What's new

Testy Area 51 (2 Viewers)

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I'm so sorry to hear the news Rick and will be keeping you and your family in my thoughts. I hope HTF and this fine hobby provides you with some needed distraction during this difficult time.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
I appreciate the kind words guys. Yea, Russ, i am blessed with my friends, co-workers, and family. Times like this i also think i am blessed to work in the medical field. Not because we get "the best", as we may not, but because i KNOW what is going on around me. This would be even more scary, if i didnt know what all the equipment, tools, and stuff they use are. I also have lots of friends who work in hospitals, so i am never alone, and my wife is a nurse!
I am told that i am very calm, i guess so...i also know these are the cards i have been handed, so i will play them...and not to lose!

Thanks again for all the thoughts and prayers.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Rick:

I am glad you thought enough to come to the forum to let us know. I also find it wild that I have been away from the forum since I left only to come back with the move to the new platform and find that you are going to need all of your "droogs" in your corner.

We are all here now.

Parker

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
The Home Theater Forum, is pretty much the only place i post. Most other sites i visit, i dont even have a sign on! I had to let you guys know. I do really like the new forum. Hope more of the old timers come back!

Used to be friends with you on fb Parker, but i think i deleted you on a clean out of people who never post! Most of those people sent friend requests again, that i of course accepted...again. LOL Funny thing is, just about the only fb posting i do, is where my wife and i eat! I used to put up little movie reviews, but that became a pain.

I do plan on catching up on movies while i am off work. Good thing i have 400 hours of sick time. I am never sick!

Anyway, here it is 3AM, on a Sunday morning, and i cant sleep!

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
So very sorry to hear about your condition Rick, hope all goes well with you.

I don't visit my doctor as often as I should, especially in middle-age. Last time I went to my doctor was over a year ago, an ear infection nearly wiped out the hearing in my right ear, it opened a hole in my ear drum. No pain but I now have tinnitus, a common ailment, constant buzzing in the ear, never goes away, ever. Doctors aren't even sure what causes it. Some people hear a ringing noise or whistling sound, others a low hum, mine sounds like a fizzy drink placed next to my ear. Good thing is you get used to it in time. But I did read that one guy commited suicide because the constant noise drove him crazy. Usually happens to people who love listening to loud music, especially through headphones. Mine was because of a friggin' ear infection.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Parker Clack said:
We are all here now.
Hey Rick!

Devastating news. Know that you and your wife will be in the prayers of me and my wife as you move forward towards getting healthy.

One of the great things about this particular hobby is that it does mesh well with infirmities. As someone who has been home from work for stretches-on-end over the past couple of years, it is nice to be able to put a sizable dent into the queue of discs-to-watch.

It is great to hear that you've got a solid support system behind you. That is something that will really help you and your wife over the long haul. We belong to an extended church family that really knows how to take care of people in need. Allow yourself to lean on any help that people are willing to give you folks. It is sometimes hard to do...but good-spirited people want to help...and they want to help in a meaningful way. Figure out those things with which people could help you out...and let them know it! Don't be shy.

And I know you work in a hospital...but the biggest lesson my wife and I learned from my many hospital stays is that the patient needs to have an advocate there to help them out. The patient--no matter their background--should not be left to their own devices with regard to the care they are receiving. I'm sure your friends will be taking good care of you...but sometimes it is hard for the patient to be clear-headed in terms of what's going on around them and with them.

And don't over-do! Listen to your body in terms of when to slow down and take it easy (stay home).

I bet it sounds funny getting lectured on these things which you are probably routinely say yourself to people in your workplace...

Get well, my friend. :thumbs-up-smiley:

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
Thanks Mike.

I have talked to my wife about going to church. I am not a fan of organized religion of any kind. But i do have faith in God, and Jesus. Anyway, we have a good church around the corner, many of our friends go, and we were thinking about giving it a try.

I let a friends of my wife's husband mow the lawn yesterday. I love yard work, and i am vey OCD about it. But anyway, i let him do it, and it looks good. Very kind of him.

I am trying to take it easy. I watched the Blu-ray of Futureworld last night. I have no idea why i like that movie, but i do! I did have a thing for Blyth Danner (sp?) when i was a kid. She isnt even "hot", but i loved her. The music for that movie was reused on The Man From Atlantis, if anyone remembers that! LOL

Not sure what i want to watch tonight.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
RickER said:
I let a friends of my wife's husband mow the lawn yesterday. I love yard work, and i am vey OCD about it. But anyway, i let him do it, and it looks good. Very kind of him.

I am trying to take it easy. I watched the Blu-ray of Futureworld last night. I have no idea why i like that movie, but i do! I did have a thing for Blyth Danner (sp?) when i was a kid. She isnt even "hot", but i loved her. The music for that movie was reused on The Man From Atlantis, if anyone remembers that! LOL
Good for you to let the lawn mowing slide out of your control. I bet that was pretty hard for you to do. Atta boy!

Blythe Danner. Mmmmmmmmm. She's long been a favorite of mine. She was in one of my favorite episodes of St. Elsewhere titled "The Women." Another longtime favorite of mine (with that sexy husky voice) was Brenda Vacarro. I also had the opportunity to see Danner perform live at the Williamstown Theater Festival in Massachusetts. Without a doubt, she is very, very talented.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Moe Dickstein said:
What show at Williamstown, Mike? My boss was the artistic director there for 5 years and did shows there for over 20 years when Nikos ran it.
Wow, Moe. That really puts me on the spot. I'm afraid I can't remember. :blush:

Here's what I do remember. She was starring in a play with a young up-and-comer named Christopher Reeve. This was in the early to mid-1980s. It always makes me angry when I can't remember such things. I bet my wife and I have a program stuck in a photo album somewhere though.

I went several times (in the late '70s and early '80s) to productions at Williamstown and the Berkshire Theater Festival in Stockbridge. One of the great things about living in the Albany-area. I don't know why, but I haven't been in years.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
I always loved Brenda Vaccaro too. Capricorn One baby!

St. Elsewhere is the only medical show, beside Emergency!, that i could ever handle. I loved everything about St. Elsewhere except the last 10 minutes of the last episode. What were they thinking! Also a fan of the first years of Northern Exposure, made by the same people.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I always liked Chicago Hope. The first few seasons anyways with Mandy Patinkin. It was good stuff and a rare show where there was a cross over with a show on a different network. Homicide was on NBC and there was an ep where a fellow is killed and at the end of the show his organs are donated so you follow the transplant and they end up at Chicago Hope on ABC. ER was on NBC at the same time, so it was odd to see Mandy running out on the rook to meet the chopper for the heart or whatever instead of Clooney.

I've been watching old westerns mostly. Off to see Evil Dead on Thursday. Hoping for the best on that one, I love the original.

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
If it was Chris Reeve too I think my boss directed that one. I'll ask him tomorrow. The reason you haven't gone back is that most people haven't lol. The board sort of took over and had no idea what they were doing and had a succession of inept people running the place...

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Oblivion has been getting some reasonably good reviews and opens tomorrow here in the UK. I think I'll go and see it next week, could do with some good sci-fi, the last time I went to the cinema was... jeezus, six months ago! Skyfall.

Raise your hand if you've ever gotten a bikini wax. [cue droogs checking to see what website they're on] :3dglasses:
Now raise your hand if you've ever gotten a bikini wax simply because you thought that's what guys wanted.
If you've got that hand in the air, we've got some good news: That guy might not care as much about your bikini line as you thought. Or he does care, but a full-on Brazilian wax might not be necessary. A new study commissioned by hair removal company Nad's surveyed 1,000 men and found that their most preferred "look" was not a Brazilian, but rather "'trimmed and tidy' –- a well kept 'lady garden.'"
43 percent of men polled said they preferred women's hair natural with a "Bermuda triangle" (i.e. trimmed hair and waxed sides). 17 percent said they like a "landing strip," 15 percent dig a heart shape, and only 12 percent said they prefer a full-on Brazilian (no hair at all).

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/04/08/mens-bikini-wax-preference_n_3039467.html?utm_hp_ref=mostpopular
"a well kept lady garden" :lol: Love it!

Also on the news, ex-Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher has died.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Mike, my next door neighbor keeps her garden nice and tidy, mine is a mess. I should take up gardening in me old age. :)

Btw do Americans use the word 'garden'? Or is it the 'backyard'?

Regarding Thatcher, lots of mourning and also lots of partying, it was a divided nation, and still is. The Wizard of Oz song "Ding Dong the Witch is Dead" has gone straight to the top of the charts here in merry old England, I'm not making this up. It's a land of mad, eccentric people. The country produced Russell Brand... nuff said.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
To describe the space behind one's home...back yard.

To describe the part of that space that contains vegetation (flowers or vegetables)...garden.

My wife just received correspondence from one of her online pals across the pond who was going on about "redundancy." Something along the lines of what plans she and her husband were making now that he's reached redundancy. At first we thought it meant "retirement." But now it seems as if it's got something to do with being "let go" from one's employment and maybe there's severence pay involved???

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
"Ding Dong" reaching the top of the charts post-Thatcher? That's just harsh.

I laughed at your Russell Brand line.

Anyone who lets this get away cannot be all that bright:

Katy_Perry_08.jpg

katy_perry_bikini.jpg

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Nice pic. tsk tsk Brand had her in his hands and let her slip away, the fool!

Redundancy is when you've lost your job, let go whatever, and may be qualified for redundancy pay.

That Wizard of Oz song started its climb to no.1 after The Iron lady died, there is a lot of hatred here for Thatcher, many MP's didn't turn up at Parliament yesterday to pay respects. I wasn't a fan but I believe in respecting the dead. Actress Glenda Jackson is an MP, she did turn up and said some nasty things about her, which made the newspapers this morning.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.