What's new

Technics Turntable HELP!!!! (1 Viewer)

Leif Wall

Second Unit
Okay, I know ZILCH about turntables. (I'm a child of the digital age) I recently purchased some vinyl of one of my favorite bands after I spotted it out of the blue at a local store. I don't have a turntable, but I want to listen to them...so...cue my parents.

They have a Technics SL-B211 that I can have for free. Not sure how good this tt is at all. I can't afford a top of the line tt or even a decent one at this time, so I'm just gonna take the Technics off my parents hands. :D Has anyone heard of this tt before? Must be from the 80s.

I really don't know the first thing about vinyl and tables, so what should I do? Should I bring it somewhere and have it inspected, new cartridge, etc...????

Rick_Brown

Second Unit
Technics made some good turntables so you may be in luck. As a precaution, at a minimum I would get the stylus checked at a dealer to make sure it is O.K. so you don't wreck your lp's.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Chances are close to 100% that you'll need a new belt. www.needleexpress.com and Link Removed are good sources. You'll probably want to put a new cartridge in as well (just to be on the safe side). If you have the book that should show you how to install a cart. If that turntable is "P-Mount" all you have to do is plug and play. If it's "standard mount" things get much more complicated.

Search for turntable threads here, there is a lot of great information to be had. The aforementioned sites have lots of good information also.

You'll need a record cleaner also, I use the simple DIscwasher D4 system and IMO it's fine for casual use. Audiophiles demand more.

Have fun and raid your local used record stores. :)

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
I second getting the stylus checked. Or just buy a new one or a whole new cartridge.

LJ

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks