What's new

Testy Area 51 (1 Viewer)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
The good folks at the Dinosaur Barbecue have changed all that.

They've brought good eatin' to the Empire State.

They built a location in Troy (just a few miles north of Rensselaer) right on the Hudson River. Delicious!

Stopped in for lunch just last week.

dinosaur_barbque_outside_hogs_p1.jpg

Elijah

Supporting Actor
Mike Frezon said:
The good folks at the Dinosaur Barbecue have changed all that.

They've brought good eatin' to the Empire State.

They built a location in Troy (just a few miles north of Rensselaer) right on the Hudson River. Delicious!

Stopped in for lunch just last week.

dinosaur_barbque_outside_hogs_p1.jpg
Yeah, buit can you get one of these?

flintstones-brontosaurus-ribs.jpg

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
I had intended to see Captain Phillips today, but they wouldn't accept any discount passes due to studio restrictions. So I went to Romeo and Juliet, which I had intended to see tomorrow.

I have no issues with Douglas Booth -- he certainly looks fine and he was quite good with the dialogue and acting. Surprisingly, Hailee Steinfeld doesn't come across as well, and had I not seen "True Grit", I may have thought she was a rather inexperienced newbie. For whatever reason, it felt like her expression didn't always match her words, and sometimes she was speed rushing the dialogue without enough emotion.

Basically, this was Shakespeare for dummies. Too much dialogue changed to make things clearer to the viewer, and of all things, a visual explanation of the friar's plan to make absolutely sure we understand. But the most blasphemous part of all is the final 15 minutes of this film which changes things in ways that are not acceptable!! ("Your mouth is warm" -- REALLY?!?!?!?)

Ironically, I got home from the movie to find the UK Blu-ray of the wonderful Zeffirelli version waiting for me. :) I love that movie so much. The cast and the wonderful score!!

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I saw Gravity this weekend. Seems like this one really uses 3D to good effect, but I saw the 2D version. I thought it was very good, but the raves and "masterpiece" proclamations seem a bit much to me. Sure, it's quite a technical effects piece, but that in itself doesn't make a film a masterpiece to me. Maybe the use of the character's loss and symbolism felt a little bit heavyhanded. I'm sure we'll see Sandra at the Oscars.
I believe I may have liked it a tad more. I saw the IMAX 3D version and it was incredibly immersive. The film is visually stunning, but I would agree there were times when the visual metaphors felt just a little too obvious. It wasn't neon sign with blinking arrow bad :) but it could have been a little more subtle at times.

While I really liked the performances and thought they fit the narrative well; I didn't get as much emotional resonance from the film as I had hoped. I think it is an excellent film, but not a great one simply because I could not completely connect with the characters. This may have been due to how the characters were introduced or the fact that the story is a pretty simple one when you look at it. Still a great visual experience despite those criticisms.

- Walter.

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
Whew, Charlie Hunnam backs out of Fifty Shades of Grey, and I guess the search resumes. I actually think they need to replace Dakota Johnson, too. Or maybe it's just me who has her Kate Fox etched on my mind. Physically not at all what I pictured for Anastasia Steele.

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
Saw Captain Phillips today. It was good, not great. The word "interminable" came to mind at one point. :unsure:

I'll be seeing 2 films at HIFF this week.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I watched World War Z today.

I was pleasantly surprised by how much I liked it. I don't go much for zombie stuff. I couldn't get into The Walking Dead.

I thought Brad Pitt really did a fine job in this picture.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
I liked WWZ too Mike but I'm kinda glad I missed it at the cinema. It's basically a big budget remake of Resident Evil... aah Milla.. :rolleyes:

Gravity looks impressive but I got nauseous just watching the 2D trailer so I'll wait for the blu-ray, it's basically Bullock spinning around in space for 90mins isn't it?

Looking forward to Enders Game, read the novel decades ago. But I'll wait for the reviews first. I was surprised to find out the author Orson Scott Card was a gay-basher. I thought sci-fi writers didn't give a crap about such things.

Watched Lovelace last night, rubbish! James Franco as Hugh Hefner? Found out after her mother was played by Sharon 'Basic Instinct' Stone. I hope she was wearing make up. I had to watch 70's classic Deep Throat later just to recover. ;)
Nick: I'm a hero. I was shot twice in the Tribune.Nora: I read where you were shot 5 times in the tabloids.Nick: It's not true. He didn't come anywhere near my tabloids.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Gravity looks impressive but I got nauseous just watching the 2D trailer so I'll wait for the blu-ray, it's basically Bullock spinning around in space for 90mins isn't it?
It is up to you Steve, but I'd say you are missing out not seeing it on the big screen. Did you ever watch a film for the first time at home and kick yourself for not seeing it theatrically? I'd suggest that this is one of those films.

Looking forward to Enders Game, read the novel decades ago. But I'll wait for the reviews first. I was surprised to find out the author Orson Scott Card was a gay-basher. I thought sci-fi writers didn't give a crap about such things.
I've been to his web site and some of his thinking seems kind of extreme to put it mildly. I haven't read Card in ages but I pretty much devoured all of his work during the first decade or so of his career. I'm not completely sold on Ender's Game based on the previews. Something seems a little off but if the reviews are decent I'm sure I'll view it.

- Walter.

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
Saw Kore-eda Hirokazu's Like Father, Like Son yesterday at HIFF. I thought it was wonderful. A story that will put a chill into any parent, but handled with Kore-eda's usual delicacy and subtlety. Had a minor quibble with a plot point, but it's thought-provoking, heartbreaking and uplifting.

Steve Christou said:
Watched Lovelace last night, rubbish! James Franco as Hugh Hefner? Found out after her mother was played by Sharon 'Basic Instinct' Stone. I hope she was wearing make up.
That's harsh!! :lol:

Elijah

Supporting Actor
Mike Frezon said:
I watched World War Z today.

I was pleasantly surprised by how much I liked it. I don't go much for zombie stuff. I couldn't get into The Walking Dead.

I thought Brad Pitt really did a fine job in this picture.
I loved the fact that
they killed off the scientist right away via a totally mundane method :D
Walter Kittel said:
I've been to his web site and some of his thinking seems kind of extreme to put it mildly. I haven't read Card in ages but I pretty much devoured all of his work during the first decade or so of his career. I'm not completely sold on Ender's Game based on the previews. Something seems a little off but if the reviews are decent I'm sure I'll view it.
Yeah, they cover all the key points but something still seems...off in the trailers. Card gets pretty cerebral at times (at least for my type of reading :)) and I think that adds something to what otherwise would be just another sci-fi flick.

I'd love to see more people try to integrate peoples thoughts as they did in Dune (and likely others).

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
My nephew has been trying to convince me to go with him and see Gravity at an IMAX screening. I haven't decided yet. To be frank I'm not the biggest fan of either Clooney or Bullock. But I am a sci-fi nut... the question is, is Gravity science fiction? Yes the events could happen, but the story is fiction so therefore... science fiction. :3dglasses:

I remember a huge debate here on the forum years ago about whether Star Wars was science fiction or fantasy, many excluded it from the sci-fi genre because it included the mystical force and the wizard-like Jedi, in my opinion if it includes space travel, robots, aliens and futuristic cities it's definitely science fiction. I guess some people hated to group Star Wars with the likes of 2001, Star Trek or even [bites fist] Zardoz. It's space opera, The Dambusters in Space.

Btw wasn't The Last Starfighter a bit of a riff on Ender's Game?

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
One of my favorite film projects ever is a documentary about the small Missouri town where my mom and her whole side of the family come from. My ancestors founded the town and named it after themselves, Novinger.

The wonderful woman who's stories take up most of the time in the film just passed away yesterday at 101. She was 98 when we recorded her and she said then that she didn't think she'd make 100. I knew she would. She would have been 102 next month. If you have a few minutes check out some of her memories:

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Any fans of Pale Rider here? I'm going up where it was shot later today and may get some pristine photos to post later on.

I'll have my Stetson to wear along with my trusty revolver, although the latter is a 5 shooter rather than a 6 shooter.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Dennis Nicholls said:
Any fans of Pale Rider here? I'm going up where it was shot later today and may get some pristine photos to post later on.

I'll have my Stetson to wear along with my trusty revolver, although the latter is a 5 shooter rather than a 6 shooter.

I eagerly anticipate your images.

On a side note, we have some communities here in upstate New York who are bracing for their first significant snow of the winter today. Folks in the Tug Hill Plateau are looking at a potential foot of snow today. Tug Hil is located betwixt Lake Ontario and the Adirondack Mountains. As that article notes, it is considered "the most snowed-upon area East of the Rocky Mountains."

Users who are viewing this thread