Testy Area 51

Discussion in 'Testing' started by Steve Christou, Aug 27, 2002.

1. Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel Producer

Russell,

I'm still watching Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. but it isn't setting the world on fire for me. Honestly, I could probably drop it and not really miss anything. I haven't gotten to last night's episode yet as I tend to prioritize the shows and some stuff has to wait. For my money, the best comic book genre show currently airing is Arrow.

In terms of shows new for this season I am really enjoying Sleepy Hollow. Easily my favorite new show of the fall. Kind of a fantasy / supernatural version of Fringe. I'm liking Mom as well because an unfiltered Allison Janney is fun to watch. :)

- Walter.

2. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Attaboy, Steve!

You keep posting pictures like that...and the next thing you know, Parker will show up! :D

3. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    What ID?

4. Elizabeth S

Elizabeth S Producer

Elizabeth S
    Oh, one of the time-travelling films that totally messed up my mind! I just have a hard time with the logic of those type of films. Primer is the most headache-inducing film I've ever seen.
    I tried watching "Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D." and lasted for about 1.5 episodes. I realized I have too many shows already and it didn't grab me right away. Also, I found the characters rather unlikeable.

5. Elizabeth S

Elizabeth S Producer

Elizabeth S
    I like Sleepy Hollow a lot, too. I love Tim Mison's performance -- he doesn't overplay Crane's befuddlement with the modern-day surroundings.
    OK, Steve, I wasn't too thrilled with the trailers for Thor 2, but I may give it a shot next week. This week is reserved for About Time. If I can fit in a second movie, it may be All is Lost, the Redford film which will likely not stay as long as Thor.

6. Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel Producer

Agreed. They use a little bit of it in most episodes to provide some comic relief, like Abbie taking Ichabod to the baseball game, but they don't overuse it which I appreciate as well. I like the performances of both of the leads; they are both personable and seem to do a good job with the material. (Of course they are both physically attractive which is hardly ever detrimental in genre television. :) )

- Walter.

7. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    I just knew they would have to throw in the Free Masons at some point. Seems like you can't have a show involving the American and British war without throwing in the mystical Free Masons.

I do like the actors they chose for the stories. They carry the show well.

8. Zen Butler

Zen Butler Producer

Zen K. Butler
    I watch 2 Broke Girls for two reasons only.

9. Zen Butler

Zen Butler Producer

Zen K. Butler
    Elizabeth, I agree with that uneasiness of time travel films. Timecrimes was more of a surprise because I wasn't expecting much. I can't seem to get through Primer. Side note: if the wife doesn't stop with this flippin' Mumford and Sons, I am taking a metro rail straight into a brick wall. Brits should NOT be handling a banjo. Much less, pretend they are from the Appallachian

10. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Lead Actor

Dennis
    Well they may have the teeth for it.

11. Elizabeth S

Elizabeth S Producer

Elizabeth S
    I saw All is Lost today. Wow, what a nice role for Robert Redford. Couldn't help but think of Jeremiah Johnson as his other man vs. the elements story. He's so well-suited for the role as a smart, resourceful outdoorsman.

12. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Lead Actor

Dennis
    Don't forget Redford's performance in Out of Africa either. Perhaps his most romantic role and to cap it off for me his character's name is Dennis.

13. Elizabeth S

Elizabeth S Producer

Elizabeth S
    Have to see Out of Africa one day.

I saw About Time yesterday. I enjoyed it, though I was a little disappointed some lines from the trailer didn't make the final film. The father-son relationship in the film is very touching, and Bill Nighy is a gem, as always.

14. Steve Christou

Steve Christou Long Member

Steve Christou
    No cinema for me this week.

Bought a bunch of blu-rays - The Right Stuff, Fantastic Voyage, The Great Gatsby 3D, Pacific Rim 3D, This is the End, Monsters University 3D, The Hobbit Extended 3D.

Next Week - Wolverine 3D, JFK, Streets of Fire.

Currently watching - True Blood Season 6 Episode 1.

Pacific Rim 1408.jpg

Pacific Rim

15. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp
    Supporter

Russell
    Steve, that Pacific Rim cap looks like a video game!

No movies in the theater for me either. Picked up Man of Steel and The Never Ending Hobbit. My subwoofer shit the bed though so I'm not sure if I'll watch them or not until it's fixed/replaced.

Been a stupid week this past week. :S

16. Elizabeth S

Elizabeth S Producer

Elizabeth S
    I have this one on order from the UK. I have it on HD-DVD, but this Blu has some nice extras.

17. Steve Christou

Steve Christou
    Jeezus Rutger Hauer looks old in True Blood, I hope it's mostly make up.

Russ, the whole film looked like a 2 hour cutscene from a game. I haven't seen it in 3D yet.

Elizabeth, I seem to remember you mentioning you're a big fan of that film, it's been a while since I last saw Streets of Fire. Watched it many times in the 80's. A cult favourite.

Cat People (1982) was another film I watched an inordinate amount of times back then. Most of my guilty fave movies were from the 1980's, no.1 has to be Dune.

Dune (1984) 2936.jpg

18. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp
    Supporter

Russell
    I'm a season behind on True Blood, so I have old Hauer to look forward too!

CAt People is getting a fancy bluray release in January from Scream Factory. I'll probably buy it if the price is right. They do good stuff.

19. Steve Christou

Steve Christou
    Doesn't look like Cat People is coming out here in the UK on Blu any time soon, I may have to import.

catpeople1982_02.jpg

" Don't worry, a naked girl isn't getting out of this building" Lifeforce looked real good on blu-ray, especially space vampire Mathilda May, there's an interview with her on the disc and other juicy extras including isolated score. Apparently Tobe Hooper was a bit of a perv and demanded May should be 'hairless' in her nude scenes but she refused.

20. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp
    Supporter

Russell
    Lifeforce! I watched it over Halloween month. That was a fun movie, and not just because of the naked vampire :P