TCFHE Press Release: The Mary Tyler Moore Show Season Seven

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Ronald Epstein, Jul 7, 2010.

1. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    [​IMG]

SHE TURNED THE WORLD ON WITH HER SMILE AND
    PROVED SHE COULD MAKE IT AFTER ALL

[​IMG]

THE COMPLETE SEVENTH SEASON

Final Season Of The Ground-Breaking, Emmy&reg Award-Winning Series
    Arrives On DVD October 5 From Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment
    Including Exclusive Footage Of The Final Curtain Call

LOS ANGELES, CA. (July 7, 2010) – Share the memories and the merriment when the hilarious and heart-warming “The Mary Tyler Moore Show” The Complete Seventh Season arrives on DVD October 5 from Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment. From the love and laughter of Mary’s uproarious dinner parties to the chaos and camaraderie of the WJM-TV newsroom, “The Mary Tyler Moore Show” will always be remembered as one of the best—and best loved—shows of all time. Created by James L. Brooks (As Good As It Gets) and starring Mary Tyler Moore (“The Dick Van Dyke Show”), Ed Asner (Up), Betty White (“The Golden Girls”), Valerie Harper (“Rhoda”), Ted Knight (Caddyshack) and Gavin MacLeod (“The Love Boat”), the venerated series consistently ranked among television’s top-rated programs during its distinguished seven-year run. The final season of the enduring classic includes such series milestones as the birth of Ted and Georgette’s baby, Murray’s tenure as a producer, Mary’s date with Lou, and the show’s bittersweet final episode, where the gang bids one last farewell to WJM-TV and each other. Winner of 29 Emmy&regAwards, including three for Outstanding Comedy Series, and three Golden Globe® Awards, the beloved show made television history by depicting a strong and independent woman fighting to make a place for herself in a man’s world and gave rise to some of television’s most memorable characters. Featuring 24 episodes, the collectible three-disc set also includes the never-before-available and fan requested ‘Final Curtain Call’, which aired only once on March 19, 1977.

“The Mary Tyler Moore Show” The Complete Seventh Season will be available for the suggested retail price of $29.98 U.S. / $37.98 Canada. Prebook is August 25, 2010.

Disc Specs: (Catalog # 2267658)

Episodes:

?

Mary Midwife

?

Look At Us, We’re Walking

?

Mary The Writer

?

The Critic

?

Sue Ann’s Sister

?

Lou’s Army Reunion

?

What’s Wrong With Swimming?

?

The Ted And Georgette Show

?

Ted’s Change Of Heart

?

Sue Ann Gets The Ax

?

One Producer Too Many

?

Hail The Conquering Gordy

?

My Son, The Genius

?

Mary And The Sexagenarian

?

Mary Gets A Lawyer

?

Murray Ghosts For Ted

?

Lou Proposes

?

Mary’s Three Husbands

?

Murray Can’t Lose

?

Mary’s Big Party

?

Mary’s Insomnia

?

Lou Dates Mary

?

Ted’s Temptation

?

The Last Show

About Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment
    Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment, LLC (TCFHE) is a recognized global industry leader and a subsidiary of Twentieth Century Fox Film Corporation, a News Corporation company. Representing 75 years of innovative and award-winning filmmaking from Twentieth Century Fox, TCFHE is the worldwide marketing, sales and distribution company for all Fox film and television programming, acquisitions and original productions on DVD, Blu-ray Disc Digital Copy, Video On Demand and Digital Download. The company also releases all products globally for MGM Home Entertainment. Each year TCFHE introduces hundreds of new and newly enhanced products, which it services to retail outlets from mass merchants and warehouse clubs to specialty stores and e-commerce throughout the world.

# # #

Follow Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment on Twitter @FoxHomeEnt

“THE MARY TYLER MOORE SHOW” THE COMPLETE SEVENTH SEASON

Street Date:

October 5, 2010

Prebook Date:

August 25, 2010

Screen Format:

Full Screen

Audio:

English Mono

Subtitles:

English, Spanish, SDH

U.S. Rating:

N/A

Total Run Time:

600 minutes

Closed Captioned:

Yes

2. The Obsolete Man

The Obsolete Man Screenwriter

Robert
    Well, I do wonder if "It's A Long Way To Tipperary" will be cut from the final episode, but hey, at least the series will finally be done... with bonus features, too.

3. Jack P

Jack P Producer

I don't think we'll see that cut but I am rather sure we will NOT hear Ted's singing of "Tonight" in "Mary's Three Husbands".

And let's not forget Mary's hilarious "One For My Baby" rendition that is also a S7 classic.

4. Steve...O

Steve...O Producer

Steve
    Thanks to Fox for bringing this to conclusion! Much appreciated. As with all previous seasons, this is a "must buy".

Since we do have a regular Fox Insider on HTF....Mr. Finn, are you able to comment on the status of the "musical" performances on S7? Hopefully Fox was able to secure clearances for these.

5. EricSchulz

EricSchulz Producer

Is "Mary's Big Party" the episode that Johnny Carson "appears" in?

Can't wait to pre-order this!!!!!

6. Mike*SC

Mike*SC Second Unit

While there's no way they could cut "It's a Long Way to Tipperary" from the finale under any circumstance (there would be no ending to the series), it's a moot point anyway: the song is in the public domain.

7. vnisanian2001

vnisanian2001 Supporting Actor

Well, just because a song is in public domain doesn't mean it's guaranteed that it won't be removed. CBS removed "Give my Regards to Broadway" from an episode of "The Odd Couple", and that song is in the public domain.

Think of it this way (and yes, I heard it from another poster on here): Even though the original story of "Sleeping Beauty" is in public domain, Disney's version, however, is most certainly under copyright.

8. LeoA

LeoA Screenwriter

Leo
    If I remember the finale correctly though, didn't the cast sing the song themselves?

If the song itself isn't copyrighted and the performance of it on the show is owned by FOX, there should be no issues. FOX would own the copyright of that performance.

9. Garysb

Garysb Screenwriter

There was also Georgette singing and dancing "Steam Heat". I think that is the same episode where Mary sings, "One For My Baby"

It will be a very short episode if both are cut. Remember Fox cleared the Ally McBeal music so there is hope. I am guessing that the final curtain call will be a stand alone extra rather than it running as the closing credits of the final episode. It would be nice if Fox set it up to give you a choice to rum the final episode with the final curtain call or not. Kind of like what CBS did with some seasons of "I Love Lucy" where you could run episodes with the original opening credits from the 1950's or with the credits most people remember from reruns. I wonder if there will be exclusive extras with the complete series box set whenever that is released. I am surprised it was not announced with the 7th season.

600 divided by 24 equals 25 minutes an episode. Should be complete uncut for a 1970's show. Hope the information is accurate.

10. Mike*SC

Mike*SC Second Unit

Of course, all elements unique to the Disney version remain under their copyright. In the case of the MTM use of a public domain song, if Fox owns the performance (they do) and the song is free, they would not replace it. I was unfamiliar with the "Odd Couple" instance, but that would seem to have been a mistake, barring some circumstance I'm not privy to. Regardless, that was a recurring gag in an episode, not the signature climax of a famous finale.

11. excuseyou77

excuseyou77 Extra

So so so happy about this. And it's just icing on the cake to read that the original curtain call closing credits for the finale will be there.

12. Theodore J. Mooney

Theodore J. Mooney Supporting Actor

I most definitely will be picking this set up. There are so many episodes that I want to revisit such as "Mary, the Midwife", "Mary's Insomia", "The Ted and Georgette Show", "Sue Ann Gets the Axe", "Hail, the Conquering Gordy", "Mary's Three Husbands", "Mary's Big Party", "Lou Dates Mary", and of course the classic, "The Last Show". I can't wait! :)

13. Rick Thompson

Rick Thompson Screenwriter

Not to mention "Sue Ann's Sister" with the Symphony in Pink set of Sue Ann's bedroom! Don't miss the sight gag of Ted looking up and straightening his tie!

14. Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed Stunt Coordinator

Take a deep breath eveyone. We can start breathing again! Hard to believe that a show that has won so many awards took so long to complete. With All in the Family coming as well, all I can say is October is my month. Until then I have the summer off.

15. JohnMor

JohnMor Producer
    Supporter

John Moreland
    Thrilled to say the least. And doubly thrilled to have the curtain call included.

16. Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott Lead Actor

Happy that I never had to rebuy the first four seasons to get the last 3.

17. Joe Lugoff

Joe Lugoff Cinematographer

Joe

Me, too ... and it's thanks to those of us who were quite vocal in complaining about Fox's original scheme, on this forum and over at Amazon.

And we got all kinds of grief for it, too.

18. LeoA

LeoA Screenwriter

Leo
    Except you probably barely saved anything and perhaps ended up spending more, had to wait much longer, and faced uncertainty if it would finished right up until the end.

The MSRP of the complete set was going to be $179.98 SRP. That's $20 less then Leave it to Beaver that doesn't seem to be difficult at all for getting for well under $100 on day 1. So I presume it would've been possible to get it for around $80-$90 which is what the three seasons individually probably cost most people.

And if you had resold your first 4 seasons, you might've even ended up with a really good deal if they're getting at least $10 or so used online at places like Amazon (Don't feel like checking to see what they go for used).

;)

On the positive side, no one is stuck with poor complete series packaging (Companies including FOX never seem to get that right), and perhaps the extra time helped them clear any potential music issues that have been discussed around here in the past and helped them find out about and locate other material to include (Such as the end credits of the final show), which might not of happened had the complete series came out when it was planned.

19. Theodore J. Mooney

Theodore J. Mooney Supporting Actor

Well it looks like I made the right decision of waiting rather than spending the extra $100 at the spur of the moment just to see it go to waste. You see, the last three seasons only cost me $60 (with each season being $20 each). For the complete series set, I would have to spend $161 (this was Amazon's price) . Purchasing the remaining seasons individually also saved me time AND the hassel of trying resell seasons 1-4 which I wanted to keep anyways. Also, I didn't mind the wait since it gave me more time to watch my newly-purchased DVD sets of other shows that I enjoy watching. As far as the certainty of the remaining seasons of TMTMS being released on DVD, I didn't have to worry as Fox said more or less that they were committed to completing the series on DVD. In regards to reselling seasons 1-4, I don't think customers would want a used DVD set over a brand new, sealed one that has the same price tag. Anyways, I am so happy that everything worked out the way it did. Fox did the right thing.

P.S. - Having patience does pay off! ;-)

20. JohnMor

JohnMor Producer
    Supporter

John Moreland
    The fact is Fox NEVER announced a complete series set and hence never published a price for it. People reacted (and over-reacted, given it was never even confirmed to be true) to a placeholder on Amazon. I love the assumption that Fox never listened to sales figures but listened to "reviews" of a non-existent, never announced product on Amazon.