TEMPEST IN A TEAPOT OR TITUS (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
tele1962 said:
Arrow Video here in the UK recently did a couple of Limited editions for £12.99 each including a full set of extras, booklet etc. I can not see for the life off me why TT has to charge these ridiculously high prices for what after all are bear bones releases.
Your rather inflammatory remarks about very knowledgeable and respected members of the Forum you mention does nothing to bolster your opinion but merely goes with the territory from what I have observed with some supporters of TT. I am more than positive no one at TT would welcome such remarks.
Me I will purchase what I want when I want ( if I have the funds) and I am sure the Guys on Roobarbs will also, but they are entitled to voice their opinion the same as anyone else.
But it's perfectly fine for all those "knowledgeable and respected" members to offer their negativity over and over and over again, right? I get it. That's not inflammatory at all. It's been shown here on a perfectly readable chart just how "bear" (sic) bones their releases are - not at all. At the beginning, yes. Now, hardly. Why don't you take a look at the chart provided and then comment again about "bear" bones releases. Unless you meant that they're a BAD company because they don't include the bones of a bear with their titles. That IS cause for concern, I admit it :)

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
ROclockCK said:
Well congratulations, you broke ole ROCK!

After two and a half years of listening to countless posters (mostly elsewhere, now suddenly here it seems) trot out the same tired phases "barebones" and "no frills" when dismissing the Special Features on TT's releases, I just couldn't stand it any longer. It was either get to work, or get drunk. I chose the former, but think I now need the latter.

So here are the facts regarding TT's [sic] "barebones", "no frills" discs, charted year by year, relative to their total number of releases (compare sub-title vs. left hand column):

ue5n.jpg

Yeah, pretty thin on features outside of TT's customarily sweet lossless Isolated Scores. Most of these were DVDs anyway. Besides, ya gotta start somewhere...even Criterion with its whopping expensive 'barebones' Laserdiscs. Uhm...jus sayin.

szdm.jpg

Already benefitting from a few sellout successes, it's clearly going right back into the product. Gaining more studio trust, and able to include more features. Gaining more visibility and traction too. So what's next?

xzc3.jpg

Whoa! Who let the dogs out? This stuff is "barebones"? "No frills"? I still haven't watched all of these discs with their commentaries. And as we head into the new year...

q3vc.jpg

In just the first two months of 2014, TT has already exceeded its entire special feature content offered in 2011. And if you don't count the ISTs , then 2014 is already equalling all of 2012 too.

NOTE: Not charted because a 5th column would have topped out on every diagram: the wonderful savvy and sassy insert essays by Julie Kirgo. Every TT release...every month...year in...and year out. One of the best film scribes I've ever had the pleasure to read - and always read - before the disc even goes into my machine.
So that tele1962 can't say he hasn't seen it - here it is.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
This is like the Warner Archive debates of 09-10. And the conclusion is the same: buy, don't buy, the discs are out there.

Sgt Pepper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Barry
haineshisway said:
But it's perfectly fine for all those "knowledgeable and respected" members to offer their negativity over and over and over again, right? I get it. That's not inflammatory at all. It's been shown here on a perfectly readable chart just how "bear" (sic) bones their releases are - not at all. At the beginning, yes. Now, hardly. Why don't you take a look at the chart provided and then comment again about "bear" bones releases. Unless you meant that they're a BAD company because they don't include the bones of a bear with their titles. That IS cause for concern, I admit it :)
Surely you are not agreeing with the statements " Peasants" & " Losers " .

Further more regarding bear bones release's yes they have been and compared to others still are. Why no restoration, for the price this is at the very least what I would expect.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
tele1962 said:
Surely you are not agreeing with the statements " Peasants" & " Losers " .

Further more regarding bear bones release's yes they have been and compared to others still are. Why no restoration, for the price this is at the very least what I would expect.
I'm not going to have this conversation because you know very well what you're doing. Every Sony title has had the Grover Crisp treatment - so that right there puts an end to your rather general statement. The upcoming Blue Max release is spectacular and a brand new scan of that film. Many of their recent releases have more extras than even I care about and the proof is in the chart above this post, which you are willfully ignoring. I have never visited the forum in question and I have no intention of doing so - but if they're like others I have visited, "peasants" and "losers" are mild epithets compared to the nasty, snide and vile, and most importantly, personal comments lobbed at the owners of Twilight Time. You know it to be so and so there's nothing else to discuss. It's all here in this thread and many others and it's grown tiresome. How many people have to say it: Don't like it? Don't buy it? The End. Pretty simple and seems to me beyond that there's nothing to say and yet...

But just to make it clear - I personally called no one a peasant or a loser and said nothing about such words.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Bob Cashill said:
This is like the Warner Archive debates of 09-10. And the conclusion is the same: buy, don't buy, the discs are out there.
And it's the same five people doing it over and over again. It's not going to change - it's too much fun for them :)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Okay....

I am receiving too many complaints about this thread.

I think points have been made from both sides.

Let's just put it to a rest now. Obviously, this thread is turning away more readers
than keeping them interested.

Put it to rest.

Sgt Pepper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Barry
haineshisway said:
I'm not going to have this conversation because you know very well what you're doing. Every Sony title has had the Grover Crisp treatment - so that right there puts an end to your rather general statement. I have never visited the forum in question and I have no intention of doing so - but if they're like others I have visited, "peasants" and "losers" are mild epithets compared to the nasty, snide and vile, and most importantly, personal comments lobbed at the owners of Twilight Time. You know it to be so and so there's nothing else to discuss. It's all here in this thread and many others and it's grown tiresome. How many people have to say it: Don't like it? Don't buy it? The End. Pretty simple and seems to me beyond that there's nothing to say and yet...
Post removed by me, it serves no purpose..

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Ronald Epstein said:
Okay....

I am receiving too many complaints about this thread.

I think points have been made from both sides.

Let's just put it to a rest now. Obviously, this thread is turning away more readers
than keeping them interested.

Put it to rest.
I don't quite understand the purpose of this thread any longer. It seems like it's only being used to complain about TT's pricing and/or about what other people are saying about TT on other forums.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
I absolutely agree the discussion has run its course and need not be continued. But in all honesty, what is the purpose of any thread but to have a discussion. And that was always the point of this thread. It's not like it was highjacked from some other topic. I don't understand why people who had a problem with the topic or didn't want to read and/or discuss this would come to this thread at all anyway.

A few weeks ago when I complained about the number of numerous unrelated topics that were being highjacked into discussions about the validity of screen caps (and not caps about the movies being discussed, just caps in general), I was told 1) that's what discussion boards were about, and 2) if I didn't like the subject of the threads, not to read them.

As I said, I agree about this topic in general, and will respect owners/mods wishes of course, but am wondering why this thread/topic is so problematic to people.

bluelaughaminute

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ernie
tele1962 said:
Me I will purchase what I want when I want ( if I have the funds) and I am sure the Guys on Roobarbs will also, but they are entitled to voice their opinion the same as anyone else.
Yes but do they really need to do it every month and when every new title gets announced ? That was my point .

bluelaughaminute

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ernie
bruceames said:
Per the OP, the whole purpose seems to be nothing more than a rant thread against the TT "whiners".
After putting up with them for so long I think it was a good idea for someone to let them know it would be better for them to STFU and just bypass any TT related threads to let interested parties get on with it

RobHam

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Rob Hamilton
cocophone said:
As a customer I would appreciate if TT had a webpage for each upcoming title where they discussed the PQ of the transfer, extra features, etc. before the preorder went live on SAE.
(ignoring the cease and desist order above, as this stuff, although stale, does still throw out interesting morsels).

Bruce's "sneak peak" threads appear to be partially fulfilling the pre-preorder info on behalf of TT - I pre-ordered Khartoum on the basis of that initial positive nod from Haineshisway.

What I don't know is whether or not independent opinion has been sacrificed in any way to achieve this - would there be a conflict of interest in a "sneak peak" if TT were about to put out a stinker?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
JohnMor said:
I absolutely agree the discussion has run its course and need not be continued. But in all honesty, what is the purpose of any thread but to have a discussion. And that was always the point of this thread. It's not like it was highjacked from some other topic. I don't understand why people who had a problem with the topic or didn't want to read and/or discuss this would come to this thread at all anyway.

A few weeks ago when I complained about the number of numerous unrelated topics that were being highjacked into discussions about the validity of screen caps (and not caps about the movies being discussed, just caps in general), I was told 1) that's what discussion boards were about, and 2) if I didn't like the subject of the threads, not to read them.

As I said, I agree about this topic in general, and will respect owners/mods wishes of course, but am wondering why this thread/topic is so problematic to people.
It's just a circular argument that has been rehashed so many times here, you can't even keep count. Most of us here are probably classified by the DOB on our driver's license as mature adults. As such, shouldn't we get tired of the same old arguments with little resolution? We all know that no matter what side of this argument you're on, there is little hope of changing somebody else's mind regarding these issues. Our heels are dug in so deep, you'll need a shovel to extract them.

Anyhow, carry on, if it pleases you. However, if "civil discussion" becomes "civil war" then it becomes our problem to resolve it. And that's a warning to anybody that crosses the line of civility here.

bluelaughaminute

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ernie
Maybe a separate thread to post opinions about TT's business model would enable individual threads about specific titles to stay on topic about disc quality and specs?

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
RobHam said:
(ignoring the cease and desist order above, as this stuff, although stale, does still throw out interesting morsels).

Bruce's "sneak peak" threads appear to be partially fulfilling the pre-preorder info on behalf of TT - I pre-ordered Khartoum on the basis of that initial positive nod from Haineshisway.

What I don't know is whether or not independent opinion has been sacrificed in any way to achieve this - would there be a conflict of interest in a "sneak peak" if TT were about to put out a stinker?
You keep making this implication that I am somehow in the pocket of Twilight Time. You did it a few posts ago - there for all to see, and I responded and told you you were completely incorrect in your "assumptions" and of course you don't respond or even acknowledge that you were wrong. I have stated innumerable times that I call it as I see it and Nick knows and respects that. That's why I said I prefer the color of the UK Zulu to the Twilight Time release (although preferring the sound of the Twilight Time release). Sound like a sacrifice to you? Doesn't to me and didn't to Nick. I also gave the color edge to the UK The Fury. If there's a stinker you'll hear about it from me. My point was and is Titus is not a stinker, not in my world. I can name any number of real stinkers from any number of labels, some truly reprehensible transfers. And those who've read my little Sneak Peek threads and who've purchased the discs based on them, know if they can trust my judgment and happily most do. And, BTW, as an example, here's my first line from my thoughts about Khartoum: "Khartoum looks very good - I'd have preferred a hair more blue in the blues, but it's nitpicking"

Not an unqualified, drooling "best transfer ever made" is it?

But I want to be clear here: I did not start this thread so that it would become yet another tiresome business model and pricing thread. I started it to let everyone know that the excessive and irrational bitching about Titus was over the top and that I felt most people would be perfectly happy with the transfer and that I didn't see the unmitigated and horrifying disaster that people were saying it was (and most of those people actually hadn't seen it). But, predictably, the thread then devolved into the same old same old, with people from other boards suddenly coming back to do what they do on the other boards. That's what drags threads like this down. No one wanted a Civil War, just interesting discourse on the film and transfer in the thread title. But when people begin the same stuff over and over again it's hard not to get caught up in it because you just don't want that stuff standing without response. My two centimes for whatever they're worth, in the interest of peace and love and harmony for all :)

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Well, for what it's worth, my apologies for helping perpetrate the discussion longer and for any part I played in veering it away from Titus in particular. As I said, I don't think there is anything left to say on either side.

RobHam

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Rob Hamilton
Bruce - no criticism towards yourself was inferred in previous comments. Quite the opposite actually - apologies if its been taken the wrong way.

What this thread shows, beyond the bletherings of the pro and anti Twilight Time cliques, is the need for communication from Twilight Time at the pre-order announcements of exactly what they've got - source, age, condition etc. In effect, this prepares and manages the consumer expectations in advance.

As a sort of final addendum to this thread (from moi), one of the first blu rays I ever bought was the UK released Zulu. At the time, I thought WOW. I watched it again a few nights ago and its anything but wow - the contrast boosting makes it close to unwatchable at times. I think our expectations for what we want from a high def source are changing - becoming much more demanding of transfers. Titus may have just got caught in the crossfire.

Collecting movies appears to be a very emotional process - I still get annoyed every time I see the spine of Von Ryan's Express in my collection.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.