What's new

Terra Nova: season 1 thread (1 Viewer)

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
The episode is also re-airing on Saturday night if you want all the commercials. :D

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
Eric thanks for the heads up on the free download. I forgot to set the dvr so it was nice to be able to simply download it and watch it commercial free. I was expecting the worse and came away pleasantly optimistic about the future episodes. I’m glad they explained that they really did not have any control over where the portal would dump you back in time since this era is arguably the worst possible one imaginable to send your last hope for continuing the human race. After all you wouldn’t really need to or want to send them to this era since man in not the top of the food chain. Just some random observations I have about the series. They must be capable of communicating back with the future or the future would not continue to send people through. They can send ground transports through or they built them there but no one has thought about flying machines? Seems like a helicopter or some sort of flying machine would make life a hell of a lot better. The future earth is dying yet there certainly seemed to be a heck of a lot of building going on. Did you see all the building cranes in the establishing shots? Also there seemed to be a lot of smoke stacks going in the future. There aren’t that many in large cities now so why would there be so many in the future? One last thing, I certainly hope that the 6ers do not end up being the noble ones in is series. That would be just a tired over used cliché.

Garrett Adams

Supporting Actor
Originally Posted by OzzieP
The Dino's where living on earth way way longer than humans have, so going back to the beginning of the dinosaur age gives them millions and millions of years before the killer asteroid arrives. Plus with a dying earth and this being the only portal in time, they did not have much of a choice.

They went back only 85 million years (Cretaceous period), which was late in the age of dinosaurs. The mass extinction event 65 million years ago means they will have 20 million years to prepare. Of course, being human, they'll wait until the last moment.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
I found it pretty cheesy...but mildly entertaining. I'll stick with it for now.

Didn't like the opening sequence at all...glad it was over quick. Seems like they must have thrown that together last minute. Maybe initially they weren't gonna show in detail how they got there.

So is it realistic to think they got together all the resources and infrastructure to make all that advanced technology work in just 7 years?

Originally Posted by Garrett Adams /t/304951/terra-nova-series-premiere-9-26-2011#post_3854955

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
ScottH said:
I found it pretty cheesy...but mildly entertaining.  I'll stick with it for now.

Didn't like the opening sequence at all...glad it was over quick.  Seems like they must have thrown that together last minute.  Maybe initially they weren't gonna show in detail how they got there.
I don't know the exact details, but the original cut apparently threw the audience right into it and unfurled the exposition as the two hours went on. Most of the critics that have seen both cuts of the pilot vastly preferred the earlier, less dumbed down cut of the pilot. Test audiences strongly preferred the version that aired.
So is it realistic to think they got together all the resources and infrastructure to make all that advanced technology work in just 7 years?
My understanding is that that supplies and technology were sent through the portal just like the settlers, on a somewhat regular basis. There was at least one windmill within the perimeter, so they have a source of electricity. The vehicles were probably sent through in pieces and reassembled in Terra Nova. If they're ever cut off from the time fracture, things will like regress in a big old hurry.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
You can tell the show has had a lot of cooks in the kitchen. A lot of different shifts and tone and neatly places things, like Dinosaurs to appeal to a particular demographic. What is this story trying to tell the audience? Why are we there? There wasn't anything of interest to hold me past the pilot. I smell Brannon Braga all over this show.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I was actually kind of surprised they didn't have better infrastructure. 7 years is frankly a long damn time to start from scratch with the right help. Even the settlers initially built rudimentary cities in a year.. and those were out of wagons. Meanwhile, here an advanced culture can send back whatever equipment they need, all they have to do is erect it.

Originally Posted by ScottH

/t/304951/terra-nova-series-premiere-9-26-2011#post_3855021

Joe_H

Screenwriter
From http://www.hitfix.com/blogs/whats-alan-watching/posts/review-foxs-terra-nova-has-impressive-spectacle-but-family-drama-lacking
(The first version of the pilot I saw made Zoe's existence into a very effective surprise at the end of a tense action sequence, but the writers went back and piled a bunch of clumsy expository scenes in front of that. Whatever the episode gains in clarity - which is less than I think it needed - it loses far more in entertainment.) ... That earlier version of the show I saw featured a more fractured Shannon marriage, in which Jim and Elisabeth had gone to Terra Nova in part to get a fresh start for their troubled union. They're all lovey-dovey now, and while I understand the producers' desire to give viewers a happy family to root for, nothing interesting has been added in place of the earlier tension.
Weren't they also having a ton of trouble with the special effects too?

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member
Sometimes, knowing too much about what goes on behind the curtain of a show is a hindrance to enjoying it. I thought the Pilot was fine and I don't see removing my "season pass" anytime soon.

Jeremiah

Screenwriter
I kind of like the show but at the same time it can be pretty lame. The two biggest "lol really" moments was asking if they made the right decision going to Terra Nova and the kids vs Slashers battle, both were stupid. The show builds up the slashers into killers and they kill the 6er instantly, then the next only wounds his leg(how he got away with a torn up leg is baffling), a girl just gets beat up by them, and another gets dragged oiut by the leg and the Slasher only knwas on it and the kid leaves with a limp. Why must movies and TV have stupid scenes like this? That is the best they can come up with?

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
It's a good thing Josh is dumb so his sister can explain all the back story to the fracture. :D

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
Well, it's the pilot. I was expecting some clumsy exposition. Now they have that out of the way. The teen girl who panicked and ran only to survive a direct slasher attack was just dumb. There's no good reason for her to have survived that. I guess it's a family show so we can't show kids getting killed. A shame, if so - but if that's the case, they shouldn't put them in certain death situations and then not have a logical way out of it.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
This show was so smart to cast Stephen Lang and Jason O'Mara as the male leads. The writing is as antiseptic and nicey-nicey as anything on "Enterprise" or any of the later Braga "Trek"s, but their inherent grit and roguish charm imbues the show with more testosterone than the show has any right to. Loved the way Shannon charmingly intimidated Bill Nye the Science Guy there.

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
Thousands of pterosaurs attack the camp and nobody was killed except the three redshirts at the beginning? Hmm. This show is going to be less interesting if it's just the crisis-of-the-week, neatly wrapped up by the end stories. From the previews, next week looks to be more of the same. For the budget and resources put into this, the show should be a whole lot better.

PatW

Screenwriter
Real Name
Patricia
Greg Kettell said:
For the budget and resources put into this, the show should be a whole lot better.
I agree. I found the pilot interesting but this past episode such a disappointment to the extent that I'll probably be bailing soon. I'll give it a couple more episodes to re-capture my interest.

Steve Berger

Supporting Actor
Greg Kettell said:
Thousands of pterosaurs attack the camp and nobody was killed except the three redshirts at the beginning? Hmm. This show is going to be less interesting if it's just the crisis-of-the-week, neatly wrapped up by the end stories. From the previews, next week looks to be more of the same. For the budget and resources put into this, the show should be a whole lot better.
At 8/7C PM, you are not going to get "edgy". You get family fare.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
Originally Posted by Steve Berger

At 8/7C PM, you are not going to get "edgy". You get family fare.

Yeah as soon as I saw the show would be airing at 8/7 I was worried. Will this be it's permanent time slot?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks