What's new

TCFHE Press Release: The Great Escape (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Thanks for those that viewed this disc and for sharing their thoughts. Again, the disc is what I expected it to be which is a far cry from a gloom and doom scenario. It could've been better with more financial investment from the studio. However, at such a low price point, I think this disc is a bargain and as I stated on Monday, it's an improvement over the prior DVDs. The troubled scenes that have always been there due to the way they were filmed, are still there, but don't seem as bad as on prior video releases.

I concluded a long time ago that it's best to judge these discs on your own terms and not based on somebody else's conclusions. Those other people, aren't seeing and hearing these discs with your senses, not watching or listening on your HT equipment nor are they doing so in your environment or evaluating with your personal expectations and film knowledge. This release will have its detractors, but I think most will be satisfied with this BD.

Geoff_D

Supporting Actor
Thanks for your comments, gentlemen. My bullshit detector went way over into the red when I read that site's review, and I said as much over there, although latterly I do admit to being slightly perturbed by the aliasing evident in the caps (yep, I mentioned the c word, sorry Bruce). However, it clearly doesn't impinge on real world viewing, TGE being soft-as-shot with its fair share of dupes, and the comments about the colour are very encouraging. Hopefully I'll get mine in a few days.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Thanks for the comments, gentlemen. My bullshit detector went way over into the red when I read that site's review, and I said as much over there, although latterly I do admit to being slightly perturbed by the aliasing evident in the caps
I am not going to trash the other site.

However, that other site has been responsible for causing more
unnecessary panic than I care to remember. How many times
have people looked at their screen caps, gotten riled up because
they sense a problem, only to find once they purchased the disc
there is no problem at all?

I constantly try and remind people not to scrutinize screen caps.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Thanks for the in-depth description of the transfer, Bruce. I am glad to read that this is just another over-reaction from people who do not understand how certain films look. My copy arrived yesterday, and I hope to watch it tonight. Getting a decent quality transfer of such a great film for less than $10 is quite a bargain, if you ask me.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Whew, glad to hear these reports! I received mine yesterday, but did not have a chance to look at it yet. I'll try to make time to watch it over the weekend (long movie).

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I concluded a long time ago that it's best to judge these discs on your own terms and not based on somebody else's conclusions. Those other people, aren't seeing and hearing these discs with your senses, not watching or listening on your HT equipment nor are they doing so in your environment or evaluating with your personal expectations and film knowledge. This release will have its detractors, but I think most will be satisfied with this BD.
Agreed; although I would add that (much like reviews of content) I try to find technical reviewers who mirror my sensibilities to some degree to arrive at some approximation of what to expect on a given disc.

My copy of The Great Escape is on its way. I was debating purchasing this title given some of the comments that I've read online but decided that the price point was low enough to justify an upgrade from the DVD release even if it did not achieve its full potential.

In some ways I hate to endorse non-optimal releases, via a purchase; but given the odds of a better release anytime soon I decided to order it. (I'm not getting any younger. :))

- Walter.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Walter Kittel said:
Agreed; although I would add that (much like reviews of content) I try to find technical reviewers who mirror my sensibilities to some degree to arrive at some approximation of what to expect on a given disc.

My copy of The Great Escape is on its way. I was debating purchasing this title given some of the comments that I've read online but decided that the price point was low enough to justify an upgrade from the DVD release even if it did not achieve its full potential.

In some ways I hate to endorse non-optimal releases, via a purchase; but given the odds of a better release anytime soon I decided to order it. (I'm not getting any younger. :))

- Walter.
You and me, both!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
RAH has posted his review so it's pretty clear from the people on this forum that has seen this BD that it has their overall approval/recommendation. To purchase it or not, is your decision to make.

gruagach

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Henry
Good news. I bundled my order with a release next week to avoid shipping charges. The Great Escape is one of my all-time faves.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Ronald Epstein said:
I am not going to trash the other site.

However, that other site has been responsible for causing more
unnecessary panic than I care to remember. How many times
have people looked at their screen caps, gotten riled up because
they sense a problem, only to find once they purchased the disc
there is no problem at all?

I constantly try and remind people not to scrutinize screen caps.
Amen! I've been railing about it for years now. And you are absolutely correct about the unnecessary panic - it's appalling.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Regarding the "reviewer" on the other site, Michael Reuben was a moderator here and a great one at that. I always enjoyed his posts. Just wanted to say that. He's been getting a lot of heat here. Not saying its right or wrong just commenting on his time here.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Tino said:
Regarding the "reviewer" on the other site, Michael Reuben was a moderator here and a great one at that. I always enjoyed his posts.

Just wanted to say that. He's been getting a lot of heat here. Not saying its right or wrong just commenting on his time here.
Hopefully, reviews can be the subject of discussion without calling into question the personalities of the reviewers. Hopefully. I've read Michael's review and I have no opinion as of yet on its merits as I haven't received my copy of The Great Escape.

Regardless of what one thinks of the review, Michael was always a class act on the HTF and someone whose postings I invariably enjoyed reading. His comments regarding the cinematography of Michael Mann's Heat and how the Blu-ray release showcased that aspect of the film were an example of the types of insight Michael could bring to a subject.

- Walter.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Regardless of what one thinks of the review, Michael was always a class act on the HTF and someone whose postings I invariably enjoyed reading.
He was an excellent reviewer here whose views were usually always
in agreement with the rest of the membership that read them regularly.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Walter Kittel said:
Hopefully, reviews can be the subject of discussion without calling into question the personalities of the reviewers. Hopefully. I've read Michael's review and I have no opinion as of yet on its merits as I haven't received my copy of The Great Escape.

Regardless of what one thinks of the review, Michael was always a class act on the HTF and someone whose postings I invariably enjoyed reading. His comments regarding the cinematography of Michael Mann's Heat and how the Blu-ray release showcased that aspect of the film were an example of the types of insight Michael could bring to a subject.

- Walter.
Walter,

For the life of me, I don't understand why people have to get so personal when it comes to these type of film/disc discussions. I can understand why a certain poster will have issues with Michael regarding the usage of that poster's prior comments in his BD review. However, the rest of us are bystanders in that public disagreement and should remain so without fanning those flames over here.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Tino said:
Regarding the "reviewer" on the other site, Michael Reuben was a moderator here and a great one at that. I always enjoyed his posts.Just wanted to say that. He's been getting a lot of heat here. Not saying its right or wrong just commenting on his time here.
+1

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Ronald Epstein said:
He was an excellent reviewer here whose views were usually always
in agreement with the rest of the membership that read them regularly.
And on a personal level, I think most people here would say that Michael is a great guy as well. Always friendly, knowledgable and funny.

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
I got it today at Best Buy with their current promotion for a total of $5.43. So even if the Blu has a non-skippable introduction to the movie by Miley Cyrus I will still think it's worth the upgrade.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks