What's new

Testy Area 51 (1 Viewer)

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
I did not. I don't venture out much here anymore due to the size of this forum. I don't have the words, but what I do have is the means to help, I remember Jack, and I will. So very sad, I read it all late last night and am beyond sad to read his life story. Thank you Mike for the heads up, without your post I most likely would have never seen that.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Jack Briggs was the first person I connected with here when I first joined the HTF 14 years ago. I'm so sad this happened to him. We were both 'cat people' loved 2001 A Space Odyssey and our significant others (at the time) were named Sandra. Our biggest disagreement was over the merits of Zardoz, his 2nd or 3rd favorite film.

Anyone here have Diabetes? My doctor dropped the bombshell when I visited her on monday after having a blood test last month, type 2 diabetes. She looked more worried than I was, not knowing much about the disease my reaction was more bemusement than concern. Dieting and exercise are my priorities she told me, and no more chocolates or burgers. Damn! I'm not going to live on rice cakes! I bought the cheapest exercise machine I could find, a 'stepper' with what looks like two bungee ropes attached to it. I've also ordered a blood glucose monitor from Amazon, not expensive, and I can keep a check on my blood sugar levels by sticking needles into my fingers. Lovely.

Clip.jpg

Oh and Congrats Ron! :)

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
Steve Christou said:
Jack Briggs was the first person I connected with here when I first joined the HTF 14 years ago. I'm so sad this happened to him. We were both 'cat people' loved 2001 A Space Odyssey and our significant others (at the time) were named Sandra. Our biggest disagreement was over the merits of Zardoz, his 2nd or 3rd favorite film.Anyone here have Diabetes? My doctor dropped the bombshell when I visited her on monday after having a blood test last month, type 2 diabetes. She looked more worried than I was, not knowing much about the disease my reaction was more bemusement than concern. Dieting and exercise are my priorities she told me, and no more chocolates or burgers. Damn! I'm not going to live on rice cakes! I bought the cheapest exercise machine I could find, a 'stepper' with what looks like two bungee ropes attached to it. I've also ordered a blood glucose monitor from Amazon, not expensive, and I can keep a check on my blood sugar levels by sticking needles into my fingers. Lovely.
attachicon.gif
Clip.jpgOh and Congrats Ron! :)
I'm a Type 1 diabetic (insulin dependent), and while it is a little different than type 2, I'd be happy to answer any questions or give some advice in good foods that don't spike sugars, etc!I'm Sorry to hear you were diagnosed...but you're a smart cat and that's half the battle right there!!I

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Thanks Neil, from what I've read Type 1 is worse than Type 2, were you Type 2 first and it got worse or isn't that how it works? I'm trying to remember what number my blood glucose level was when the doctor was talking to me, did she say 8 or 80? I think it must be 8 mmol. Looking forward to monitoring my blood glucose at home. I'm hoping I can still get away with a Big Mac and Fries at weekend lunch or is that a big no no? I exercise about an hour a day, those bungee ropes come in very useful. :)

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
Steve Christou said:
Thanks Neil, from what I've read Type 1 is worse than Type 2, were you Type 2 first and it got worse or isn't that how it works? I'm trying to remember what number my blood glucose level was when the doctor was talking to me, did she say 8 or 80? I think it must be 8 mmol. Looking forward to monitoring my blood glucose at home. I'm hoping I can still get away with a Big Mac and Fries at weekend lunch or is that a big no no? I exercise about an hour a day, those bungee ropes come in very useful. :)
Hmmm, burger and fries!

Type 1 can be more problematic and can't go away with a regimen of diet and excercise. 2 doesn't turn in to 1 or vice versa. In Type 1 diabetics, the pancreas calls it quits in regards to producing insulin, in Type 2, I believe you still produce insulin but your body isn't able to handle it / use it properly.

Your blood glucose should be between 80 and 120 (a non-diabetic). Your A1c (or your average blood sugar level over a thre month period), should ideally be below 6. I wasn't diagnosed until I hit 21 - about a year after I moved from England to the US, so I think the scale is different over there.

I found this which gives a good overview, I sincerely hope your level wasn't 80!!!
https://www.diabetes.org.uk/Guide-to-diabetes/Monitoring/Testing/

When I was diagnosed, my blood sugar level (BSL) was over 400. Scary. I was in the hospital for 3 days. But now I have excellent control. I have been diabetic for almost 18 years and I have always maintained an A1c of between 5.5 and 6.3 - which is excellent. It means my average BSL stays around 130. (they say for a diabetic, instead of the 80-120 you should be between 60 and 150 to avoid complications that can lead to blindness, amputations and more).

I monitor frequently and watch what I eat. I can take more insulin if I'm going to indulge (man I love me some Tiramisu), but I try to be good :D

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Neil, sorry to read you've had it bad but it could have been a lot worse. I've looked at a lot of diabetic charts the past couple of days, I really hope its 8. I should have asked for a copy of the blood test results. I'll see the doctor again in 3 months. I'll be monitoring my blood levels as soon as Amazon sends me the Accu-Chek kit. At least I can still drink coffee, with sweetener of course. Thanks again.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
[skips into frame] That's cruel Mike. :P

I have to get used to looking at the nutrition labels at the back of food packets, something I cared not a jot about before. A new era dawns.

This looks interesting, a new film by the Wachowski brothers siblings. I'm one of the few people that enjoyed their last sci-fi opus, Cloud Atlas, yes I have watched it more than once. [falls off stepper]

p.s. And we sci-fi fans have another biggie to look forward too later in the year by Christopher Nolan, Interstellar.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Yeah Steve, I've seen the trailers for Jupiter Ascending for awhile now and I'm intrigued. (As discussed in another thread on HTF) - The story elements remind me a little bit of a first contact story line in Ian M. Banks' Culture universe. Sadly, Mr. Banks is no longer with us, but his SF novels dealing with the Culture are some of my favorite works in the genre.

I've seen the official trailer and read a few plot details for Interstellar. It hasn't really grabbed me so far, but it is way too early to judge something on a snippet of footage and a few paragraphs of text.

FWIW, I mostly enjoyed Cloud Atlas. I was a little distracted by the 'guess who that is under the makeup' game during the first viewing. And the quality of the makeup seemed to be all over the map, but those are minor points.

- Walter.

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
Yeah I saw Cloud Atlas with two friends and at the end we all nervously asked the others if we liked it.We all did.Really great film that grows with each viewing.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
I didn't even recognise some of the actors under all the heavy make up in Cloud Atlas until the end credits came up, though there was no mistaking Hugo Weaving, even when he turned up as a buxom nurse (I think I'm the first person to use the word 'buxom' in this ancient thread, woohoo!) :blink:

Btw the forum spellchecker prefers 'recognize' to the proper English spelling 'recognise' tsk tsk.

I've been messing about with the Accu-Chek blood monitor, I wasted 4 test strips and 2 needles trying to get enough blood to register on the monitor, it finally worked after scraping the test strip across my bloody fingertip. My glucose level was 7.7 mmol, this was before lunch. I'll check it again tomorrow after lunch. But it looks like I'm on the good side of type 2 diabetes. Phew!

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
Well, as the forum is based in America, I'd imagine it would be using our version of words.The most interesting one to me of those is aluminum/aluminium. Most people don't know the story there. The British version is spelled and pronunced differently, because when the patent or whatever was filed in the US it was misspelled and that became the official name here (minus one "i"). So each country is "correct" about their own particular pronunciation and spelling.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
The late great Jane Russell. The Outlaw looks harmless now but at the time the censor decided it was 'offensive to decency'. Filmed in 1941 it didn't go into general release until 1943 after cuts were made and the censor decided it was safe for the public to view it.

I googled 'testy area 51 buxom' and the word did appear twice before, in my posts, so I was right. :D

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Saw Captain America Winter Soldier last night in 2D. Sat through so many adverts I almost forgot what film I was there for, trailers for Noah, Spider-Man, Transcendence, Divergence sorry... Divergent, and best of all Guardians of the Galaxy which looks like a lot of fun, never read the comic.

Another winner from Marvel, Captain America is up against his evil doppelganger, The Winter Soldier, a ghost from his past and a world threatening conspiracy involving both Hydra and members of SHIELD. The action sequences are spectacular as you would expect and contain probably the best choreographed fight sequences in any comic book movie to date.

The film introduces a new hero, The Falcon, played by Anthony Mackie, does he have his own comic? Russell would know Ruuussss!

Fans of Scarlett Johansson, and they are legion, will be happy to know she's with the Cap all through the film, her biggest role as Black Widow so far.

Chris Evans, Samuel Jackson, Robert Redford are all top notch and it was a thrill seeing Jenny Agutter kicking ass nearly 40 years after Logan's Run. :D

captain-america-the-winter-soldier-black-widow.jpg

captain-america-winter-soldier-comic-con-poster.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.