TCFHE Press Release: The Illusionist (Blu-ray Combo)

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Ronald Epstein, Apr 29, 2010.

1. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    [​IMG]

A FORBIDDEN ROMANCE AND STUNNING MYSTERIES UNFOLD
    FOR THE FIRST TIME IN HIGH DEFINITION

THE ILLUSIONIST
    Blu-ray Disc + DVD

On June 8, Enter A World Where Nothing Is As It Seems When Blu-ray + DVD Combo Arrive From Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment

[​IMG]

LOS ANGELES, CA (April 29, 2010) – Discover where reality ends and magic begins when The Illusionist arrives in a Blu-ray Disc + DVD combo pack June 8 from Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment. An outstanding ensemble cast including Golden Globe&reg Winner* Ed Norton (Fight Club), Jessica Biel (Blade Trinity), Golden Globe&reg Winner** Paul Giamatti (Sideways) and Rufus Sewell (Tristan + Isolde) weave a tangled web of twists and turns in this mesmerizing tale that blurs the line between love and devotion, vigilance and mania and, ultimately, life and death.

The acclaimed illusionist Eisenheim (Norton) has not only captured the imaginations of all of Vienna, but also the interest of the ambitious Crown Prince Leopold (Sewell). But when Leopold's new fiancé (Biel) rekindles a childhood fascination with Eisenheim, the Prince's interest evolves into obsession... and suddenly the city's Chief Inspector (Giamatti) finds himself investigating a shocking crime. But even as the Inspector engages him in a dramatic challenge of wills, Eisenheim prepares for his most impressive illusion yet.

The Illusionist Blu-ray disc + DVD contains the theatrical feature in both high definition and standard definition, as well as special features in standard definition including The Making of The Illusionist and Jessica Biel on The Illusionist featurettes and audio commentary by writer/director Neil Burger. The Blu-ray + DVD combo will be available for the low suggested retail price of $24.99 U.S. The prebook date is May 12.

Special Features: (Catalog # 2268687)?Blu-ray Disc ?The Illusionist in High Definition?DVD ?The Illusionist in Standard Definition ?Feature Audio Commentary by Writer/Director Neil Burger ?The Making of The Illusionist Featurette ?Jessica Biel on The Illusionist Featurette
    About Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment
    Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment, LLC (TCFHE) is a recognized global industry leader and a subsidiary of Twentieth Century Fox Film Corporation, a News Corporation company. Representing 75 years of innovative and award-winning filmmaking from Twentieth Century Fox, TCFHE is the worldwide marketing, sales and distribution company for all Fox film and television programming, acquisitions and original productions on DVD, Blu-ray Disc Digital Copy, Video On Demand and Digital Download. The company also releases all products globally for MGM Home Entertainment. Each year TCFHE introduces hundreds of new and newly enhanced products, which it services to retail outlets from mass merchants and warehouse clubs to specialty stores and e-commerce throughout the world.

Follow TCFHE on Twitter @foxhomeent

THE ILLUSIONIST BLU-RAY DISC + DVDStreet Date:June 8, 2010Prebook Date:May 12, 2010Screen Format:Widescreen – 1.85:1Audio:English 5.1 DTS HD Master Audio, English and French 5.1 Dolby DigitalSubtitles:NoneU.S. Rating:PG-13Total Run Time:109 minutesClosed Captioned:Yes
    *1997: Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role in a Motion Picture: Primal Fear (1996)
    **2009: Best Performance by an Actor in a Mini-Series or a Motion Picture Made for Television: “John Adams” (2008)

[​IMG]

2. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    This was one of the first films I watched all the way through on Netflix Instant Streaming. I'm strongly considering getting this on Blu, it was a great story and I bet the period look benefits from the higher quality that disks provide.

3. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW
    Been waiting for this one since I rented it on DVD some time ago (since I never got into HDD). Hopefully, the HD transfer gets a solid port to BD -- and glad to see the combo pack release (presumably w/out going the flipper combo route).

Hmmm... Odd. For some reason, I thought this was previously released on HDD, but now, I can't find reviews of that version (to get an idea what to expect). Maybe I got confused by the Italian import BD or the Canadian Alliance BD...

_Man_

4. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    This is a must buy. I own the dvd, no longer now that the Blu is coming. Fantastic film!

5. Hollywoodaholic

Hollywoodaholic Edge of Glory?

Wayne
    I think you're right this was previously released on BD because I just saw 6 used copies for less than $15 at my local Movie Stop.

