What's new

TCFHE Press Release: The Man With No Name Trilogy (Blu-ray) (Re-Release) (2 Viewers)

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Does the Italian Blu-ray only have Italian sound? Does it have the English language soundtrack?

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Does the Italian Blu-ray only have Italian sound? Does it have the English language soundtrack?
No, the Mondo release doesn't have an English soundtrack, or I would have bought it a while back.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Oh wow...

So the Italian release has no English soundtrack.

Makes my choice of what to buy that much easier.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I'm sticking with my pre-order from Fox (and I already sold off the earlier set!). As Malcolm says, I can always make color adjustments (should they prove necessary), but you can't add lost detail to a DNR'd picture.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I'm going to pass, those jaundice skin tones & weird coloured sky's would just annoy me. I almost envy those people who don't notice colour that much. Someone on another site says even the whites in the titles are a bit yellow, which leads me to believe that the huge yellow bias was added at the end of the process.

Maybe I'll look at Once Upon A Time In The West through a couple of bright yellow sweet wrappers...it's what Sergio would have wanted :)

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Billy Batson said:
I'm going to pass, those jaundice skin tones & weird coloured sky's would just annoy me. I almost envy those people who don't notice colour that much. Someone on another site says even the whites in the titles are a bit yellow, which leads me to believe that the huge yellow bias was added at the end of the process.

Maybe I'll look at Once Upon A Time In The West through a couple of bright yellow sweet wrappers...it's what Sergio would have wanted :)
I'm going to put the 3D glasses on, the tint should change the colour just enough. :D

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Fox is running a boxed set sale today but for some reason
this set is not eligible. I am guessing because it is still in
preorder status.

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
So without even getting into the coloring issues...

The other two films have recently had new restorations, but this set includes the already-released discs of both, making TGTBATU the only one that's been touched...

And it's also only the extended version, despite many fans' preference for the shorter cut (this would have been a great opportunity to present both)...

And they've removed the original Italian soundtrack (which was a nice bonus on the old disc) and replaced it with a mono downmix of the English 5.1 remix. (This happened on the 35th Anniversary BD of Halloween, and I'm still not sure what the point of doing this is.)

Weird, disappointing release.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Ronald Epstein said:
Fox is running a boxed set sale today but for some reason
this set is not eligible. I am guessing because it is still in
preorder status.
Looks like the set is currently $25 on Fox Connect's webpage.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Looks like the set is currently $25 on Fox Connect's webpage.
Still too expensive based on the fact I only want one movie -and-
right now the reviews are not very positive.

I'll wait until there is a 50% boxed set sale and get it for less.....

...that is, unless I get too discouraged by the reports coming in
about the colors.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
The studios are like municipal police departments staffed by minimum wage rent-a-cops. The people working there are happy to have jobs but there's no motivation to go above and beyond so they wallow in mediocrity. That's how I feel about Hollywood studios. People are getting paid to decide what movies should get released, whether or not they should spend money on new masters, assuring themselves that people won't notice (or care) if they screw up the audio or if it's a long version or a short version. I don't know who's running these places but it's definitely not people who know ANYTHING about movies.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
cineMANIAC said:
The studios are like municipal police departments staffed by minimum wage rent-a-cops. The people working there are happy to have jobs but there's no motivation to go above and beyond so they wallow in mediocrity. That's how I feel about Hollywood studios. People are getting paid to decide what movies should get released, whether or not they should spend money on new masters, assuring themselves that people won't notice (or care) if they screw up the audio or if it's a long version or a short version. I don't know who's running these places but it's definitely not people who know ANYTHING about movies.
Trust me, the people making those studio decisions are well paid and have no comparison to the wage structure of local police departments. Also, it's not fair to lump all of those studio personnel into one group. There are some people working there that actually know movies.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
And I don't see how one can begrudge MGM Home Video for the look of this GBU disc when it is representative of the Italian restoration. (Though they may have screwed up by putting the downmix mono on the disc rather than the restored mono).

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Brandon Conway said:
And I don't see how one can begrudge MGM Home Video for the look of this GBU disc when it is representative of the Italian restoration. (Though they may have screwed up by putting the downmix mono on the disc rather than the restored mono).
Well I dunno, I get the impression that MGM just put out what the Italians gave them, without any imput, but I could be wrong there.. Whatever, picture & sound issues, & Americans having to buy the first two films again (exactly the same as what they've got), it's not MGM's finest hour.

Yorkshire

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
Jari K said:
"I'm praying that Criterion get their hands on this."Even if (and that's a big IF) that would be the case, it'll take years before this is coming from Criterion. I mean why would they release a film that's just being released from the 4K master? Criterion has to think about the business side also.
Immediately I'm thinking of It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World.

I don't think it was too long between the MGM release and the Criterion.

There we have a film released by MGM in one cut, but re-released by Criterion with another cut which fans were crying out for.

Does that scenario ring any bells?

It would also go some way to explaining the lack of both the original theatrical cut and the original mono on this release, both of which MGM must have known fans really wanted. It's difficult to fathom why these weren't included in this release, given the obvious amount of time, effort and money involved in a 4K restoration, if there wasn't something else going on.

Steve W

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
"I don't think it was too long between the MGM release and the Criterion."Well no, I guess it was roughly 2 years. The big selling point was obviously the (restored) longer version.

DSmith1984

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Doug
Has anyone received a shipping notice from Amazon? I ordered mine last month and not only have I not received my notice that it's being prepped to ship, the listing still hasn't been updated to reflect the June 3rd release date. I'm a Prime subscriber so it's highly unusual that I've not gotten a notice at this point for something that's releasing the next day.If no one has these notices yet, I'm starting to wonder if maybe it's been delayed for one reason or another. I've not passed judgment on the transfer based on the caps because I feel that to do such a thing would be equivalent to judging the entire state of Michigan based only on Detroit, but I know there has been a lot of controversy over the transfer and the inclusion of a mono down mix of the 5.1 track instead of the original mono. Therefore, I'm wondering if MGM possibly has delayed this to tinker with it or if the early copies that got out were messed up and they're fixing them.Speculation on my part so please don't take that as though I'm saying such a thing has occurred.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I cannot help on the Amazon front, as I cancelled my pre-order yesterday. Between the potential color issues and the news that the other films have recently received 4K scans, I decided to hold off on this purchase. I'm sure we will see another offering next year with the other films also being upgraded.

If the price drops under $20, I may reconsider, but I am getting tired of re-buying these three films over and over. I sold my BD set, but I can wait for awhile before seeing the films again.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hemolens
Recent bookmarks