What's new

Television Shows are Great on DVD ! (1 Viewer)

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I've been receiving mostly TV Box sets of late and have to admit I'm addicted to TV on DVD. Just tonight I was transported back to my childhood as I watched the 1st few eps of UFO. Then I was able to watch the beginning of a Legend with the excellent SMALLVILLE disk. Next I caught an Ep of TNG namely the Excellent 3rd Season show "The Defector" , I Popped in the Final episode of MASH's 1st season. I finished the evening off with an episode of SPACE 1999. Geez Who needs Direct TV's Bugged up airwaves?

Soon I'll be able to sample More TNG, More UFO. The Excellent 24 in all's it's Widescreen Glory.. And Finally Babylon 5 in Anamorphic Widescreen and DD 5.1 !

The problem? I still have "A Beautiful Mind" and "The Royal Tenenbaums" on the shelf. Oh to find the time !

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
:D Welcome to the club, Dave!
Congrats on discovering the great thing that is TV-on-DVD. AND on discovering what is, by far, my most favorite episode of TNG. I can quote entire passages from "The Defector". I'll spare you for now, though. ;)
If you want to know more about TV-on-DVD, you know about this place, right?

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
The Defector has always been one of my Favorite TNG eps, along with Darmok, Inner Light,Yesterday's Enterprise, Family and a few others.

CaptDS9E

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joey
Ahhhhh the Defector. A great episode. Actually a lot of good episodes in Season 3. Speaking of which i have 6 left :)

capt

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
TV on DVD is quickly catching up with my film collection. I have a massive list of series over at TV Shows on DVD. Should they all start coming out at once, I'll need to get a second 40 hour job.

Kai Zas

Second Unit
Same here... at the moment I'm struggling to keep up with TNG, X-Files, Farscape, The Soprano's, Oz, Northern Exposer (although that won't be too much of a problem, it seems), Buffy, Simpsons, Family Guy (hoping for more of that on dvd soon),Lexx, Robotech, SouthPark, Queer as Folk (UK), League of Gentlemen, AbFab (one more season to go) and Father Ted.
It's been cutting in to my regular movie buying too, but there's nothing better than watching uninterupted TV like this. Hell, I've even gave up on my cable reception a year ago :)
Plus, it gives me pleasure to see the collection growing. I'm very fond of my X-Files boxes, the way the stack grows each half year. TNG is going to catch up, but there'll be more Trek to collect once I've reeled all those babies in!
TV ON DVD forever!

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
I reallly, realllllly hate how many TV discs are improperly flagged for progressive playback though. :angry:
-Dave

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I don't often use my progressive player for watching tv discs but what's the end result of the improper flagging?

LennyP

Supporting Actor
Out of the 21 different TV series I got, 17 still have on-going releases, so it's a lot of stuff to watch, yet I earn for more. I want Sliders on DVD! :angry: :frowning:
Still, very excited about Babylon 5 and tv series are more dear to me than movies because you get used to characters and you know there is almost always more ahead. It feels like a franchise with 200 sequels, especially something like Stargate SG-1.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
I'm all algow dreaming of the day I'll have the Fraggle Rock series on DVD.

I'm starting my collection of TV shows with M.A.S.H., Simpsons, South Park, Muppet Shows, and I Love Lucy.

I'm really tempted by FarScape!!!

-dave

Kai Zas

Second Unit
Give in to the temptation! Farscape is a marvelous piece of SciFi (but you already know that).

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
Dave, improper flagging Link Removed (part of the excellent progressive player shootout at Link Removed
Some players can adapt to this and auto-switch to video mode, but if you player is flag-based, it's hosed.
-Dave

Larry Gelfand

Premium
Real Name
Larry Gelfand
I wish more of the TV releases would include a "Play All" option in the main menu. It's especially annoying when you're forced to go through multiple menus to play each episode (like Captain Scarlet & UFO S1).

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
I am waiting for V the Final battle, so I will be picking up V the original mini series first. That will me going for a day or two. I want Sliders to come out as well. Classic stuff and can't wait for Blake 7 to come out.
:D

Tony Scello

Second Unit
Mr. Lambert,
Were you able to get any update on Season 2 of All in the Family? I think you mentioned in another thread that you were going to try to get some information from the studio on this. From what I can gather, it is not on the release slate for the rest of this year. This is really disappointing. Did Season 1 sell that poorly? It's not like the studio invested heavily in season one since appearently no restoration work was done and the release was, sadly, lacking any supplemental material. As I've said before, I think this is one of the greatest and most influential TV sit-coms every produced but I'm starting to believe fans of the show have been or will be getting shafted by the studio:frowning:

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
It's beginning to look like alot of these shows will see a season 1 set and then no further releases. I highly doubt you'll see Sanford & Son Season 2 or the Jefferson's. Maybe you'll see Chico and the Man Season 1 first . I Think the Mash sets will continue but I'll be surprised if we see more AITF.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Mr. Lambert,
Were you able to get any update on Season 2 of All in the Family? I think you mentioned in another thread that you were going to try to get some information from the studio on this.
Not yet. If you recall, I said I would see what info Gord brings back from VSDA; he returns home today. If no info, then next week I will attempt to get the answer. AS TIME ALLOWS...I have a full-time job that has nothing to do with DVDs. :D
Dave Scarpa, about your post: while it is your opinion, and that's okay, as I conclusion I would say it is quite premature. I've said it before and I'll repeat myself here. It is WAAAAAY too early to base the future of Columbia follow-up box sets on their lack of announcement. Columbia is tradionally close-mouthed about all but their biggest releases, and only discuss things when they are about ready to announce it with a press release.
I will try to shake the trees for info, but I cannot promise that they will be forthcoming. In fact, I predict it will be a waste of time to call them. But I'll take that risk. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks