What's new

Tempest Box Plans...PICS!! (1 Viewer)

Angelo_Petralba

Second Unit
Real Name
Angelo
Hello-

My Co-worker wants me to build him a Subwoofer based on the Tempest and he sent me the following picture of his Entertainment Center.

He would like to utilize the empty space under the TV and use it as a sub enclosure. SEE PIC!

Will this configuration damage the TV in anyway? It's a Samsung 61" DLP BTW.

Will I be able to build a Tempest Sub based on Adire's plans (Roughly 210 Liters tuned to about 15Hz)?

Also, he plans on placing the center channel speaker right below the TV centered of course.

Will the Center Channel Suffer/Degrade in SQ with the subwoofer next to it? Or Right behind it?

This is ALL custom made and mostlikely done ONE TIME, so mistakes need to be avoided as much as possible.

COnsidering the the space we have for the subwoofer is 58" Wide x 32" Deep and 19" Tall, will this space work for a ported Tempest?

EDIT: Another Idea was to place the subwoofer BEHIND THE TV as it is about 17" of dead space and about the same height as the TV itself.

Thanks in Advance and sorry for the LOOOOOONG post.

Angelo

GrahamT

Supporting Actor
That will probably work. I dont believe DLPs are susceptible to the magnetic field from the driver, but you should double check.
Having the sub and center channel near each other is no problem.
Where is the Tempest going on the diagram?

Angelo_Petralba

Second Unit
Real Name
Angelo
Graham-

Thanks for the response.

At this time we want to know the BEST place for the sub..either the bottom of the shelf or behind the TV.

Aparently we have enough room for either space.

Angelo

Cam McFarland

Supporting Actor

Putting the sub in the entertainment center is great to keep the room looking good, but the best place for the
sub (probably 95% of the time if not more) would be in the corner of the room.

How far from the corner will it be located
if put where you intend to?

movin to Texas.....:D

Angelo_Petralba

Second Unit
Real Name
Angelo
Cam-

The entertainment center is pretty much Wall to wall..with built in shelves for the gear on both sides.

Yes- Austin is where i'll be by next year.

Angelo:D

Angelo_Petralba

Second Unit
Real Name
Angelo
I have some preliminary measurements..please review and let me know if this will work..

The subwoofer will be placed Under the TV to the right side.

I wanted to get 210 Liters tuned to about 16Hz and I came up with these dimentions.

Box Size will be

33.5 x 18 x 26 (W x H x L) External Dimentions with an internal volume of 7.486 Cubes (212 Liters Total but will be cut down a bit when the ports and bracing are in).

Single 4" Flared port about 14.75" will yield a tuning frequency of right around 16Hz.

SEE PIC!

Is this correct??

can someone PLOT this for me please??

Power will be from the Adire AVA250 Plate amp.

Thanks
Angelo

Michael Hartwig

Stunt Coordinator
The thing I would check out is the vibration of the tempest effecting the tv electronics. The DLP colour wheel maybe effected by the excessive bass vibrations.
Something to checkout before you commit to this plan.

ThomasW

Senior HTF Member
You can plot it yourself and play with variations. Download the Adire LspCAD. It has the Tempest data preloaded.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks