TCM/Sony: The Lady From Shanghai (Blu-ray/DVD combo)

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by RLane777, Jan 9, 2014.

1. RLane777

RLane777 Agent

Rick
    TCM has a new listing on their vault collection for coming soon and the new listing is, Blu-ray and DVD combo of The Lady From Shanghai. This is TCM's first Blu-ray release since The Iron Petticoat in 2012.

I'm really happy about this news and I hope this means more Blu-ray release to come.

Richard M S and Mark Walker like this.
  2. BIANCO2NERO

BIANCO2NERO Agent

This is great news - Hopefully this will be based on the terrific restoration that premiered at the London Film Festival last year. Great to see that Eddie Muller has recorded a commentary but I hope this doesn't mean we are losing the Peter Bogdanovich extras created for the previous DVD release.

Robin9 likes this.
  3. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    This is a complete surprise and, if true, a delightful one. Thanks for the info.

Mark Walker and ahollis like this.
  4. dana martin

dana martin Cinematographer

Dana Martin
    went to the site, for those that complain about TT, well here you go, the price is about the same, the great thing is the release date, is 1/27/2014, so by the end of the month. I am ok with everything listed, as features, the only complaint is man it has some awful coverart.

5. RLane777

RLane777 Agent

Rick
    I just pre-ordered mine with code "TCMGIFT14" in which I just paid $27.10 with FREE 3-7 days shipping. This will be my 12th Vault purchase from them and I hope it continues.

[​IMG]

6. bgart13

bgart13 Screenwriter

Ben
    The price is not "about the same." There's a $5-10 difference. I feel more comfortable purchasing this from TCM than some of these other things from TT.

7. Mark Cappelletty

Mark Cappelletty Cinematographer

Thanks for the heads-up, fellas!

8. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp
    Supporter

Russell
    Being from TCM, this should be available through Movies Unlimited, which means better shipping pricing and service than TT. So I'm happy!

9. Richard M S

Richard M S Supporting Actor

Since a new restoration of the film is playing at the Film Forum in NYC beginning January 31, I figured a Blu-ray release was forthcoming, but I did not think it would be this soon. Great news indeed!

10. dana martin

dana martin Cinematographer

Dana Martin
    might have to cancel and reorder, thought you needed to spend over $59.00 to use that code

11. RLane777

RLane777 Agent

Rick
    I thought that too until someone on another forum mentioned it works without it being over $59.

12. Mark Cappelletty

Mark Cappelletty Cinematographer

Good luck canceling from TCM Shop -- you can't cancel from the website and the CSR I talked to said she couldn't do it either. The $5 I'd save isn't worth the headache.

13. JoHud

JoHud Producer

Joe Hudak
    Orders can be cancelled over the phone. I was forced to go through all the trouble of doing so last year when a website glitch duplicated my order into two separate orders.

I also didn't use the code, but I agree that the discount isn't worth the fuss.

14. Garysb

Garysb Screenwriter

From blu ray dot com

"In partnership with The Film Foundation, Turner Classic Movies and Sony Pictures Home Entertainment proudly present this DVD/Blu-ray combo pack of The Lady from Shanghai (1947)—the first-ever Blu-ray release of the film, featuring a brand-new 4k digital restoration from the original negative."

Mark Walker likes this.
  15. Dale MA

Dale MA Screenwriter

Dale
    Ordered it, but the shipping cost to the UK is the same as the price of the BD itself! Making it more expensive than a Twilight Time release, crazy!

16. Garysb

Garysb Screenwriter

There doesn't seem to be any pattern as to why some Sony films with limited release in the US show up in Europe in wide release at a cheaper price such as The Way We Were and Oliver! and others are only are available in limited edition from the US such as Picnic and Cover Girl.
    The Lady From Shanghai seems to be only available in the US but not as a limited edition.

17. JoHud

JoHud Producer

Joe Hudak
    Try ordering from Movies Unlimited next time. They carry all of the TCM Exclusive stock and generally have better international shipping fees.

The MU link is here:
    http://www.moviesunlimited.com/musite/product.asp?sku=B61925

Edit: Checked and MU has a flat shipping rate of $11 for all foreign shipping (except Canada which is $9) which seems the cheaper alternative.

18. rayman1701

rayman1701 Second Unit
    Supporter

Ray Miller
    Thanks for the tip, worked like a charm. Blind buy for me, but my wife and I are both noir fans and this seemed right in the wheelhouse for us.

19. Garysb

Garysb Screenwriter

Unfortunately the retail and list price at Movies Unlimited is $10 higher then at TCM, so for this title there would not be much savings ordering from Movies Unlimited.

20. Ed Lachmann

Ed Lachmann Supporting Actor

Edmund Lachmann
    These are the sort of releases I love to support! With a bit of luck, perhaps TCM will start doing this regularly and often. Can you imagine it if they were to strike a deal with WB? I run into so many young people at the TCM festivals in L.A. who love classic movies as much as I do and they hope and pray for BD releases of their favorites, as well. Since the studios seem pretty uninvolved with this market, it's refreshing to see TCM jumping in. Can't wait to get my LADY FROM SHANGHAI!

Mark Walker likes this.