What's new

TENACIOUS D who are they and whats their story. (1 Viewer)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i saw them on tv recently then again on letterman the other night now i hera their just released album may be recalled.
so what's their story?
------------------
"who needs padding when you can have quality over quantity? more isn't always better." just my 2 cents on post count padders.-----

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
Semi-related: Dark Horizons confirmed with Troy Miller (director of Run Ronnie Run) that Mr. Show will be on DVD in March 2002.
------------------
These chicks know how to party! - MoJo JoJo

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i have seen jack black in some movies and cant wait to see shallow hal as i love the farrelly bros.
ten d will be in philly in oct i was thinking of going what type of audience and show should i expect to see.
i'm a middle to late 30's guy so i don't know if my wife and i are up to a wild out of control type of young crowd.

Ike

Screenwriter
You can't judge them off of network appearances. So much of their satire (or spoof) relies on cursing, and heavy sexual innuendo, that it can't make it on to network. Just take a look at the track listing for their album, so they are stuck doing a song like Dio, which isn't that great.
When they did Letterman, they did their second most tame song, "Tribute" and it still had a good 2 or 3 F bomb bleeps, but it was a brilliant performance.
They are very talented (We're classically trained to rock your fucking socks off!), and do songs that parody rock stars-they are into satan, and they are constantly talking about how they are going to have groupies.
But what sets them apart, is the gleeful nature of their songs, and played with surprising vigor. Rock Your Socks Off, sans the monologue in the middle of the song, really could be a song done by some Top 40 Rock Group.
Will they be around? Of course not. They aren't like Weird Al Yankovich because they don't spoof actual songs, and they don't sanitize themselves and rely on puns. I'm surprised it's gotten this far. But to have something like Tenacious D on the same label as Mandy Moore maybe the ultimate joke.

Stefan A

Second Unit
I am not a big fan of theirs, but my wife is. I have heard the whole album though - and it is kind of funny. Much of it is cursing and sex. It is definitely more comedy than music, but some of the music is memorable. I will be seeing them live in a few weeks - thanks to my wife.
------------------
Stefan Antwarg
My DVD Collection
The Regal Brass Quintet Not HT related

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
has anyone seen this yet? pretty funny but rated R.
------------------

Mitty

Supporting Actor
I picked up this album as a complete impulse purchase (I've had an HMV gift certificate burning a hole in my pocket for 3 months).
I listened to it driving to work and track 9 (the one about "Inward Singing") made me almost lose control of the vehicle I was laughing so hard. "Rock singers are only rockin' us half the time!"
If Jack Black weren't a minor celebrity, I think Tenacious D would just be a touring comedy troupe, playing small clubs and colleges (maybe that's what they were before; I know they've been around for a little while).
Oh well, it's entertaining while it lasts.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks