What's new

Terry Gilliam's Adventures of Baron Munchausen 2-disc SE - 04/088 (1 Viewer)

Dave Simkiss

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dave Simkiss
Hahaha :D
Trust me, we feel your pain sometimes. Case in point... BSG season 3 R2 - wheres our extras!!!! :frowning:

This R2 Munchausen is being released by Sony...? I thought this was a universal title?

JeffO

Stunt Coordinator
JoshEH and DaveF,

I'm happy that the fans are getting a movie they really enjoy, but this is maybe more of a discussion why this movie isn't more popular or in the public eye as much, then and now.

I think this is a movie you love or hate. I saw this movie about three years ago for the first time after two friends raved how it is the funniest movie they ever saw. I'll just say I consider this movie the worst movie I've ever seen. I then gave it to my dad, and he loathed it, and then I recommended to a real film buff, who goes to the movies once or twice a week, and she only watched it half way, and she says it is the worst movie she ever saw.

So five viewers, with two giving it 5/5 stars and three giving it 0/5 stars. No one considered it okay or anything like that. People either love it or hate it, the feelings are that strong. Just as my friends tell everyone they know to see it, I tell anyone I know to only see it if I want them to see something to hate. I have to think many other people are like that, and sometimes negative word of mouth is more powerful than positive word of mouth.

Again, I don't want to insult anyone's choice in movies. I'm sure there are things I like which others consider detritus. I'm happy for the fans that they are getting what they want. The more movies and shows released to dvd, the better for all fans. Just my two cents why this movie isn't considered an all time classic by more people in general.

Frank@N

Screenwriter
I think that many Gilliam films fall into 'love it or hate it' mode even for fans.

I really like most of his stuff, but I still found Brazil to be amateurish and annoying.

I've never seen Baron, but will pick it up when the price is right and look forward to seeing it.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
$14.95 ($19.95 on Blu-Ray) is a pretty good price-point for the treatment this film's getting, wouldn't everyone agree? :emoji_thumbsup:

Wish they'd blown that cover up a bit more during the voting period -- I like it slightly better, now that I can make out more of the details.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Gilliam films should all be watched 3 times each before declaring them "not your cup of tea". Except for Fisher King I"ve never liked a Gilliam film first time out. EVen Time Bandits, which is proudly on my Top 10 all time Favs list. I can't explain it well, its just a fact with me. And I've read other options of the same.

Funny, I hated Brother's Grimm with a passion when I saw it at the movies. But somehow I knew my history buff mother would like it. Not sure how...hell, the woman loves kittens, and there's that scene. ;) But I bought it for her and she made it a point to tell me how much she loved it. I found a new copy for 5 bucks on ebay (a third of what I paid for mom's) and bought it for myself. I liked it much much better at home. I could really like the think in due time.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I'll be getting that nex gen version once I get a player. The price point is just fine with me.

The cover looks just like a book of adventure stories. I hope it's embosed (if that's the correct word....how about "bumpy"!). If you love Mark Twain stuff this film might be your bag. Period.

Frank@N

Screenwriter
I'll agree that Gilliam films are more challenging than most to evaluate, but ultimately a movie has to connect with you at some point during it's two-hour run.

I don't make a habit of revisiting movies I didn't like the first time (the exception being weak movies in a good series like Star Trek or Matrix).

When I saw 'Fear and Loathing' for the first time I didn't 'get' the first hour, but by the end I knew I was keeping the DVD and would watch it over again later knowing it was a good movie.

I was disappointed with 'Brothers Grimm' after my first viewing, but there was just enough decent stuff in it to justify keeping the DVD (but I haven't watched again since it came out).

Very few directors make great movies everytime.

JulianK

Supporting Actor

Conversely I hated The Fisher King the first time I saw it, and thought it was one of the most depressing films I'd ever seen.

I was wrong, of course. :D

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Heh heh!

Well, I can see that. The radio stuff grabbed me. But the part with Williams near the beginning..I'd never heard of people doing that to homeless people. It horrified (and depressed) me.

Mikael Soderholm

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mikael Söderholm
Yes you were, the most depressing film is Tideland, and this is coming from a Gillaim fan. There were parts of that movie that made me almost physically ill. Still, it also had moments of beauty, and, since it is a Gilliam movie, I kept it, but I think it will be a long time before I feel the need to revisit it.

Sorry for the OT, now back to the regular program.

I really like the new cover, and Munchausen is one of my favorite Gilliams (along with Brazil, Fisher King, 12 Monkeys, actually almost all of them ;)), I even liked it the first time I saw it, which was in a theater, guess that shows my age :)!

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
The movie has some very scrumptious and nuanced color details, which I hope SONY take the care to get right. Heresy, I know-but I thought their LD looked better-colorwise- than the Criterion. The last dvd was meh

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks