What's new

TCM Vault: Universal Westerns of the 1950s, Feb 18 (1 Viewer)

RBailey

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Hall
CORONER CREEK is scheduled to air on Turner Classic Movies on Tuesday, December 11 at 8:15 a.m. eastern time. (I just watched my VHS copy the other day).
It's preceded by Joel McCrea's WICHITA at 6:45 a.m. on the 11th.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
It also airs on the Westerns Channel from time to time.
Columbia's CORONER CREEK (1948) and Warner Brothers' THE BOUNTY HUNTER (1954) are the two most glaringly obvious classic westerns to remain MIA from DVD. By coincidence they are two of Randolph Scott's best films.

cadavra

Supporting Actor
Real Name
mike schlesinger
Richard--W said:
Mike, any chance that Sony / Columbia might release Renegades (1946), the much-wanted Coroner Creek (1948), Relentless (1948), The Walking Hills (1949), Last of the Comanches (1953), and Reprisal (1956), to name only a few, in 2013?
I identified The Man From Laramie and The Last Frontier as Columbia films in post 32 above.
CORONER CREEK was released on DVD years ago; there might still be some copies available. Couldn't say about the others, but if it's aired on cable, the chances are greatly improved.
Mike S.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
cadavra said:
CORONER CREEK was released on DVD years ago; there might still be some copies available. Couldn't say about the others, but if it's aired on cable, the chances are greatly improved.
Mike S.
By Universal? I haven't come across it outside of bootlegs. Any more info on this DVD?

Brent S

Second Unit
Real Name
Brent Seguine
JoHud said:
By Universal? I haven't come across it outside of bootlegs. Any more info on this DVD?
CORONER CREEK (1948) is a Columbia property and received a 1996 VHS release from Columbia TriStar Video. You are correct, Sony/Columbia has not yet given it a DVD release.

cadavra

Supporting Actor
Real Name
mike schlesinger
Brent S said:
CORONER CREEK (1948) is a Columbia property and received a 1996 VHS release from Columbia TriStar Video. You are correct, Sony/Columbia has not yet given it a DVD release.
You're also correct. It was VHS, not DVD. Getting old blows. Sorry.
Mike S.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
I would like to see a second and third volume of Audie Murphy westerns from Universal / TCM.
Still unreleased in the USA are The Kid From Texas (1950), Gunsmoke (1953), Column South (1953), Tumbleweed (1953), Destry (1954), Walk the Proud Land (1956), The Wild and the Innocent (1959) and Seven Ways From Sundown (1960). All good westerns given sizable budgets (Audie never made a bad western unless you count The Guns of Petticoat). In The Kid From Texas Audie makes a very credible Billy the Kid, and in Walk the Proud Land he is a more mature John Clum, the Indian Agent at the San Carlos Reservation (Apache) who later became the mayor of Tombstone and a staunch supporter of the Earp brothers.
Hell Bent For Leather (1960) and 6 Black Horses (1962) are superior westerns that demand individual releases.

kingofthejungle

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Heath
I actually think Cast A Long Shadow is significantly worse than Ft. Petticoat. Audie was probably attracted to the role because it gave him a chance to play against type, but I think the resulting movie is one of the most painfully dull westerns in his filmography.
I agree with your larger point, though. More Murphy western sets would certainly be welcome, as his career seems to be rich with relatively unheralded gems. As someone relatively new to Murphy's output, the last TCM set's release of *Ride Clear of Diablo* was a major discovery. Here's hoping they follow up on Audie and Joel McCrea -- they've got enough for at least one more good McCrea box, the Universal films Saddle Tramp / Frenchie / The Lone Hand / and Black Horse Canyon, plus the Universal-owned Paramount films Wells Fargo and William Wellman's Barbara Stanwyck vehicle Great Man's Lady (which would probably be more appropriately placed somewhere else, but could kind of fit in a McCrea western set).
I'm looking forward to this new set, having wanted a good R1 release of Horizons West for a while now. As long as they keep cranking out the classic westerns, I'll keep buyin' 'em.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
kingofthejungle said:
and William Wellman's Barbara Stanwyck vehicle Great Man's Lady (which would probably be more appropriately placed somewhere else
It already has. It's part of the Barbara Stanwyck "Universal Backlot" box set. released several years ago.

kingofthejungle

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Heath
So it has! With two Sirk Titles as well...can't believe I missed this set. I'm gonna have to pick it up.
Thanks.

borisfw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
Richard--W said:
I would like to see a second and third volume of Audie Murphy westerns from Universal / TCM.
Still unreleased in the USA are The Kid From Texas (1950), Gunsmoke (1953), Column South (1953), Tumbleweed (1953), Destry (1954), Walk the Proud Land (1956), The Wild and the Innocent (1959) and Seven Ways From Sundown (1960). All good westerns given sizable budgets (Audie never made a bad western unless you count The Guns of Petticoat). In The Kid From Texas Audie makes a very credible Billy the Kid, and in Walk the Proud Land he is a more mature John Clum, the Indian Agent at the San Carlos Reservation (Apache) who later became the mayor of Tombstone and a staunch supporter of the Earp brothers.
Hell Bent For Leather (1960) and 6 Black Horses (1962) are superior westerns that demand individual releases.
I would welcome a couple more Murphy sets .

Metek

Auditioning
Real Name
Cyrus
Hope the artwork dvd will be nicely done, here is a few minutes work on one of my original lobby card! Metek:)
a0cce218_05420205.jpeg

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I just got notice that this one shipped. I should see it sometime next week since I'm in Canada. Anyone get it yet?

Dave B Ferris

Screenwriter
Russell G said:
I just got notice that this one shipped. I should see it sometime next week since I'm in Canada. Anyone get it yet?
Like you, still waiting. I received my shipping notice on Tuesday (2/19). I'm anticipating arrival next week, as well.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
I should get it Saturday at the earliest. Judging from the tracking info, mine also shipped Tuesday though I got the email notice yesterday.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
My boxset arrived today. I might sample it, but Top Gun in 3-D has the viewing priority today. Crawdaddy

John Stell

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Stell
I got mine today and 2 of the titles (Saskatchewan and Pillars of the Sky) were on DVD-R! I thought these initial sets were 100% pressed.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
John Stell said:
I got mine today and 2 of the titles (Saskatchewan and Pillars of the Sky) were on DVD-R!  I thought these initial sets were 100% pressed.
Well that's strange. I'll take a gander at mine and see if it has the same anomaly. Mine will be at my doorstep in a couple hours (Yay!).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks