TCM/Sony: The Lady From Shanghai (Blu-ray/DVD combo)

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by RLane777, Jan 9, 2014.

1. Doug Otte

Doug Otte Supporting Actor

I watched it this weekend, and enjoyed it more than any other time I've seen it. I echo Bruce's superlative review. The stunning restoration allows us to sink into the film without distraction.

One line always stands out to me, not because of what's said, but because of the language.

When Elsa is looking for Michael in Chinatown, she's appropriately speaking Chinese (don't know if it's Mandarin or Cantonese) with people on the street. However, the woman in the ticket booth says "Konbonwa" to her, which is "Good Evening" in Japanese. The rest of their exchange is Chinese.

2. Craig Beam

Craig Beam Screenwriter

Craig Beam
    Here's a link to the Italian release, due out March 25. The cover is gorgeous!

Italian blu-ray.jpg

Around $20.00 plus shipping. I'm holding off for now. If the Italian job (heh heh) isn't a better version, I can always snag the TCM release then.

SAhmed likes this.
  3. Bill:N

Bill:N Stunt Coordinator

Finally received this today from Movies Unlimited after having it on pre-order for months. The packaging has now been changed to Blu-ray, Also, there is about a 20 minute feature by Eddie Muller, don't know if that was there before or not.

p.s.
    Just noticed also that the audio is now Dolby TrueHD instead of Dolby digital.
    Also the bit rate now averages close to 30 Mbps, it is dual-layered and AVC encoded.

4. bgart13

bgart13 Screenwriter

Ben
    Really! Sounds like they chose to fix it but not report nor offer a replacement program. Tsk tsk.

5. JoHud

JoHud Producer

Joe Hudak
    Really? I might call them up this week to see if I can finagle a replacement disc out of them.

Either way, it's a good sign that TCM listens to criticism and is earnest to deliver quality product in learning from its mistakes.

Mark Cappelletty likes this.
  6. Jay*W

Jay*W Second Unit
    Supporter

Joe,

Please let us know what you find out!

Thanks,

Jay

7. TheSteig

TheSteig Supporting Actor

David
    Share a picture of how it looks now, not so much screen shots but the packaging.. Im interested in knowing if this is a reissue or whatnot.. I dont know if Movie Unlimited customer service would know anything past their description and stock photo which is vague

8. Bill:N

Back cover attached.

Attached Files:

9. TheSteig

David
    What color is the blu ray case , is it blue / standard size ? Mine does not have the Muller interview on the back...

10. Bill:N

It's clear, standard Blu-ray size, with a slip cover.

11. Peter Neski

Peter Neski Supporting Actor

called TCM shop ,they know nothing about repackaging ,and newer cases

12. haineshisway

haineshisway Producer

Bruce
    Someone called Movies Unlimited and this was their response:
    Thank you for your inquiry regarding the above-referenced title. The film, “THE LADY FROM SHANGHAI”(1948)starring Rita Hayworth, Orson Welles & Everett Stone is available (#B6-1925)($34.99) as a “Blu-ray/DVD combo, in a “DVD” size case. Of course, it is a two disc set. One disc, Blu-ray. One disc, DVD.

I'm frankly beginning to question this thing of a new disc in a Blu-ray case - for many reasons. I may just order from MU and see what I get. Because surely they did not send out ONE copy that was fixed.

13. haineshisway

haineshisway Producer

Bruce
    Yes, there's something that smells bad here.

14. Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway captveg

Brandon Conway
    If ever there was a moment on the internet where the adage "Pics or it didn't happen" applied to a home video release, this would be it.

JoHud likes this.
  15. EddieLarkin

EddieLarkin Supporting Actor

Nick
    Yes, some actual photos (not scans!) of the Blu-ray case, and even better, a picture of the menu showing a lossless sound option, would be really appreciated!

16. Bill:N

What a bunch of doubting Thomases when all I'm trying to do is to provide updated information on this release. I have better things to do than creating a phony cover scan for what reason I can only imagine.
    The files on the Blu-ray are all dated April 4th, well after the initial release date. If someone were to politely ask me for photos, I would be glad to oblige, otherwise believe what you want.

17. TheSteig

David
    Hi Bill, you have to expect some skepticism because there hasnt been any peep or information from TCM or MU about what you received - I personally would very much like to believe you but it does help when you show pictures. I appreciate what you told me and posted - Im sure a lot of us would like to order it, but we are all worried that maybe you were the lucky one and we will get the same thing that we ordered from TCM. It would be spending 60.00 on the same thing essentially. i wish another person would pop up and say yes I also got it with photos and such
    So yes, Bill if you can provide more photos I would appreciate it thanks :)

18. Bill:N

No problem. I was just as surprised when I received this expecting the old version. I don't have the facility to do screen captures but I'll take some photos when I have time tomorrow morning and post them.

19. EddieLarkin

EddieLarkin Supporting Actor

Nick
    I'm sorry if my intended tone didn't come across Bill, but my request was meant politely and sincerely. I don't doubt you, but we don't have a lot to go on when both TCM and Movies Unlimited are directly contradicting you. Again, a photo of the menu showing the lossless audio option would settle this completely, and we'd then be able to protest TCM with full confidence.

20. Jay*W

Jay*W Second Unit
    Supporter

I would definitely appreciate a photo because I want to get the right version from TCM to replace the original. Maybe you could also take a photo of the menu screen on your TV (rather than a screen capture)?