What's new

Tempest HORN LOADED (1 Viewer)

Cam McFarland

Supporting Actor
So, it is not actualy a "horn", the sound just comes out of
an enclosure through an opening that is kind of "horn shaped".....is this more or less correct?

Greg Monfort

Supporting Actor
No, any positive taper (expanding) pipe is by definition a horn, ergo it's a horn since each driver is loaded with one and at some point in the expansion they are combined into one large one, and due to it sitting on the floor it's effective acoustic length is ~doubled, so it goes lower than the pathlength/mouth area alone predicts.

WRT designing a horn, it's nothing more than a bandpass cab with a long flared vent, and about as hard to design, though most folks seem to think otherwise.

GM

Scott Simonian

Screenwriter

Cam, look at the cavity where the woofers fire into. At the end of the cavity you can see where the air will be compressed and start the horn flare. (The space between the front of the woofer and the skinniest taper makeup an acoustic high-pass filter.) From the smallest taper to the exit of the cabinet is the flare of the horn.

I think you may have been confused by Greg's mentioning of a pipe. While many horn-loaded projects have a round shape to them the majority are usually folded horn setups like the one posted by Adire here.

A horn does not need to be pipe-shaped to function like a compression horn.

Rory Buszka

Supporting Actor
The Wicked One horn is just less ideal for its bandwidth so it functions primarily as a bandpass and not quite so much as a horn.

Scott Simonian

Screenwriter
Sorry. The Wicked One may have been a bad example. I just thought the picture would be a clear example of a folded horn.

Greg Monfort

Supporting Actor
Why....& why mention "pipes" if there is not one in the enclosure??

after all, this was my statement....

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So, it is not actualy a "horn", the sound just comes out of an enclosure through an opening that is kind of "horn shaped
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Why? Because I made the mistake of trying to answer your Qs as best I could, and I already responded to your statement/Q so I miss your point of reminding us of what you posted. Regardless, you've convinced me that you're more interested in 'mud wrestling' than learning about horns so we're done.

GM

Cam McFarland

Supporting Actor
Sorry guys, you all got me wrong.....no wrestling here.
JUst an honest question about something I know nothing about.

You fellas have to realize that sometimes your answers are
in such technical terms that us idiots have more trouble
understanding them than what caused the original
question..... :b

Anybody still care to answer my ORIGINAL question with a
"yes or no" answer?

Thanks,

- Cam

DanWiggins

Second Unit
It's a horn. The driver fires into a small aperture that flares out to a larger aperture. You get an acoustic gain over a ~2 octave bandwidth, and controlled dispersion. It's a horn (that is, the Tempest Bass Horn enclosure).

Dan Wiggins
Adire Audio

Greg Monfort

Supporting Actor
Quote order rearranged for clarity:

First off, this isn't your Q, it's your erroneous statement of fact. This is your Q: ".....is this more or less correct?", and as I previously noted, I've already answered it. Go back to my original response (post #23), review the first word of it and tell me what part of "N" and "O" you don't understand and/or how it fails to explicitly answer your Q.

GM

Cam McFarland

Supporting Actor
Greg....in post #25, you state there is not a pipe in the enclosure...correct?

In post #34, you again talk about pipes, & that it is not due to a "horn shape" exiting the enclosure.

I am an idiot, and am clueless still as to why then it is called "horn loaded"!!

As far as getting "in your face" it is to make sure I understand your answers, not to be rude....sorry

My apologies to all if I am not seeing the forrest for the trees, but these answers are confusing to me & I guess that is due to the fact I know nothing about this stuff but am
honestly attempting to learn from you all.

Thanks.....Cam

Charlie C

Stunt Coordinator
Cam, a horn is a tapered pipe. most likely an exponential taper instead of a straight taper.

but basically, a horn is a pipe. not all pipes are horns, but all horns are pipes.

'So, it is not actualy a "horn", the sound just comes out of an enclosure through an opening that is kind of "horn shaped'

well if it smells like one and looks like one. Cam, what would be the difference between a horn and something that it horned shaped. in escence, they are both horns.

Cam McFarland

Supporting Actor

Thank you Charlie,
That is what I was trying to figure out, there actually IS a pipe in the enclosure....that is what I wanted to know.

I just did not see one in the picture I was provided with to show me a "horn loaded" driver.
I presume people should be able to understand my confusion.

Thanks to all......Cam

PS: anyone got a better picture of a "horn loaded" driver that actually shows the pipe???

Cam McFarland

Supporting Actor
Greg,

I am sorry.....I know how frustrating it gets trying to explain something to an individual that just does not get
something that seems SO SIMPLE to oneself.

- Cam

Charlie C

Stunt Coordinator
'anyone got a better picture of a "horn loaded" driver that actually shows the pipe'

cam, you still arent getting it. the horn IS the pipe. Even the very wide horns say of the REF klipsh, is a pipe.

'I just did not see one in the picture I was provided with to show me a "horn loaded" driver'

the pic above, is a double pipe. the empty enclosed space from the small opening to the large opening IS the pipe. its just 'horn shaped' so we call it a horn instead.

Brian Tatnall

Stunt Coordinator
There is no pipe inside the enclosure. The term pipe in this context does not always refer to a cylindrical shape, thus the enclosure is a pipe. Since the pipe is tapered it is called a horn.

A box with six sides where one side has a larger opening and the opposing side has a smaller opening (where the drive is loaded) will result in a horn loaded box. You find this happening.

Look here and read carefully because there is LOTS of horn information: http://melhuish.org/audio/horn.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks