What's new

TCM Forbidden Hollywood Volume 3 Announced (1 Viewer)

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Thanks Warner!

Classic Flix has the full scoop on extras and I'm especially delighted to see three mystery short subjects written by SS Van Dine (Philo Vance) and starring John "Don't Call Me Chief" Hamilton as Inspector Carr as well as Donald Meek playing a scientist type who team to solve crimes. Internet research shows 12 of these two reelers were made ca. 1931-1932. I've never seen any of these and this will be a real treat.

Note to WHV: If future sets are going to be marketed as a salute to a particular director or star, please consider a set for the King of Pre-Codes....Warren William.

Richard M S

Screenwriter
Wow, this is a surprise; I expected some news about future Warner releases after the holidays, not right on New Year's. This set is a must-have for me, if only for the Loretta Young film MIDNIGHT MARY and the film OTHER MEN'S WOMEN starring the still-under-rated Mary Astor, which leads off the set.

Marcel H.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Marcel
This is a really great way to start a new year. Must buy for me, too. Thank you, Warners.

Simon Howson

Screenwriter
They're off to a good start with this, the third Doris Day box, a Natalie Wood box, and the Newman singles, all by the first week of April.

Mario Gauci

Senior HTF Member
Although I loved the first FORBIDDEN HOLLYWOOD set, I have yet to spring for the second one but this new announcement has catapulted it to the top of my "DVDs to Buy" list!

Being deprived of TCM in my neck of the woods, it's no surprise that I've never seen any of these yet and after some initial disappointment at the general modesty of the titles included - with the obvious exception of HEROES FOR SALE (1933) and WILD BOYS OF THE ROAD (1933), of course - I realize that it's churlish to scoff at the opportunity to get this kind of movies in any way we can.

Consequently, while I no longer spring recklessly for any box set Warners puts out like I used to, this will cetainly find its way into my shopping cart eventually - not least because of the two lengthy documentaries on the underrated master director Wellman.

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member

SPRING FOR IT!!

The second is very good and worth getting if only for the documentary on the pre-code era, THOU SHALT NOT.

CineKarine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Karine Philippot

Yes, fabulous - what a great year 2009 is setting up to be!!!!
I am buying this collection for sure - MIDNIGHT MARY, is THE pre-code film par excellence for me. I am also a great fan of THE PURCHASE PRICE among others. Brilliant idea to use a director theme for this set.

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
I purchased the 1st 2 sets, but I believe that I'll pass on set three. None of the films look at all interesting to me. :eek:

Fabian Kusch

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Fabian Kusch
I'm extremely thrilled that Warners are continuing their Forbidden Hollywood series.

I would have wished for a different selection of titles (RED DUST would have been the no-brainer), but I like Wellman and Young immensely, so I will certainly buy it.

Jefty

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David Fiore

oh Wellman is awesome--and just think--this set includes fewer than half of the movies he made during the 4 year "Pre-Code" period!

CineKarine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Karine Philippot
For a totally different take on Wellman - an operetta-style musical (!) - try STINGAREE (34), one of the TCM exclusives.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif
I received my copy during the holidays.

ColbyCo82

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steven
Since Forbidden Hollywood collections seem like the only outlet for Norma Shearer films like Strangers May Kiss, Private Lives, and Riptide...the Wellman emphasis leaves me a little sad.

Marc^H

Agent
Happy for another volume, but mildly disappointed in the selections...they're all good movies, and worth owning, but there are so many more titles that better represent what "pre-Code" means.

I was hoping for at least one of my favorites like I'VE GOT YOUR NUMBER, BLONDE CRAZY, UNION DEPOT, RED DUST, POSSESSED (1931), EMPLOYEES ENTRANCE, LILY TURNER, UNDER EIGHTEEN or the magnificently smutty SHE HAD TO SAY YES. Maybe volume 4....

I think thats Joan Blondell on the cover, which is appropriate, since she utters the best line in this entire set.

I wonder if Fox has been keeping an eye on the success of this series? They are sitting on a gold mine of pre-Codes that are almost never shown. Surely a pre-Code set would have even broader film buff appeal than the Murnau/Borzage set?

(for a sample...Google "Fox before the Code"....and get ready to drool)

ColbyCo82

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steven
Or how about getting Universal putting out some of its huge pre-code Paramount library? They have Clara Bow films like Kick In, Kay Francis vehicles like Girls About Town, and many unrelease Dietrich and Mae West films. Not to mention others like The Story of Temple Drake with Miriam Hopkins, Murders in the Zoo, and This is the Night with Lili Dalmita and Cary Grant. I could go on and on....

KellyVO

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kelly
Keep up the work Warners! I won't lie I haven't seen any of the films in this set but I'm tempted!

I'm just glad Warner isn't re-releasing classics all year!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks