What's new

TCM/Sony: The Lady From Shanghai (Blu-ray/DVD combo) (1 Viewer)

EddieLarkin

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Nick
Another poster on criterionforum has confirmed that he too received this recently from MU and that it is indeed a new and improved disc.

Bill:N

Stunt Coordinator
Packaging and disk photos.

Attachments

• IMG_8643.JPG
    IMG_8643.JPG
    171 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_8644.JPG
    IMG_8644.JPG
    199.7 KB · Views: 77

Stunt Coordinator
There are no menu options to choose the audio, but these photos should provide proof.

Attachments

• IMG_8647.JPG
    IMG_8647.JPG
    221.2 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_8648.JPG
    IMG_8648.JPG
    207.1 KB · Views: 77

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Yeah me either :) I just hope anyone else who orders from MU gets what you also received
Thank you for posting ! :)

This reminds me of Godzilla vs Megalon where some DVDs had the extras, you'd order the DVD and it had no extras :D

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Thanks for providing pictures. I hope you didn't take offense at my previous comment. It wasn't personal. But I've been around the internet block long enough to see people prank about the most ridiculous things, so I've learned to always ask for confirmation.Sent from my VS920 4G using Tapatalk

ValLewton

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Alex Renskoff
I just got off the phone with TCM and had a long but still unresolved conversation regarding a replacement disc. The fella I talked to invoked the 30 day return rule and I would have to contact the manufacturer which i told the rep i should not have to do that. I explained this seems to be a special case where that rule should be waived- I finally suggested they send me a replacement disc and a return label for the original disc and they could return it to the maufacturer. Now I'm waiting for a "supervisor" to call back(at their connivence). I'm not willing to give up getting a replacement disc. Something sure stinks about this!

Stunt Coordinator
Brandon Conway said:
Thanks for providing pictures. I hope you didn't take offense at my previous comment. It wasn't personal. But I've been around the internet block long enough to see people prank about the most ridiculous things, so I've learned to always ask for confirmation.Sent from my VS920 4G using Tapatalk
No offense taken and it's all a bit humorous after fact.. What's not so fumy is that there was no replacement program offered by TCM. Movies Unlimited only got this in very recently which makes it seem there was a delay (by TCM?) until the updated version was available.
I recall some time ago that Movies Unlimited sent me a corrected version of John Huston's The Dead without me having to ask for it*. TCM should do the same here. Good luck to everyone in getting the updated copy soon.

*Just remembered a similar occurrence with The Tarnished Angels in the Douglas Sirk Collection, which was another TCM Vault Collection release. An unsolicited replacement was sent.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Weird thing is that TCM is usually good about offering replacements, even going so far as replacing the cardboard sleeve on one of the film noir sets simply due to a typo.

I'm sure eventually they'll cave to some sort of replacement program once their reps slowly realize there is an actual revised version of this item. I'd consider calling the previous version "defective" since they manufacturer wouldn't have bothered making this new version if they didn't think so.

Patrick H.

Second Unit
I just got this in the mail this very minute after finally breaking down and ordering it last week along with some other titles to get free shipping during the TCM Memorial Day sale. It's the old DVD-case version. :angry:

So, yeah, I'm watching this thread with extreme interest. I thought the TCM Shop and Movies Unlimited were basically the same thing???

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
So on TCM, it's $24.99, and on Movies Unlimited, it's $34.99.

Probably not going to order it at all now -- not willing to spend $35 on the disc when it's available for $25, and not willing to spend $25 without knowing I'm getting the right thing.

TCM sure is doing a good job of taking something that might have been a guaranteed sale and turned it into a "maybe" or a "pass" for a lot of folks.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
No kidding. I will definitely buy it eventually, but I'll sure as hell wait for the dust to settle before making a move on it.

Peter Neski

Screenwriter
Gee Whiz TCM called me to say that when they finish selling the copies they have,they are going to release another version with added special features
and in a blue ray case !!!!! Screw it!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks