What's new

Testy Area 51 (1 Viewer)

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Well I'm not sure where the externals were shot in Pale Rider. I know they were shot in the Sawtooth NRA, and the town shots in the ghost town of Bodie, California. The film opens with mountains with forrested morianes below them, which could be someplace like this shot of the southern Sawtooth range:

Southern sawtooths.jpg

But it was a great day anyway. Nothing like snow capped mountains, an alpine lake, my Stetson, and my S&W revolver.

Pettit lake and stuff.jpg

That's Pettit Lake, one of the smaller ones between Alturas Lake and Redfish Lake. The surface of Pettit Lake is at 6996 feet elevation.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Heck it just clears out your sinuses.

Part of the trip was to see fall colors, but I got there too late. The aspens turn bright yellow but they are past their prime now up there and are just dry brown. Fall comes early at high elevations - and it got down to 13 degrees F last week in Stanley. IIUC trees use the onset of cold to trigger color change and loss of leaves in the fall. Serious snowfall is supposed to start next week with temps down to minus 3 degrees F next Tuesday.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Moe Dickstein said:
I miss snow.
Moe Dickstein said:
I hate Los Angeles in winter :(
Ted: Irving Berlin wrote a song JUST for YOU:
The sun is shining, the grass is green,The orange and palm trees sway.
There's never been such a dayin Beverly Hills, L.A.But it's December the twenty-fourth,—
And I am longing to be up North—
I'm dreaming of a....

:biggrin:

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Irving Berlin is certainly in commission in this film....

61KDH3WWKfL.jpg

Eagles, American eagles
America sings of her wings in the sky

Eagles, American eagles
America's strong just as long as they fly

Give us some more bombers to attack with
More bombers till the skies are black with

Eagles, American eagles
America sings of her kings in the sky

Elijah

Supporting Actor
Zen! Hey, welcome from the whole group :D

70.jpg

Ladies & gents. The site blockers are down at work. Thought this a good time to drop in and say 'ello
They got you working under Cheyenne Mtn these days?

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Zeeennnnn! I love the new signature, very moving!

Saw Ender's Game at my local Vue, it was good not great, sticks fairly closely to the book from what I can remember of it. 15 year old Asa Butterfield was a good choice for the role of Ender Wiggin, who was even younger in the book. You may remember Asa from Scorsese's film Hugo. Harrison Ford looks old, really old, surrounded by all these kids, even his chin scar is older than most of the cast and crew. Sir Ben Kingsley turns up near the end as a legendary pilot who helped defeat the insect-like alien race when they first invaded Earth, It's Starship Troopers with an even younger cast. Excellent visual effects. 4 out of 5.

I saw the 2 minute trailer to Gravity on the big screen in 2D. Still haven't decided on seeing the other 88mins.

Thor 2 next week.

Spoiler Ahead.

Avert Your Eyes!

Ender is traumatised when he discovers the game simulation was real and he was instrumental in wiping out an entire alien species. Xenocide? I think that was one of the titles for the sequels. I have the other books on Kindle, I'm curious to see where the story goes from here.

endersgame4.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.