Tech messed up my 510 - service mode or ISF?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Doug G, Feb 15, 2002.

1. Doug G

Doug G Auditioning

Dec 29, 2001
    I had a "factory authorized" tech out yesterday to replace the RF signal assembly in my Elite 510 and the guy left the set in complete electronic disarray after replacing the board. (I wasn't here to stupervise.) The picture H/V position, picture offsets, just about everything I can identify that could be wrong, is. Its like somehow even the "factory" settings got blown away and he didn't even bother to correct any of them. The set is definitely NOT in the condition it was when it was originally delivered to me.

So, here's my dilemma. I was planning to have the set ISF'd anyway but I also have a copy of the service manual that someone posted which details the procedures for making the picture adjustments. I have a technical background and definitely consider myself a tweaker, but I don't want to get in over my head or risk any permanent damage. Would I be completely nuts to try and perform the screen size adjustment, white balance, and color/tint offsets myself? I'm perfectly willing to leave any geometry changes to an ISF as the factory convergence mode looks pretty complicated. I want to wait a few weeks before ISF'ing it as the last thing I want is to find out that the new part has some other problem which would completely blow away any calibration during a subsequent repair.
  2. Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen Video Standards Instructor, THX Ltd.

Nov 9, 1999
    Gregg Loewen
    try using Video Essentials to setup your brightness, contrast, color, tint, and sharpness first.

Geometry stuff can be corrected during a video calibration.

If you think something is definitely wrong, insist on the tech coming back out to correct it and to give you a reasonably viewable picture. You might have to call Pioneer directly.

Lots of luck, and let me know if I might be of assistance. I come down to Mass very often.