What's new

Terminator 3: What's the current scoop? (1 Viewer)

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
3. No inspiration. 'T2' was an inspired sequel, the story had a lot of areas that could still be explored, and a sequel felt very necessary.

As much as I love T2, I must disagree with this statement. T2 was basically just a big budget remake of "Terminator", with Arnold as the good guy. It was pretty much the same story and not much more was revealed about the future war than we already knew.

If T3 will be a success, commercially and artistically, I think they HAVE to set it in the future, at least for the majority of the movie. I think they have some good things to build on if they use the parts of the T2 script that never made it into the movie (as shown on the DVD).

/Mike

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
If T3 is about the war with the machines, Sarah Connor will already be dead (i.e. no Linda Hamilton). As for the future technology, what if Cyberdyne had offsite tape backups? (most companies with important info do this). Even though the building was trashed, the research would still be intact...

Greg

Roby Adams

Stunt Coordinator
As much as I love T2, I must disagree with this statement. T2 was basically just a big budget remake of "Terminator", with Arnold as the good guy. It was pretty much the same story and not much more was revealed about the future war than we already knew.

Um, excuse me? No, I must disagree. T2 was completely original. Everything about it was new.

What was the same?

Sarah Connor was a completly different person. There is the added dynamic of her son and who and what he will and MUST become. The TWO terminators. The subplot about Dyson and the PREVENTION of the war with machines. Nothing about it was a remake. The story and character dynamics were brand new. The only thing the SAME was the basic backstory about what happens in the future.

Terminator 2, while not perfect, was and is an original.

Added personal note:

I don't think that Terminator 3 can really be anywhere near as good as the previous two without Cameron writing and directing.

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
T2 was completely original. Everything about it was new.

What was the same?

Terminator:

An (almost) unstoppable killing machine is sent from the future to kill the mother of the future leader of the human resistance. He takes his clothes from the first person he sees, and goes looking for the mother. Meanwhile, the resistance sends a person to find the mother and stop the Terminator. The protector falls in love with the mother, and together they manage to destroy the Terminator.

Terminator 2:

An (almost) unstoppable killing machine is sent from the future to kill the future leader of the human resistance. He takes his clothes from the first person he sees, and goes looking for the boy. Meanwhile, the resistance sends a "good" Terminator to find the boy and stop the "bad" Terminator. The protector finds the boy, they get the mother, they bond, and they manage to not only destroy the bad Terminator, but also Cyberdyne systems.

Yes, there is more backstory involved in T2, and the whole thing with Cyberdyne systems isn't touched upon much in Terminator, but it is essentially the same story... it's not a note-for-note remake, but the structure is almost exactly the same... IMO. I still think it's a great movie though.

I'm looking forward to T3, especially after reading the stuff that was cut from T2.

/Mike

Bhagi Katbamna

Supporting Actor
I think I may have to agree with Dan here. It's unfortunate that Hollywood has to be filled with a bunch of uptight pansy squares that are afraid of offending someone!!
This(the pansiness--if that is a word) is much more prevelant than just Hollywood. One Maryland county has passed an ordinance that levels fines on people that smoke in their own homes if it offends neigbors. What is next?
Here is the link if you are interested:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...2001Nov20.html

HenrikTull

Second Unit
Arnie's arm was crushed in the gears in T2 and ripped off. I'll have to agree and say that I don't relish the idea of a T3, especially without the Linda Hamilton as Sarah Conner, but who knows? Maybe we'll all be surprised.
But wouldn't that arm be erased since all the Terminator's and chips were destroyed in the end? Hmmm...but wouldn't that also mean that John Connor would also be gone?

Oh, I've gone cross-eyes again...

Current status:
- The plan is to begin shooting the sequel in April in Los Angeles and film for eight weeks and then the production will go to Vancouver, Canada to film for 14 weeks.
- Releasedate: July 4th, 2003
Latest news: Link Removed

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
the structure is almost exactly the same
But the underlying theme of the film is quite different. T1 used a generalized theme of technology getting out of hand and biting us in our collective asses, and in general, Tech=bad.

T2 had a much more mature line of thought in that technology is neither intrinsically good nor bad. Rather, it is how we use these powerful tools & machines that defines us.

-Dave

Tom-G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
It looks as if there are some good ideas for T3, but without James Cameron, it's not going to be as good. The producers must get a good director and Mostow is not the one.
I'm ambivalent. I love both Terminator movies and part of me wants to see a third film, but there is another part of me that says just leave well-enough alone.

Elbert Lee

Supporting Actor
I think that they should go entirely in a new direction with T3. The central storyline whould focus on more intelligent sci-fi with some philisophical themes other than a pure "hunt, kill, protect" action movie. Why not have a twist ending or something more profound on the future of humanity ("a la Matrix")? I'm not saying that T3 should be a rip off of some of the more recent sci fi or thrillers, but should be more daring without sacrificing some of the cool action that made the first films so successful.

Elbert

EricW

Senior HTF Member
if Cameron's not involved, the action sequences might not be as good, but at least the movie's dialogue will won't make you cringe...

Three rumored candidates for the recast role of John Connor.
- Chris Klein (Rollerball)
- Scott Speedman (Dark Blue)
- Shane West (Dracula 2000)
Source: Link Removed

Tom-G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
I think that they should go entirely in a new direction with T3. The central storyline whould focus on more intelligent sci-fi with some philisophical themes other than a pure "hunt, kill, protect" action movie.
Elbert, I would love to see that happen so I agree with you completely. The only problem is if the story is written as such, I doubt it will have enough mainstream appeal to make a profit on that ridiculous budget of 170 million dollars. My fear is that with a budget that high, the movie is going to be really dumbed down.

Micheal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
I know that we've all heard that there will be a female (villian) Terminator but what I didn't know was that Arnold will play a Terminator that is both a Villian and a Hero.

He will be playing one Terminator that will switch from evil to good and from good to evil throughout the entire film. He descibed it as a schizophrenic Terminator during an access Holywood interview.

This is news to me? Anyone else see the interview or have any comments?

(he also mentioned that the mission would be to save the kid again but I'm not sure how old he will be...)

KeithAP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Keith
Yes, Micheal it is true.

Arnold was on TV yesterday talking about T3 and True Lies 2.

From what he said, it sounded like his terminator character can be controlled by the evil female terminator. The interviewer said something like "So your character will have a split personality, bad and good?" to which Arnold replied yes.

Also, he said the script for True Lies 2 was about finished.

-Keith

Andrew_Sch

Senior HTF Member
Cameron REALLY needs to get off his ass and direct this. But since that ain't happening, I'd be happy with Ridley Scott and only Ridley Scott. He's on a hot streak now with Gladiator and Black Hawk Down and I think that his style would be a good match for the Terminator series. However, if the rumors about Vin Diesel are true then I'd see it even if a monkey directed it :)

Scott McGillivray

Supporting Actor
I think James Cameron is busy directing a documentary about the German WWII battleship "The Bismark" He has recruited some Canadian historians to help out. Seems like James is really hung up on big boats/ships! Personally, I am really looking forward to his work on the Bismark, but I hope he comes back to the mainstream cinema.

If we are tallying votes, I don't expect much of T3. The first was a classic, the second had a bad story but ground-breaking effects. What can a third come up with? Lets hope we are all pleasantly surprised.

The latest hot-news from T3:
Linda Hamilton might be in it after all...
Spoilers ahead!
Schwarzenegger mentioned that Linda Hamilton will be appearing in the third installment but "as flash backs...Let's just assume that she died already and he (John Connor) is on his own rather than his mother whining way (Laughing) They felt like you know John Connor is 22-23 years old his mother died and his is alone and lets move on."

Source: Link Removed

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks