What's new

Tempest EBS very bad bass? (1 Viewer)

Riku

Auditioning
I've built a Tempest EBS design, I've built many boxes before and I know my business with subwoofers & enclosures. However I'm not getting virtually no output of this combination, could I have an air leak somewhere? That's the only thing I can think of since everyone's praised the driver and the EBS design. Previously I had a closed Shiva and it performed million times better than this Tempest EBS.

Pete Mazz

Supporting Actor
I always double check the stupid stuff first, speaking from personal experience, doing stupid stuff all the time :)
It sounds like you've got the voice coils wired wrong. If they're wired in opposite polarity, you would get the problem you speak of.
Pete

Riku

Auditioning
Nope that's not it. My vents are made of many pipes so I suspect I have a leak in the joints, I'll see about that tomorrow when I've sealed every joint in every possible vent and place ;)

Ruben Zamora

Stunt Coordinator
push the speaker in and out with your hands and see if you feel air coming out in any of the seems etc.

Riku

Auditioning
That's hard to say because my vents are _huge_ so there's not much of air coming out of them anyway.

Brian Steeves

Second Unit
Have you measured with an SPL meter?

I built a 300l EBS Tempest tuned to 18hz and it was very clean bass. Almost seemed as if it wasn't playing until a real low note was called for and even then it didn't seem to eminate from the enclosure. It was crossed over @ 80hz.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Hook up just one of the voice coils to the amp and play it (for each voice coil). If you get no output for one of the voice coils, then you might have a open circut somewhere in the wiring.

Have you tested the driver in free air? That's another test on whether it's your driver or the enclosure.

Riku

Auditioning
My driver's fine, I've tested it before in free air. I don't think it's because "clean bass" because there's virtually no difference when the subwoofer is on or off. Whatever note I'm playing :O. But I will double-check it for airleaks tomorrow.

Vince Bray

Stunt Coordinator
Take a few and double check the electrical connections. Don't take any connection for granted. I spent a bummer of a day last year trying to figure out why the sub wouldn't output when the speaker cable was just barely clamped too far into the terminal and grabbing the wire jacket. I would also immediately try hooking up a 'regular' speaker cabinet, known to work, and make sure you get sound. I know this sounds dumb, but it sounds like something's just not making a connection.

Vince

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sharel
Recent bookmarks