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
You're more of a sports fan than I am Haggai, the only team I was ever passionate about was Manchester United and that was ages ago. :)
[scratches head] Zen I couldn't make out what you were saying in that post (as is usual - wink) what are the Hello Dolly and Niagara Falls references? And here I thought Russell's posts were confusing. ChrisDAC's posts of course are in another plane of reality altogether. Ray is in his own little universe. Have I missed anyone? ;)
My late night movie -
htf_imgcache_1685.jpeg

Based on H.P.Lovecraft's The Colour Out of Space. Haven't seen this one in ages.

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, I was referring to Manchester United in my post, they won at Benfica earlier this week (though maybe you understood that's who I was referring to). I remembered you saying elsewhere that you were a Man U fan, though I hadn't realized that you don't follow them much anymore. Oh, and just to catch you up on what you may have missed since you were last following them, Bobby Charlton and George Best don't play for them anymore. :crazy:

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Holmes: Watson, what are you doing?
Watson: I'm trying to corner the last pea on my plate.
(Holmes takes Watson's fork and squashes the pea)
Watson: You squashed my pea!
Holmes: Well, now you've got it cornered.
Watson: Yes but squashing a fellow's pea.
Holmes: Just trying to help.
Watson: I didn't want it squashed. I don't like it that way - I like it whole so that you can feel it pop when you bite down on it.
Holmes: Sorry, wasn't thinking.
htf_imgcache_1702.jpeg

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Yep, excellent cast for a Holmes movie. James Mason steals the film as Watson, trying to corner his pea. :)
I was going to watch Die Monster Die Rick but being in a Holmes and Watson sort of mood I watched Murder By Decree instead, Karloff will just have to wait. ;)

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Haven't seen Murder By Decree in years. Don't remember much about it even. Holmes taking on the Ripper would be perfect October fare so I might have to give it a revisit.
I've been plowing through the unaltered Star Wars Trilogy, Universal Sci-Fi Collection
htf_images_smilies_banana.gif
and I'm almost done with Universal's Karloff Collection.
Watched one of your "picks to click" in POLLS Steve, Mackenna's Gold. Holy shit! there were about a half dozen scenes/concepts that very well could've been lifted by George Lucas for his Indiana Jones Trilogy.
BLOODY THIEF! DAMN YOU LUCA$! DAMN YOU TO HELL!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)
Also watched the DVD of Beowulf & Grendel last night. Very gritty/down to earth take on one of my favorite folk-tales. Good stuff. :emoji_thumbsup: Reminded me a little of Boorman's take on the Arthurian Legend, Excalibur (A favorite of mine).

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
I watched the new DVD of This Island Earth last night. Guess i can sell the old one now. The color is much better than on the Image release. Seems half of what i get is double dipping for me. I bought the 2 disc Nightmare on Elmstreet, and this week i will buy the new Body Double disc. I think Body Heat and Porky's are coming out soon too. Most of those are older DVDs, so while its a double dip i hope for better PQ.
Mackenna's Gold? Hmmm...dont know it. Might have to look into it.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Mackenna's Gold, a spectacularly over the top western epic, one of my guilty faves. It's like they took a 13 part western serial and edited it to 2 hours. I suppose the bit with the sun rising and the huge shadow pointing the way to the lost canyon of gold may have influenced a scene in Raiders. Glad you enjoyed it Jim. Worth checking out Rick.
Beowulf & Grendel? Haven't seen it [jots down title] I'll keep it in mind.
Watched This Island Earth last week, yes it was an improvement over the previous copy. It's one of my favorite sci-fi films. I've been watching a lot of fifties sci-fi recently, some were good, some were crap, some enjoyably crappy. It Conquered the World could have been good if it wasn't for the cringeworthy scenes showing the silly looking alien monsters, which were obviously being moved about on wheels. Lee Van Cleef and Peter Graves starred and probably wished they hadn't. :)
And the best of them all coming in November - Forbidden Planet - 2-disc special edition, yummy!
htf_imgcache_1723.jpeg

http://www.digitallyobsessed.com/sho...elease&ID=7165

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
Going to the great State Fair of Texas today. It's not quite the same as it was back in the Centennial Year of '36, when it served as the backdrop for The Big Show with Gene Autry, but it's very well worth the visit. An enormous combination marketplace, showcase, carnival, museum, you-name-it. If only there were a "cotton candy" smiley!

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Have fun at the fair. I myself have been KO'd by a one to punch of bad news and the flu. What does that mean? It means I did little yesterday but watch movies:
THE RG Film crime/noir Film fest wrap up.
Watch out for your chins, as I made a mighty comeback friday and yesterday, watching a whole gaggle of films.
HOUSE OF STRANGERS: Not much of a noir, but decent. Edward G Robinson is awesome as always.
I WAKE UP SCREAMING: A great noir. Victor Mature has the great mix of being just greasy enough that he's always great in these films.
VICKIE: A remake of the above. not as good.
SHOCK: Another great noir, Vincent PRice is always a joy.
14 HOURS: Not so much a noir, but thee story of a jumper was still pretty great.
OWING MAHOWNY : A true story about a banker who's gambling addiction starts to get out of control. Phillip Seymore Hoffman was fantastic again.
BOONDOCK SAINTS : Not as good as it's reported to be. The director tried too hard in some of the sequences for my taste.
OVERNIGHT: The documentary on the director of Boondock Saints ego trip. Actually better then Boondock.
And thats it. I'm off to the Scary Movie Challenge.

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
All shall be revealed in due time. eBay has made life much easier for the mad scientist! One can buy parts for virtually anything.

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
Rick, Altered States is a cool one. I watched The Life Aquatic with Steve Christou last night. I sat there and devoured a pint of Half-Baked and am still a tinge speechless. That's a trippy flick

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Hey the gang's all here!

I tripped The Life Aquatic too Zen. Good stuff.

Maaary! We nearly sent out a search party, love your signature btw.
htf_images_smilies_smiley_wink.gif

- EMPIRE MAGAZINE INTERVIEWS BORAT -

- WARNING MAY OFFEND -

Quote:

EMPIRE: What is your favorite film and why?

BORAT: I very much like Womanman Doubtfires and sex comedy The Accused. I like because they are nice.

EMPIRE: Which is your favorite James Bond film and why?

BORAT: It hard to say, I like all five!

EMPIRE: And who overall is your favorite Bond?

BORAT: Although I very liking the Sean Conneries, my favourite is the new one Roger Moores.

EMPIRE: Is Tom Cruise popular in Kazakhstan?

BORAT: Thomas Cruise very popular in Khazakhstan, even though he do not have moustache is obviously not a homosexual.

EMPIRE: Who is your favorite American comedian?

BORAT: I very fan of Edward Murphy. In Khazakhstan we laugh very much at his chocolate skin. It is unusual!

EMPIRE: What do you think of George W.Bush? Is he a good President for America?

BORAT: We in Khazakhstan admires Georges Bush very much and has recent adopt US system of democracys, with only a few small difference. For example, womans cannot vote, but horse can. Also in Khazak election, winner not man with most vote, but candidate who can suspend heaviest weight from his testes. Our present leader hold record for suspend car battery almost 8 seconds! We think Bush very strong man and very handsome but not as handsome as his father, Barbara.

EMPIRE: Finally who is your favorite superhero and why?

BORAT: My favorite superbhero is Khazak lady, "Astounding Woman" She have 12 magnificent breasts - 5 front, 5 behind and 2 under - that produce sufficient milk to make 25 kilogram of cheese a day, and her vagine so big that she can give birth to 14 sons at one time. Also her brain so powerful for a woman that at end of working day she can lock her own cage.

Oof depending on your sense of humour that's either going to put you off ever seeing the movie Borat or make you want to see it even more, and I'd also suggest checking out the trailer before deciding. Assuming some of you have never heard of Borat (Sacha Baron Cohen) of course.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I'm a waiting for Borat.
Mary's back! SHES'S ALIVE! ALIVE!* Too bad I have no idea what's she's talking about.
*Monster tribute.
I didn't like Aquatic as much as Andersons other films. Still, better then most films.

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
Apparently Kazakhstan removed all nukes from its soil by the mid '90s, so no worries on that front. The Borat trailer looked pretty weak to me, although I did like the Ali G commercials that he did for the NBA last season. He would interview players and ask them nonsensical questions, like when he insisted that the winner of the MVP (most valuable player) award had really been named the "MP3" of the league.
I was disappointed in Life Aquatic, though Bill Murray as Steve Christou was a pretty entertaining character. I do love Rushmore, probably my favorite comedy of recent years.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.