6. Toronto Argonauts

David Thompson
    I received The Illusionist on Blu Ray as a Christmas gift last year.
    Perhaps it was only released in Canada?
    Cheers,
    David

7. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    I wonder how netflix and blockbuster online will ship these, that is if there will be rental versions that
    aren't flippers.

8. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell Played With Dinosaurs Member

Johnny Angell
    Do I read that correctly? You have to watch the SD DVD to listen to the commentary?

9. WillG

WillG Producer

That's not an uncommon thing. Fox/MGM has done this for plenty of releases. Bare Bones BD but bundled with the DVD that contains all the special features. But, is BD quality that important when listening to a commentary?

10. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    The MGM/Fox release of The Thomas Crown Affair which I reviewed a week or so ago did that very thing.

11. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    Really?
    I'm still watching the movie even if the sound coming out is just a guy talking about the movie.

12. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW
    This one is not a flipper combo, is it? It's a Fox release, and the info doesn't sound like they're trying the flipper combo -- I sure hope not anyway. Can anyone confirm?

_Man_

13. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell
    My point exactly. If I've bought a blu-ray and I've got the equipment, why should I have to watch SD just to get the commentary. How hard could it have been to include the commentary on the blu? Either it would have cost more money to license for both discs or the studio has it's head up its ....

Come on, is this rocket science? Would anybody on this board design it this way? Even if you don't mind watching SD to get the commentary, is that how'd you'd do it?

14. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

As did the MGM/Fox release of To Live and Die in L.A.

It sounds like they're doing exactly what was done with To Live and Die -- including a copy of the existing DVD, along with a barebones Blu-ray, which was probably cheaper to author and reproduce than a Blu-ray that includes all the special features. For all we know, it'll be the same encode as that used by Alliance in Canada.

I'm not defending the practice, because I don't like it either, but I'm sure it's a cost issue.

15. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW
    Hmmm... Have they actually recycled an Alliance encode (for previous Canadian release) before? If they do that, hopefully, they at least bother to put some menus, chapter stops, etc. on the disc. IIRC (from reviews), the Alliance Canadian disc didn't even have basic navigational features like menus.

Also, not too sure about this one, but Alliance transfers/encodes can be very dodgy from what I've read.

_Man_

16. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell
    I guess I've been lucky and this hasn't been done to a disc I wanted. I sure will be looking closer at the specs from now on. I think it is highly unlikely I'll be willing to buy a movie produced this way.

17. Josh Dial

Josh Dial Cinematographer

Josh Dial
    Some of the ideas thought up for blu-ray releases rival DIVX in their idiocy.

And regarding the Alliance releases, I can confirm that yes, most of the releases here in Canada are downright bad. Enough so, that I have to research each and every release by them. Past transgressions include the wrong aspect ratio for Equilibrium, and a brutal transfer for Ella Enchanted. Further, it's common to not have subtitles, which is enfuriating, and menus and chapter stops are rare; it's almost like someone mastered some of the releases using built-in Windows authoring software (no joke). There are even a few releases that are 1080i, not 1080p. Cold Mountain was a decent Alliance BD release, IIRC, so there's at least some good ones--they are just rare.

18. WillG

WillG Producer

To me, that sounds like throwing to baby out with the bathwater. I though people usually say around here it's the A/V quality of the movie first and foremost while extras are of secondary concern. Based on that, who cares if you have to watch a commentary with "only" DVD quality picture. Suddenly that's not good enough anymore? And isn't keeping costs down, assuming that is the case, a good thing?

I guess it just doesn't bother me that much. If I'm listening to commentary, I'm doing it to hear someone discuss the movie. I'm not tremendously concerned if it's a HD picture or not and in 99% of cases, I'm only going to listen to the commentary once. I'd prefer it this way over a double dip. And you get a DVD copy of the movie as well that you can take pretty much anywhere.

What would piss me off is if the studio eventually stopped including the DVD so then you get no special features on your BD purchase.

19. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

I have the Alliance version of The Illusionist, and it's serviceable, though not great.

My comment was pure speculation. For all we know, the Blu-ray will be a beautiful new transfer, as was the case with To Live and Die in L.A. Any fan who passed on that one because the special features were on a separate disc would be making a mistake, IMO. With The Illusionist, we'll just have to wait for reviews.

20. Josh Dial

Josh Dial Cinematographer

Josh Dial
    Originally Posted by WillG That's been one of the major points of discussion since the forum began (or at least when I joined in 2000); most threads where a lack of special features, especially in a so-called "special edition" (not pertinent for this release), eventually move on a tangent about "the movie being the key" versus the "format promotes the total experience" et cetera. There are vocal proponents on both sides.