What's new

TCFHE Press Release: The Great Escape (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
CELEBRATE THE 50th ANNIVERSARY OF
THE GREAT ESCAPE

img1.jpg

The Action-Packed Adventure Classic Breaks Out onto Blu-ray
For the First Time Ever May 7 With Over Three Hours of Extras

Film Will Be Honored Throughout the Year Including a
Special Engagement at the TCM Classic Film Festival in April

LOS ANGELES, CA (March 25, 2013) – In celebration of the birthday of iconic Hollywood legend Steve McQueen who would have turned 83-years-old yesterday, Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Studios and Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment are proud to announce that THE GREAT ESCAPE will arrive on Blu-ray for the first time on May 7, 2013. Directed by Academy Award® nominee John Sturges,* catch one of AFI’s “100 Most Thrilling American Films” in an all-new masterful 4K transfer.

In honor of its 50th anniversary, Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Studios and Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment will host events around the world to showcase the remastered Blu-ray. THE GREAT ESCAPE restoration will be screened at the TCM Classic Film Festival in Los Angeles April 25-28 and the film will receive a limited theatrical re-release in cities across the globe, with additional initiatives coming throughout the year.

Based on a true story, THE GREAT ESCAPE is “a motion picture that entertains, captivates, thrills and stirs” (Variety). In 1943, the Germans opened a maximum security prison-of-war camp, designed to hold even the craftiest escape artists. By doing so, they unwittingly assembled the finest escape team in military history - brilliantly portrayed by Steve McQueen, James Garner, Charles Bronson, and James Coburn- who worked on what became the largest prison breakout ever attempted. The Blu-ray comes fully loaded with over three hours of special features including commentary with Director Sturges and crew, multiple making of featurettes, the original theatrical trailer and more.

* Best Director; Bad Day at Black Rock (1956)

THE GREAT ESCAPE Blu-ray Features:

Audio Commentary by Director John Sturges, Cast & Crew

The Great Escape: Bringing Fact to Fiction

The Great Escape: Preparations for Freedom

The Great Escape: The Flight to Freedom

The Great Escape: A Standing Ovation

The Great Escape: The Untold Story

The Great Escape: The Untold Story – Additional Interviews

A Real Virgil Hilts: A Man Called Jones

Return to The Great Escape

Original Theatrical Trailer

THE GREAT ESCAPE BLU-RAY: (Catalog # M122847)
Screen Format:
16:9 (2.35:1)
Audio:
English 5.1 DTS-HD-MA

Spanish 2.0 Mono DD

French & Other Language Audio Feature 5.1 DTS
Subtitles:
English, French, Spanish
U.S. Rating:
NR
Total Run Time:
05:31:51
Closed Captioned:
Yes

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
About 50 years ago, I first viewed this great film in a movie theater and after, at least, 50 viewings since then I'm going to view it again in 1080p.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Ordered mine earlier this AM. Yipppeeeeee. Can't wait for a double feature night at my house of The Great Escape and The Dirty Dozen in Bluray!!!

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
As long as this is a restoration and not the crap that was screened last year at a Cinemark Classics series, it will be most welcomed.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
You know what? Just looking at the cover art, I can't say that I am overly in love with it..... ...but doing a search for artwork on prior releases has given me a new-found love for the new cover
ge2.jpg
The Great Escape.gif
$(KGrHqZHJCYE--b4dVwtBP4L6ijryg~~60_35.JPG

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
I like the cover. It beats the original DVD cover by a country mile, and actually looks more like A movie poster if not THE movie poster. This is one of those rare occasions where the movie poster would not translate all that well to a BD cover. Observe:

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
The image of Steve McQueen on the motorcycle is iconic and does sell the film, though from the looks of the cover, that doesn't look like Steve.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I pre-ordered this last week.

I'm glad to see that all the special features from the SE were carried over.

Been waiting on the rope for this one for a long time.

David

Will*B

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Will
Strangely, the version of this film that I grew up with was the UK letterbox VHS, which was framed at approximately 2.55:1. (I think the original R1 DVD was the same?). I got used to this version, even though I believe there was too much picture information on the left of the frame.

Since getting the R2 DVD framed at 2.35:1, I've always thought it looks cropped!

It'll be wonderful to finally get this on BD, but (and I know this sounds stupid), I wish it was the 2.55:1 version!

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Finally!

The Criterion laserdisc had an okay cover art. I liked that the inner cover had a map of the camp. And the locations of Tom, Dick and Harry.

gruagach

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Henry
This will be a third purchase for me. And a second donation to the public library. I hope this transfer is done well.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I think 4 for me! :blush:

One was a laserdisc from MGM with such a wide aspect ratio, you can see the end of the cooler set when Steve McQueen is bouncing his baseball against the wall.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks