What's new

TCM/Sony: The Lady From Shanghai (Blu-ray/DVD combo) (1 Viewer)

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I have a couple of Disney Blu-rays in DVD cases in my collection; so the case is no biggie for me (though I'd prefer a Blu-ray case). I can live with the Dolby Digital audio on a 1948 film.

Conrad_SSS

Second Unit
TCM should focus on improving their stale repetitive network instead of trying to be in the home video business and turning out such a low quality release in this day an age. Shameful!

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I watched my DVD of this film this afternoon (hadn't watched it in years). It's got loads of dust specks especially in the film's first half, but even with less than stellar black levels, it upconverts nicely.

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
The best channel on TV is Warner Archive Streaming, but it isn't a channel on TV!

Patrick H.

Second Unit
Outdated encode, lossy audio, sloppy packaging...but to me the real nail in the coffin is that they advertised a new commentary from Eddie Muller on this. But apparently it's the same Peter Bogdanovitch one from the DVD...and they didn't bother carrying over his video supplments. Ugh. I have many appreciated TCM releases, but no-go on this one.

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
TCM's shop shows that the Muller commentary is on the DVD. Has anyone checked out TCM's DVD?
Patrick H. said:
Outdated encode, lossy audio, sloppy packaging...but to me the real nail in the coffin is that they advertised a new commentary from Eddie Muller on this. But apparently it's the same Peter Bogdanovitch one from the DVD...and they didn't bother carrying over his video supplments. Ugh. I have many appreciated TCM releases, but no-go on this one.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Mark Walker said:
TCM's shop shows that the Muller commentary is on the DVD. Has anyone checked out TCM's DVD?
DVD Savant confirms the Bogdanovitch commentary. Savant likes the disc.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Greg_D_R said:
Just curious, have any of you seen the blu ray yet?
No, it hasn't even shipped yet. All this talk is based solely on the DVD Beaver take on its preview disc.

ABaglivi

Second Unit
Real Name
Anthony
I received the disc this morning, but the whole affair has caused me to leave it unopened for now.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
ABaglivi said:
I received the disc this morning, but the whole affair has caused me to leave it unopened for now.
Huh, mine hasn't even started shipping ("In Process").

If you choose to, let us know what you think of it.

Danny Burk

Second Unit
I watched it last night and thought it looked terrific. Great contrast, nice grain, mostly very sharp. There was minor variance in sharpness between scenes, which was subtle and I probably noticed it more because I was looking for it. Very happy with the purchase. I don't have an opinion on sound quality since I have a tin ear, other than it sounded fine to me.

Greg_D_R

Stunt Coordinator
Danny Burk said:
I watched it last night and thought it looked terrific. Great contrast, nice grain, mostly very sharp. There was minor variance in sharpness between scenes, which was subtle and I probably noticed it more because I was looking for it. Very happy with the purchase. I don't have an opinion on sound quality since I have a tin ear, other than it sounded fine to me.
If you give the picture a hard look, can you notice any noise or blocking within the solid areas of color (gray, white, black)? Do you see any noise or 'sparkling' around the edges of objects? That's my best verbal description of what compression artifacts look like, which is what people are concerned about with this disc.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
I watched it as well. Did a quick comparison with the Columbia DVD and I think it is a major upgrade. For what it is worth I give it a thumbs up and think any deficiencies with the image are likely due to the source material. I think this is as clean as we will see this title. I really enjoyed watching it again.

SAhmed

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Shakeel
I received my copy yesterday but will have to wait till the weekend to watch it.

Obviously the presentation is the the most important aspect of any release but I have to say that the physical presentation in dvd packaging is so cheap it looks and feels like one those $5 bargain bin releases of movies who nobody has heard of!

In contrast just look at the apparent presentation (at a similar price point) of the new releases for "Double Indemnity" or "Touch Of Evil" to come in April

Regards

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks