What's new

TCFHE Press Release: The Man With No Name Trilogy (Blu-ray) (Re-Release) (1 Viewer)

Yorkshire

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
Steen DK said:
Caps-a-holic have a comparison up and it shows the same dreadful colour scheme (and their caps are, in my experience, always 100% correct). :angry:
Apparently, when they restored this they had access to IB prints and the assistant cameraman for advice.

Quick question here. I want you to image a very slightly alternate history.

Let's say the IB prints looked like this (yellow-ish) and the assistant confirmed that was the original look.

Let's then say MGM ignored that, and went for the same colour as the other releases.

Let's say, shortly before the release, the assistant broke ranks and made us all aware he (and the IB prints) were ignored.

What would the response of the online community be then?

Over to you...

Steve W

Persianimmortal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Koroush Ghazi
There's going to be complaints either way, that's the nature of the Internet. I'm definitely interested in hearing from people who know how the color should look, but it just seems too extreme at the moment. What makes it worse is that the other two films in the trilogy don't currently look like this on Blu, so it's inconsistent as it currently stands. The ideal situation would be if all three movies were remastered to their original look, which undoubtedly would make them more consistent, and any change much easier to bear for viewers.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
haineshisway said:
I'll wait until I get them, as I don't know anything about the caps and who posted them. IF the color is as it is in the caps, then no, the dye transfer 35mm print I owned looked nothing like that - it had BLUE skies and very detailed color, as did all of Leone's films.
Blue skies indeed, that was a very consistent scene in the two westerns I saw from him theatrically. It is always hard to remember exactly but I would think that their color balance was somewhere in between the US-release and the Italian release of TGTBTU. The UK disc is a travesty when it comes to colors, what kind of sky is that - it was blue before! I wonder what is wrong with colorists today - it has been an ongoing problem at Fox (imo) and now we get THIS from MGM? Way to mess up a 4k scan!

SAhmed

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Shakeel
No matter how much I love this film, I can't keeping buying and rebuying this if I am not going to get something significantly better - I have cancelled my pre-order.

I will survive for the moment with German and Italian imports until something proven to be better comes along. Why can't they get this right !!!!

Regards,

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
SAhmed said:
No matter how much I love this film, I can't keeping buying and rebuying this if I am not going to get something significantly better - I have cancelled my pre-order.

I will survive for the moment with German and Italian imports until something proven to be better comes along. Why can't they get this right !!!!

Regards,
100% agreed. I have also cancelled my pre order.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Yorkshire said:
Apparently, when they restored this they had access to IB prints and the assistant cameraman for advice.

Quick question here. I want you to image a very slightly alternate history.

Let's say the IB prints looked like this (yellow-ish) and the assistant confirmed that was the original look.

Let's then say MGM ignored that, and went for the same colour as the other releases.

Let's say, shortly before the release, the assistant broke ranks and made us all aware he (and the IB prints) were ignored.

What would the response of the online community be then?

Over to you...

Steve W
I had and still have access to my old 35mm IB Tech print and the print was hardly yellow. Of course, if they projected their Tech prints with a current bulb rather than carbon arc I do believe you'd get something akin to what I'm seeing in those caps. I have an acquaintance here in LA who shows 35mm tech prints all the time sans carbon arc, obviously - they all look yellow. If you put the print up on his editing bench and look at it, no yellow at all.

Stefan Andersson

Second Unit
Clip from the new 4K AFOD resto showing May 24 in Cannes:

http://video.repubblica.it/dossier/cannes-2014/per-un-pugno-di-dollari-restaurato-a-cannes-e-poi-in-sala/165118/163609

The guys behind the 2007 Italian resto defend their work and gives detailed info:

https://www.facebook.com/notes/ripleys-home-video/a-fistful-of-dollars-re-restored/10152425272305056

Ongoing in-depth discussion re various R1 and R2/Italian GBU discs:
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=227798&page=35
One post mentions that the 4K GBU has a mono track restored by Chace Audio.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
"Apparently, when they restored this they had access to IB prints and the assistant cameraman for advice."Do you have a link to this assistant cameraman theory?

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Jari K said:
"Apparently, when they restored this they had access to IB prints and the assistant cameraman for advice."Do you have a link to this assistant cameraman theory?
The cameraman remembers exactly how a film from almost fifty ago years looked, i can't remember things from last week.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Apparently there are restoration credits at the conclusion of the film on the new disc that credit the restoration to L'Immagine Ritrovita in Italy with color timing determined via Italian Technicolor prints and consultation with Assistant Cameraman Sergio Salvati.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
The detail on this new release is certainly stunning. Definitely blows away the theory that the reason the older blu-rays weren't so hot was because the film stock was too weak/inferior to yield such an image.

My main issue with the overwhelming yellow is consistency. The earlier two films don't have such strong yellows, so seeing the last film of Leone's trilogy tilt toward yellow is pretty disorienting. Probably another reason they should have remastered all 3 for this set, since if the first 2 also had a similar push toward yellow, I could at least get used to it or more easily convince myself it's suppose to look that way. As is, it sticks out like a blazing sore thumb in this set.
Yorkshire said:
I am smiling quietly to myself.

When the dollars trilogy first appeared, in the UK we had to buy all 3 in a box - if we wanted individual releases we had to import.

Now the boot's on the other foot. :P
I agree, too much of a gamble to get this NA release. If anyone wants to take a crack at the new 4k transfer, the UK edition is the way to go. Too many compromises in this boxed set to make the purchase worthwhile.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
JoHud said:
My main issue with the overwhelming yellow is consistency. The earlier two films don't have such strong yellows, so seeing the last film of Leone's trilogy tilt toward yellow is pretty disorienting. Probably another reason they should have remastered all 3 for this set, since if the first 2 also had a similar push toward yellow, I could at least get used to it or more easily convince myself it's suppose to look that way. As is, it sticks out like a blazing sore thumb in this set.
Not in this set, but the new 4k restoration for A Fistful of Dollars by the same Italian film group also has the yellow color timing apparently.Sent from my VS920 4G using Tapatalk

Tama

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tama
FoxyMulder said:
The cameraman remembers exactly how a film from almost fifty ago years looked, i can't remember things from last week.
Well why not? Just about most members here and elsewhere claim to have this ability to remember how an image looked or what color it was many eons ago.

This is not a insult against you. Juts too many times I see people denouncing something based on there own personal preference and not much else.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Apparently, when they restored this they had access to IB prints and the assistant cameraman for advice. Quick question here. I want you to image a very slightly alternate history. Let's say the IB prints looked like this (yellow-ish) and the assistant confirmed that was the original look. Let's then say MGM ignored that, and went for the same colour as the other releases. Let's say, shortly before the release, the assistant broke ranks and made us all aware he (and the IB prints) were ignored. What would the response of the online community be then? Over to you... Steve W
I know what my response would be, thank you MGM. How about if we had a really nice looking extended The Fellowship Of The Ring & Peter Jackson said, no, don't buy it, it's not what I wanted, it should look really green & cloggy (lovely green snow), or if we had a really nice looking, Last Of The Mohicans, & Michael Mann said no, it should be really, really dark.I just want a good looking film. I know I may be remembering films through a golden haze, but I remember films looking...good! There's plenty of films these days that look very yellow. That's the way films are now, no subtly, a sad scene is really blue, a happy one impossible golden. It wasn't like that back then, if Leone wanted the desert scenes looking a bit golden, they would have looked a bit golden, but not enough to bring attention to themselves. Oh well, we need a good western release to save the day, over to you Warner. A great looking redone, The Wild Bunch please (maybe in a box set with, Ride The High Country/The Ballard Of Cable Hogue/Pat Garrett & Billy The Kid), & release She Wore A yellow Ribbon & The Life & Times Of Judge Ray Bean while you're at it, & maybe One-Eyed Jacks from Paramount. I'm not holding out any hope for Gui La Testa.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Well why not? Just about most members here and elsewhere claim to have this ability to remember how an image looked or what color it was many eons ago. This is not a insult against you. Juts too many times I see people denouncing something based on there own personal preference and not much else.
So...the people responsible for this transfer accurately remember what the colour was eons ago, but nobody here does, just so I know. I denounce things based on my own judgment, what else have I got? I'm too long in the tooth to accept anything put in front of me by people who, supposingly know better.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Accurate or not, it's UGLY. If that is the way the film is supposed to look, I'll stick with revisionism.

In this particular case, I'll stick with less detail and more pleasant colors (i.e the prior blu-ray).

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Tama said:
Well why not? Just about most members here and elsewhere claim to have this ability to remember how an image looked or what color it was many eons ago.

This is not a insult against you. Juts too many times I see people denouncing something based on there own personal preference and not much else.
My gut instinct tells me that films from the sixties did not get colour timed that way, it looks like modern revisionism to me.

Dale MA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dale
Watched the new BD of TGTBATU last night, colours as we know are drastically different to previous home video releases. The detail of the image was quite breathtaking in places.

Disappointed to find that it was the extended version, with no sign of the US theatrical cut. Also the mono track is nothing more than a folded down version of the surround mix, quite odd!

I hope that one day Criterion get hold of this film.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Watched the new BD of TGTBATU last night, colours as we know are drastically different to previous home video releases. The detail of the image was quite breathtaking in places.

Hi Dale!

Would you say that the new look of this film is acceptable? I know you found the detail in
the image to be breathtaking in places, but overall, what did you think of the new color scheme?Still wondering if this is worth purchasing.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks